Old November 5th 05, 02:18 PM
Lazy Senior

Default Viking Ranger and PTT

I just recapped my newly purchased Viking Ranger. It now works great. It
doesnt have the PTT mod. My manual has the instructions to do the mod
but it requires a Potter Brumfield LM 11 10,000 ohm relay. This relay is
no longer made and I havent been able to find a suitable replacement for it.

My thought is to use a 12 volt relay with maybe a small 12v supply
built-in to the Ranger or maybe a 12v wall wart.

Has anyone done this PTT without using the LM11 relay? Maybe there is a
better, easier way to add PTT. I dont want to re-invent the wheel.

Thanx

Lazy Senior
Old November 5th 05, 02:33 PM
gb

"Lazy Senior" wrote in message
I just recapped my newly purchased Viking Ranger. It now works great. It
doesnt have the PTT mod. My manual has the instructions to do the mod but
it requires a Potter Brumfield LM 11 10,000 ohm relay. This relay is no
longer made and I havent been able to find a suitable replacement for it.

My thought is to use a 12 volt relay with maybe a small 12v supply
built-in to the Ranger or maybe a 12v wall wart.

Has anyone done this PTT without using the LM11 relay? Maybe there is a
better, easier way to add PTT. I dont want to re-invent the wheel.

Thanx

Lazy Senior

Send a message (or call on phone) to Dee Almquist, W4PNT.
Dee does excellent Ranger restorations -- and can advise you of the relay
and modification approach that he performs.

Here is his web site
http://w4pnt.8k.com/

w9gb

Old November 5th 05, 02:35 PM
gb

"Lazy Senior" wrote in message
I just recapped my newly purchased Viking Ranger. It now works great. It
doesnt have the PTT mod. My manual has the instructions to do the mod but
it requires a Potter Brumfield LM 11 10,000 ohm relay. This relay is no
longer made and I havent been able to find a suitable replacement for it.

My thought is to use a 12 volt relay with maybe a small 12v supply
built-in to the Ranger or maybe a 12v wall wart.

Has anyone done this PTT without using the LM11 relay? Maybe there is a
better, easier way to add PTT. I dont want to re-invent the wheel.

Thanx

Lazy Senior

Dee' restoration photos and facilities

Screen printing
http://w4pnt.8k.com/screenprinting.html

Cabinet refinishing
http://w4pnt.8k.com/refinishing.html

w9gb

Old November 5th 05, 03:19 PM
Darrell

No problem. Just use a diode and filter capacitor and tie it to the
filament line. I've done it. It will work fine.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO
Old November 5th 05, 10:02 PM
Lazy Senior

Darrell wrote:
No problem. Just use a diode and filter capacitor and tie it to the
filament line. I've done it. It will work fine.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

This sounds interesting and maybe easier than the 10,000 ohm relay
route. And drawbacks to using the filament power?

Lazy Senior

Old November 6th 05, 03:31 AM
Darrell

Lazy Senior wrote in news:tZ9bf.8302$Q27.7853
@trnddc02:

Darrell wrote:
No problem. Just use a diode and filter capacitor and tie it to the
filament line. I've done it. It will work fine.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

This sounds interesting and maybe easier than the 10,000 ohm relay
route. And drawbacks to using the filament power?

Lazy Senior

No problems at all. I use a 6 volt dc relay, a diode and a 500 uF 25 VDC
capacitor. I've done it to a couple of Rangers. It works perfectly.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO
Old November 6th 05, 02:01 PM
Lazy Senior

Darrell wrote:

No problems at all. I use a 6 volt dc relay, a diode and a 500 uF 25 VDC
capacitor. I've done it to a couple of Rangers. It works perfectly.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

Darrell
Thanx, this appears to be a great idea and I am going to try it.

Lazy Senior
Old November 7th 05, 11:28 PM
Lazy Senior

Darrell wrote:
No problem. Just use a diode and filter capacitor and tie it to the
filament line. I've done it. It will work fine.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

I didnt have a 6vdc relay in the junk box, used a 12vdc relay instead.
Had to build a half wave doubler to get 13vdc off the filament line but
everything seems to work fine. Thanks for the idea.

Lazy Senior