Old September 5th 05, 03:10 PM
gianfranco

Default Dayton and other Hamfest

I live in Italy and some years I went to visit Dayton hamvention .
Really impressive for me coming from Europe .
Now I would know if there are in the USA other
similar hamfests where and some comments from the american collegues .
My wish is to try to visit some other hamfest .
Thenks for your help
Gianfranco

Old September 5th 05, 10:52 PM
Mr Fed UP

You can check out the ARRL data base http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html
if it is available to everyone. I don't think you have to have member
access.
BUT remember that some of the hamfests listed maybe as small as just 20
or 30 folks selling personal gear. If you find one your interested in I
suggest
you contact the club or view the links posted. Then again ask on the
newsy group about particular hamfests.

Cheers 73 K4TWO Gary
FWIW nothing compares to size for Dayton.... or cost

Old September 7th 05, 01:37 AM
kh

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:10:57 UTC, "gianfranco"
wrote:

I live in Italy and some years I went to visit Dayton hamvention .
Really impressive for me coming from Europe .
Now I would know if there are in the USA other
similar hamfests where and some comments from the american collegues .
My wish is to try to visit some other hamfest .
Thenks for your help
Gianfranco

A large regional hamfest is the farfest this weekend. It's also
called the Gaithersburg hamfest.

Speaking of Gaithersburg, if you google for "R-9xx Collins", you'll
get a page that discusses the fabled R-390A that had a factory built
LED digital display in place of the Veeder-Root mechanical counter.

About 30 years ago I saw one of these for sale at Gaithersburg. It
wasn't a homebrew job, the vendor had the manual for it, I recall
that he fanned it and showed folks the circuit diagrams. That's
diagrams, plural.

So you Collins types, a piece of trivia, the "R-9xx" is real. I was
"this close" to it. I wonder where it is today. I bet that an
R-9xx would make an SX-88 or KW-1 look cheap.

an aside, at Berryville a few weeks ago, a fellow had both an
HF-380 and a beater KWM-2. This thing had a binding PTO, was
missing tubes, and the cabinet that looked like it had been hammered
by elves. After mulling it over, I'm interested in the M-2, if
anyone knows the seller, a 3 from Pennsylvania, I'd like to dicker
with him.

de ah6gi/4 email is my call without the /4 at attglobal.net

Thanks!

Old September 7th 05, 02:32 AM
Chuck Harris

kh wrote:

Speaking of Gaithersburg, if you google for "R-9xx Collins", you'll
get a page that discusses the fabled R-390A that had a factory built
LED digital display in place of the Veeder-Root mechanical counter.

About 30 years ago I saw one of these for sale at Gaithersburg. It
wasn't a homebrew job, the vendor had the manual for it, I recall
that he fanned it and showed folks the circuit diagrams. That's
diagrams, plural.

So you Collins types, a piece of trivia, the "R-9xx" is real. I was
"this close" to it. I wonder where it is today. I bet that an
R-9xx would make an SX-88 or KW-1 look cheap.

One of the ways I make a living is designing prototype equipment for
the US Army. I have in the past modified items that were in the usual
military supply stream to add features that were desired by my customer.

The unit you saw could very well be a modification that was done by some
nameless vendor, like myself. Collins, or any of the other R390 manufacturers
likely had nothing to do with it.

-Chuck
Old September 8th 05, 02:24 AM
kh

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:32:44 UTC, Chuck Harris
wrote:

kh wrote:

[...]

Yes. Or not. Who knows?

Did you check out the R-390 website? They speculate as to the
existance of the R-9xx, a fabled variant of the R-390A that came
with an LED digital readout.

I'm verifying that such a beast exists. I . saw . it.

There is an R-9xx, an R-390 variation with an LED display in place
of the Veeder-Root counter.

How did it come about? Who built it? Donno.

I can say that it did *not* look home brew, nor did it appear to be
an engineering prototype in the sense of a "proof of concept".

It had a metal bezel that was well finished and the vendor had a
thick technical manual for it. He fanned the pages and showed the
schematic diagrams.

I didn't say that Collins made it. I said that it is documented on
a site dedicated to the R-390 and you can find it by searching for
"Collins" and "R-390" or go to http://R-390A.NET

Obviously there were not hundreds of these things made. It is also
unlikely that there was only ONE, a one-off built in a lab.

I'm *guessing* that there were several, perhaps as many as a few
dozen built, probably for NSA, but that is *guessing*. If the
customer was NSA, that would explain why few have "escaped" to the
wild.

I saw it at the Gaithersburg Hamfest in the mid-1970's. I only saw
one so that is all I can testify to.

There are other legendary receivers, some may be fables such as the
Signal/One CR-1500 which was pictured in ads but has not been seen
since.

Others, such as the Central Electronics 100R receiver designed by
Joe Batchelor, exist as production prototype models. This is
documented in the ARRL book on boatanchors.

de ah6gi/4

Old September 8th 05, 03:28 AM
Chuck Harris

kh wrote:

Yes. Or not. Who knows?

Did you check out the R-390 website? They speculate as to the
existance of the R-9xx, a fabled variant of the R-390A that came
with an LED digital readout.

I'm verifying that such a beast exists. I . saw . it.

Yes, I checked out the site. They said that there were rumours that
a R9xxx, with a LED display existed. No pictures, though. Not real
satisfying.

I know that I've seen one too. I seem to recall an EAA tag on it.

There is an R-9xx, an R-390 variation with an LED display in place
of the Veeder-Root counter.

How did it come about? Who built it? Donno.

I can say that it did *not* look home brew, nor did it appear to be
an engineering prototype in the sense of a "proof of concept".

Everything I mod looks a professional as the original manufacturer.
That is part of the job. It is surprisingly easy to do. I now have
a full machine shop at my disposal, but in the past, I have done
professional looking instruments using hand tools. I have engraved
panels, and other foolish things, to make a good looking product.

It had a metal bezel that was well finished and the vendor had a
thick technical manual for it. He fanned the pages and showed the
schematic diagrams.

That's easy stuff too. If it was a modification of an existing unit,
most of the original manual would apply. Pen a few words about the
modification, and make some schematics using Orcad, and you have a
professional looking manual. Even the etched aluminum ID tags
are easily made.

I didn't say that Collins made it. I said that it is documented on
a site dedicated to the R-390 and you can find it by searching for
"Collins" and "R-390" or go to http://R-390A.NET

Obviously there were not hundreds of these things made. It is also
unlikely that there was only ONE, a one-off built in a lab.

On this I disagree. I think the one I saw was likely one of maybe
10 units. It was very much like jobs I have done in the past.

I'm *guessing* that there were several, perhaps as many as a few
dozen built, probably for NSA, but that is *guessing*. If the
customer was NSA, that would explain why few have "escaped" to the
wild.

Surplus is surplus. Most everything the government buys ends up there
sooner or later in some form. NSA surplusses lots of stuff. Even
interesting things. Usually their gear has had the name plates and
serial numbers removed. (causes interesting problems here in the
peoples republic of MD where it is illegal to possess anything that
has had its serial number altered, or removed.)

I saw it at the Gaithersburg Hamfest in the mid-1970's. I only saw
one so that is all I can testify to.

As I have said, I have seen it too. Probably at the same G'burg fest
as you saw it in... I am a MD boy. I know I could do one just as well
as they did... if someone were willing to pay my freight.

-Chuck