Old November 24th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Lazy Senior

Default fresh boatanchors, anyone?

Steve wrote:
How about offering these as kits? Maybe even offering them
with or without tubes? If you're able to keep the cost low I
think you have a shot.

Steve

I dunno, a company called Heathkit tried that and went belly up.

Lazy senior
Old November 24th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

Lazy Senior wrote:
Steve wrote:

How about offering these as kits? Maybe even offering them
with or without tubes? If you're able to keep the cost low I
think you have a shot.

Steve

I dunno, a company called Heathkit tried that and went belly up.

Heathkit didn't go belly up because kits were not profitable;
Heathkit went out of business because their new owner had no
interest in a kit company, but rather wanted the assets of the
Zenith computer company.

Heath continues to this day making security devices, lamp fixtures,
and a number of other mundane products.

-Chuck
Old November 26th 05, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
David G. Nagel

Lazy Senior wrote:
Steve wrote:

How about offering these as kits? Maybe even offering them
with or without tubes? If you're able to keep the cost low I
think you have a shot.

Steve

I dunno, a company called Heathkit tried that and went belly up.

Lazy senior

No. They were very succussful until another company who's name starts
with a "Z" bought them out so that they could get a foothold in the home
computer business. They ("Z") left Heathkit to flounder without proper
finances until Heath closed. With proper finance and control a company
could succeed with out much trouble. There are several "kit" companies
out there that seem to be doing very well.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old November 27th 05, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael A. Terrell

"David G. Nagel" wrote:

No. They were very succussful until another company who's name starts
with a "Z" bought them out so that they could get a foothold in the home
computer business. They ("Z") left Heathkit to flounder without proper
finances until Heath closed. With proper finance and control a company
could succeed with out much trouble. There are several "kit" companies
out there that seem to be doing very well.

Dave WD9BDZ

According to trade journals at the time Zenith wanted to bid on a
large computer contract with the US government, but they were not
building computers yet. So, they bought Heathkit to get their existing
government business, and to get the contract.

I've scrapped some of the "XT clones" from that contract and they
were a joke. Both the regular and the "Tempest" hardware. I still have
some of their "Z DOS" manuals and the printed source code for the BIOS
used in the computers. Zenith put the non Tempest version in the
Heathkit stores, and a board was sold by a third party to let you run
MSDOS software on the system. The I/O ports were in different locations
from the standard "XT" design and some of the BIOS calls were different
so that the software written for regular "XT" computers wouldn't run on
their design.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old November 27th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black

"Michael A. Terrell" ) writes:
"David G. Nagel" wrote:

No. They were very succussful until another company who's name starts
with a "Z" bought them out so that they could get a foothold in the home
computer business. They ("Z") left Heathkit to flounder without proper
finances until Heath closed. With proper finance and control a company
could succeed with out much trouble. There are several "kit" companies
out there that seem to be doing very well.

Dave WD9BDZ

According to trade journals at the time Zenith wanted to bid on a
large computer contract with the US government, but they were not
building computers yet. So, they bought Heathkit to get their existing
government business, and to get the contract.

Whatever Zenith wanted to do with the company, I don't think it's that
simple.

Circa 1976, Heathkit had to recall a 2M transceiver (I think it was
a handheld) because it was generating spurs, I think in the aero band.
If I recall, it wasn't that it couldn't be a clean output, but that
it couldn't be clean with the equipment the average ham had. So they
called them in, and eventually came up with a new design.

As times went by the equipment became more complicated. And then
it became harder and harder to make them something that anyone could
build. If in the fifties they'd sell a shortwave receiver kit with
the coil slugs "pre-adjusted", a couple of decades later they'd be
selling a kit that had some crucial circuitry in a preassembled module.

Over that same period, they'd be selling tube gear that was well
oriented towards hand wiring (so it made little difference whether
it was wired in a factory or by the end user) to solid state devices
on circuit boards. The latter was more conducive to automated manufacturing,
and the moreso the more years that passed. So the cost of manufacturing
went down (I got my DVD player two years ago for fifty dollars, and that
is far more complicated a device than any Heathkit till at least the
mid-seventies if not later), while the overhead of making something a kit
stayed the same or more.

Remember, Heathkit did not cater to the hobbyist, even if they were
among the customers. Heathkits were intended to be built by anyone.
And they were seen as a way of getting something a bit cheaper if
you were willing to put some time into the project. As time went
on, the automated manufacturing and one assumes overseas manufacturing
lowered the cost of manufactured equipment. A color tv set was still
a relatively major purchase forty years ago, while today if someone
needs a tv set they just go out and buy it that day. There became
less interest in building the kit except by a relative handful of
the population. I would think the mass consumer items, the tv sets
and the Boonie Bikes and such, helped to subsidize the amateur radio
equipment. If Heath had to live off the profits from just the ham
equipment, they wouldn't have lasted so many decades.

But towards the end, they had really complicated equipment for
sale to hams, and likely the "kit building" of those required
less time by the builder than the old gear, and it was expensive.
Heath had become less of a common name, and it seemed like
the later catalogs were slimmer and less interesting than
a couple of decades before.

Combine all these, and the kit business as done by Heath couldn't
survive.

The kit companies that have come along since, they cater to a much
more limited market. They cater to a hobbyist crowd, and while
they may need handholding, one would hope not as much as someone
walking in off the street who's never soldered and wants to save
some money by building that color tv set. Heath spelled out everything
in their manuals, while I suspect many of the more recent kit companies
say things like "stuff the board, solder the components, and then
turn it on" (not so brief, but not nearly as specific as Heath). That
saves money. And if you sell products where the kit building is
as important as the end project, ie a regen receiver kit where someone
can have fun building it and can have fun playing with something new,
but who doesn't expect to use it as a main receiver, then you are
dealing with a different market than Heath, where they were selling
the end items and they had to have a transceiver that was competitive
with what everyone else was selling, be it the HW-100 in the late
sixties or the Yaesu or Kenwood lookalike that was sold towards
the end of the company's life.

Michael VE2BVW

Old November 27th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David G. Nagel" wrote:

[...]

But it wasn't Zenith that killed Heathkit. Zenith liked the computer
business, and also liked selling TV's, both kit and non kit through the
Heath distribution system. For them, the kit division was like a stock
that pays dividends... money for no effort.

The death knell for Heath was sounded when Group Bull, a french conglomerate,
proffered a takeover bid for Zenith. Bull was interested in the highly
regarded Zenith laptop computers. Bull had absolutely no interest in the
kit company, so they stripped it of everything that wasn't bolted to the
floor, and sold it to itself, and mere shell without any solid assets...
Lots of IP, but no money, or stock, or supplies, or fixtures to use in
manufacturing.

Given that Heath was essentially gutted, fileted, and hung from a hook in
the meat locker, it is pretty amazing what they have done with themselves.
They still sell manuals for all of the gear that was sold before, and they
are making kits and educational trainers. Plus they have a fairly highly
regarded business in the home security and lighting industry. You can even
buy their products at Home Depot.... it takes more than a little bit of
"juice" to get shelf space in Home Depot.

-Chuck
Old November 26th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ben Bradley

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:34:40 GMT, Lazy Senior
wrote:

Steve wrote:
How about offering these as kits? Maybe even offering them
with or without tubes? If you're able to keep the cost low I
think you have a shot.

Steve

I dunno, a company called Heathkit tried that and went belly up.

While that's true (and several other companies have ceased selling
kits), it seems they never charged anywhere near what an "unassembled
Heathkit" sells for now (factoring in inflation), as they're more
properly called collector's items, rather than kits.
I've had the thought of having faceplates and chassis made,
assembling the parts and offering 'kits' of some of the more desirable
Heathkit models. Much of the work, the actual design and the writing
and debugging of the assembly manual, is already done for you. I'm
unlikely to actually do this myself, maybe some others can run with
it.
There may be some copyright problems with the manuals, as well as
possible legal problems with copying the design. Circa 1996 I called a
phone number for "the real Heathkit - the only place for legal Heath
manual copies, still covered by copyright" that I saw in some
magazine, asked about a couple manuals (transmission tube testor, $25
at hamfest, metal dector $5 at yard sale), and they were $30 each. I
went ahead and got the tube tester manual.
But I wonder if there would be some interest in having boatanchor
'kits' available of some specific models that might be popular. Such a
kit would likely cost more than a completed original can be bought
for, but I can imagine that some people would pay extra to be able to
build just one more "Heathkit."
At the prices they go for, true unassembled Heathkits are real
collector's items and are unlikely to be built, as that would destroy
their (dollar) value, at keast much more so than building a 'copy'
kit. This way, one could buy a 'kit' for its original purpose, to
build into a working product.
While selling such a kit may have legal hurdles with copyright and
copying the design, you can build your own for personal use with no
such problems.

The OP wrote:

based on schematics and design
principles that have gone into the public domain.

Hmm, would this include the older (1950's) Heathkits, or has what
remains of Heath Company renewed the copyrights?

Lazy senior

Old November 27th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael A. Terrell

The OP wrote:

based on schematics and design
principles that have gone into the public domain.

Hmm, would this include the older (1950's) Heathkits, or has what
remains of Heath Company renewed the copyrights?

Lazy senior

Why don't you ask them? They still sell educational materials, and at
least recently were still supping kits of parts to vocational
electronics schools.

http://www.heathkit.com/
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old November 29th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Well, I was thinking of general design principles cleanly rendered into
glass, not necessarily of creating true replica equipment.

There are actually a few modern day princples that could be rendered
into glass. One of them is the class-E RF amplifier. It would be very
nice to get 50 watts out of a triode mode RF pentode by wiring it the
same as a MOSFET.

The Eternal Squire