Old August 14th 05, 06:04 AM
Williams

Default SSB Voice on S-38D by twisting wires

I've had this Hallicrafters S-38D for 4 years, and finally I read how to get SSB voice --phone-- on it. Lower sideband.
Not a word about this capability anywhere else I've looked in the interim.
Now, maybe, the same thing can be done with the S-38A B C and E ["E" what ain't got the little white plastic knob on the back].
I MEAN, NOT ONE FORNICATING WORD, ANYWHERE!
Anyway, ya gotta Yahoo search " "S-38D" " and click on the URL that has http://www.thes38guy.com ...31x.html
Then ya click on his S-38 mod... which ain't a mod... just moving the wires... ostensibly like they supposed to be, anyway.
I've had some computer glitches and haven't been able to cut and paste the URL into here.
The strongly whistling BFO also helps ya spot signals.
Now, I did wrap the wires REAL DARN GOOD 2-3 complete turns, which may be overkill, but I ain't complaining.
Love Ya, Baby!
Old August 14th 05, 06:31 AM
-ex-

Williams wrote:

I've had this Hallicrafters S-38D for 4 years, and finally I read how to
get SSB voice --phone-- on it. Lower sideband.
Not a word about this capability anywhere else I've looked in the interim.
Now, I did wrap the wires REAL DARN GOOD 2-3 complete turns, which may
be overkill, but I ain't complaining.
Love Ya, Baby!

Ya shoulda asked earlier, Jimmy. And puleeze kill the html posting
while you're at it!

Now here's the rest of the story. I notice you mentioned Lower sideband
specifically. If the BFO is tuned properly you should be able to get
both sidebands but since the S-38* is a "small" anchor its best
sensitivity will be in the lower bands which are mostly lower sideband.

If you find yourself unable to tune Upper sideband...say for example,
stations above 10 MHz, the BFO may need tweaking. Since you've been in
there messing around I guess you know where the adjustable BFO coil is.

The quickie method is to find a quiet place on the dial...and adjust the
BFO coil thru its rotation. You should hear a point where the 'rushing
noise' (no not the Russian woodpecker noise) passes thru what would
appear to be a center point. Set it on that magic spot. Done. Then you
can fine-tune USB stations off to one side of Donald Duck and LSB
stations will tune in off to the other side with the front panel Bandspread.

Many guys encounter non-working BFOs in S-38* and although the
Flintstone gimmick coupling scheme is always suspect, often the IF freq
vs BFO freq have drifted so far away from each other that it appears
that the BFO doesn't work.

I'll have my girl send you an invoice Monday Morning for this advice.

-Bill

Old August 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Williams

My apologies for the HTML. I kill it, but it keeps coming back!
My girl will reply to your girl.