Old November 21st 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
John, N9JG

Default Replacing pilot lights in Drake L-4B

I am planning to order meter illumination pilot lights for my Drake L-4B
from Play Things Of Past http://www.oldradioparts.com/. The pilot lights are
type 1850, 5V @90 ma, bayonet. I would like to know how easy/difficult it is
to replace these bulbs. I am hoping that all I need to do is to remove the
amplifier top cover. The instruction manual does not mention replacement of
these pilot lights. Maybe they did not anticipate that the amplifier would
still be in use after 30 years.

John, N9JG

(remove ".XremoveY" from above address)

Old November 21st 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
YT

I got to agree, if you run a 40 year old vacuum tube amplifier and have
to ask for help on changing a damn pilot lamp.....

Do you even know how to properly run the amp? Can you identify when your
amp is splatteing or non linear.

Heh, maybe its not even the pilot lamp but the fuse !!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I have heard it all now....for sure and certain.. This is the a
clear picture.. definitely an important message here for hams of all
ages.EVERYBODY. make a note of this discussion and remember it...Haney

Old November 21st 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

That's about it..... If your amp doesn't have the blue filters, you may
want to find them, too.

Old November 21st 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

K3HVG wrote:
That's about it..... If your amp doesn't have the blue filters, you may
want to find them, too.

If you can't find the blue filters, go to your local craft shop, and get
a can of the blue transparent liquid that is used to make wire flower
petals. (you dip a wire "outline" of a petal in this stuff, and it forms
a thin film, like a soap bubble, over the wire.)

The stuff forms an intensly blue/green transparent film that seems to withstand
the heat from the bulb quite nicely.

-Chuck
Old November 21st 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
John, N9JG

When my lights were workings, the light in the meters was blue.

Old November 21st 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Old November 21st 05, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger D Johnson

John, N9JG wrote:
I am planning to order meter illumination pilot lights for my Drake L-4B
from Play Things Of Past http://www.oldradioparts.com/. The pilot lights are
type 1850, 5V @90 ma, bayonet. I would like to know how easy/difficult it is
to replace these bulbs. I am hoping that all I need to do is to remove the
amplifier top cover. The instruction manual does not mention replacement of
these pilot lights. Maybe they did not anticipate that the amplifier would
still be in use after 30 years.

John, N9JG

(remove ".XremoveY" from above address)

I replaced the ones in my L-7 with common type 47's. The 6.3 volt
bulbs give adequate illumination and should last forever on 5 volts.
The 5 volt bulbs are kind of rare.
On the L-7 all you have to do is remove the cover. The bulbs are in
sockets right at the meters. I presune the L-4 is the same.

73, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) to reply

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/
Old November 21st 05, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
John, N9JG

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Yes, it looks like the bulbs are
socketed (aimed towards the front panel), but it wasn't clear to me if I had
to remove the front panel in order to get maneuvering room. As others have
suggested, it should be a "lark" to replace the bulbs unless the glass
breaks off with the bayonet base still in the socket. Then it might be time
for some strong language.

Old November 21st 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Andrews

John, N9JG wrote:
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Yes, it looks like the bulbs are
socketed (aimed towards the front panel), but it wasn't clear to me if I had
to remove the front panel in order to get maneuvering room. As others have
suggested, it should be a "lark" to replace the bulbs unless the glass
breaks off with the bayonet base still in the socket. Then it might be time
for some strong language.

In the (unlikely?) event that the glass breaks, you can use an
appropriately-sized bit of rubber (the eraser on the end of a pencil,
or one of the slip-over erasers) as a tool for removal: just push it
down into the metal base as far as you can, then twist. I've done this
more than a few times with old pilot lamps.

--
Don't join the book burners. Don't think you are going to conceal
faults by concealing evidence that they ever existed.