Old November 15th 05, 09:31 PM
Steven Fritts

Default Nedd help with Swan 350

Hello All,
I picked up a really nice working Swan 350 at a hamfest this past
weekend. I bought it for nostalgic reasons as it was the kind of rig
my dad bought for me in 1965. I need info on how to fix the infamous
"Swan drift problem". Anyone have any websites I can go to get mods
for this rig including the drift fix?
Any help will be appreciated!

Steve W4SEF
Old November 15th 05, 10:31 PM
gil

The drift "problem" how long after turning it on does it keep drifting?
My Swan and Heathkits drift for the first 30-45 minutes after that they
are solid.

There is a Yahoo Swan group you might want to check out and join, lots
of good people in there that can help you out.

Good luck, 73 Gil

Old November 16th 05, 02:08 AM
WDØHCO

Easy! Everyone seems to forget this.... ok first if yours is a 350 or 350A
then the VFO compartment is at the bottom of the rig. Flip it over and
remove the bottom cover. If yours is a 350B, 350C and I think 350D's too the
VFO compartment is on the top. Remove the top cover.

Now everybody cleans all sections of the bandswitch with De-Oxit right ?

But look beside the vfo compartment right next to the bandswitch. See that
little metal cam arm connected from the bandswitch and goes into the VFO?

Thats RIGHT! It connects to a secondary switch wafer -inside- the VFO and
guess what - no one EVER cleans that switch! The wafer gets dirty/corroded
and its part of the VFO LC circuit! Look at the vfo schematic.

....so guess what happens when poor LC switch contacts get hot.... duh....

These wafers are supposed to be self wiping but I have seen them solid black
in color. One even had some green gunk growing on it ???

So De-Ox that sucker and your problems will most likely drift away.... :^)

FYI -the Swan 250, 260, 270, 400, 500, and 700 all had the same VFO cam
switch as well.

- Biz WDØHCO

FS: Swan stuff Eugene Rippen Swap 1 September 7th 04 12:48 AM
FS: Swan WM-2000 Wattmeter and Parting Out Swan 500C Dave Hollander Boatanchors 0 September 29th 03 06:39 AM
FS: Swan WM-2000 Wattmeter and Parting Out Swan 500C Dave Hollander Equipment 0 September 29th 03 06:39 AM
FS: Swan WM-2000 Wattmeter and Parting Out Swan 500C Dave Hollander Swap 0 September 29th 03 06:39 AM