Old August 14th 05, 11:05 PM

In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Reg wrote:

Simple way. Wind a single layer 175uH choke on a ceramic form
with 24-26 wire. Good for 600ma and 160-10M.
I use these on all my HB from 30W to 1KW.
73 W7ZFB

=================================
I'm interested.
What is the approx diameter and length of the form and approx number
of turns?
----
Reg.

----------------------
No turns depends on dia of form but the size of the form don't matter.
I use forms from fried chokes, 3/8 inch to 1 inch.
With 26 wire and 3/8 dia, expect 3 inches of winding or so then use
analyzer to get about 170uH and check for zeros around 23MHz and a
second around 33MHz. Tweak the 170uH to get the zero at 23MHz in
situ but with the PINET unhooked...
GL 73 W7ZFB

Old August 15th 05, 12:09 AM
Reg Edwards

Thanks for info.

===========================

roups.com...

Old August 15th 05, 03:55 AM
Wes Stewart

On 14 Aug 2005 01:25:38 -0700, "Andrew VK3BFA"
wrote:

[snip]

the picture link that Wes posted looks pretty good aesthetically (and
evey toher way as well) - how was it done, how as the former made up -
looks like plastic, hopefully a follow-up post from The Man?

Ceramic.
Old August 17th 05, 03:14 AM
Andrew VK3BFA

wrote:

[snip]

the picture link that Wes posted looks pretty good aesthetically (and
evey toher way as well) - how was it done, how as the former made up -
looks like plastic, hopefully a follow-up post from The Man?

Ceramic.

Hi Wes,
well, not going to be able to homebrew THAT former then !

73 de VK3BFA Andrew

Old August 17th 05, 02:23 PM
Tim Shoppa

how was it done, how as the former made
up - looks like plastic,

Ceramic.

well, not going to be able to homebrew THAT former then !

What's wrong with, say, G-10 glass epoxy rod for winding RF chokes
around?

Is it flammability/gasses made in a choke fire that would make G-10 be
not preferred?

Tim.

Old August 18th 05, 03:27 PM
Andrew VK3BFA

Tim Shoppa wrote:
how was it done, how as the former made
up - looks like plastic,

Ceramic.

well, not going to be able to homebrew THAT former then !

What's wrong with, say, G-10 glass epoxy rod for winding RF chokes
around?

Is it flammability/gasses made in a choke fire that would make G-10 be
not preferred?

Tim.

Hi Tim,
got no idea really - over the years I have sort of got used to things
bursting into flames occassionally(sp) hi hi , so dont worry about it
but just give it a go and see what happens. I also dont leave things
running un-attended, so am not the complete lunatic I would seem.

To me, the main criteria is whats on hand - there are not REALLY huge
voltages and currents there, so a bit of latitude in the materials
selection process seems to me, at any rate, quite reasonable.

No doubt one of the space shuttle designers on this group will promptly
debunk my theories.....

And yes, I sometimes DO represent the lunatic fringe of radio - guess I
never really grew up. But I have fun.....

Andrew VK3BFA