Old January 14th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

Default Thoughts on a Regen RX?

Hi Group, I am entertaining building anohter regen. My first attempt,
although pretty, was a mediocre performer- using a 3 section compactron
tube.
http://parelectronics.com/pics/regen2.jpg
Design goals a
1. plug in coils for band changing MW-20 MHz or so.
2. speaker level audio
3. smooth regen
4. prefer miniature tubes to octal.

Anyone care to post their favorite schematic/ links/ thoughts?

Tnx,

Dale W4OP

Old January 14th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
- exray -

Dale Parfitt wrote:

Hi Group, I am entertaining building anohter regen. My first attempt,
although pretty, was a mediocre performer- using a 3 section compactron
tube.
http://parelectronics.com/pics/regen2.jpg
Design goals a
1. plug in coils for band changing MW-20 MHz or so.
2. speaker level audio
3. smooth regen
4. prefer miniature tubes to octal.

Anyone care to post their favorite schematic/ links/ thoughts?

Tnx,

Dale W4OP

I'm guessing that thats the one from the GE book? I've not built that
one but have heard mixed reviews.
If you really want to build a stable and manageable kick-butter go
regen/superhet. The Regenodyne in its various iterations can be found
on the web and is highly recommended.
I'm just now winding up another revision of the George Grammar rig from
1941 with some added audio stages. I'm tickled (pun) with it! Another
one that is likeable is the ARRL SimpleX Super. I like old stuff and
have thoughts of building it with octals and plug-in coils

GL,
Bill
Old January 14th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
CLFE

"- exray -" wrote in message
Dale Parfitt wrote:

[...]

I have a "Science Fair" Regen receiver here which does the AM broadcast band
to 30 mhz. Personally, I think it sucks, but that's my opinion. I acquired
the full manual for it and am contemplating putting it up on E-Bay for
someone who may like Regens to play with. It "may" need the tuning touched
up a bit, but "I" don't have time. It's sat on my shelf for 99.8% of the
time I've owned it.

C.L.F.

Old January 14th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Edward Knobloch

Default Dovetron Product Detector

Hi, Gang

I'm thinking of adding a product detector to my HRO-50.
I see that Dovetron used to make an adapter that plugged into
the NBFM socket. Does anyone have any experience
with the Dovetron unit, and can anyone point me
to a schematic? BAMA and the ManualMan came up empty.

Thanks,
Ed Knobloch
Old January 14th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dave Stadt

"Edward Knobloch" wrote in message
Hi, Gang

I'm thinking of adding a product detector to my HRO-50.
I see that Dovetron used to make an adapter that plugged into
the NBFM socket. Does anyone have any experience
with the Dovetron unit, and can anyone point me
to a schematic? BAMA and the ManualMan came up empty.

Thanks,
Ed Knobloch

I have one in a Collins 75A2. It's pretty remarkable.

Old January 14th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
BFoelsch

A few years ago I had a notion to figure out why most kit regenerative
receivers just didn't work, despite their reputation for great sensitivity,
bla bla bla.

I looked at a few schematics and a few points really jumped out at me.
Basically, most standard Heathkit/KnightKit circuits are just Hartley or
Armstrong oscillators with variable plate or screen voltage, provided by a
potentiometer.. At first this sounds reasonable, but the goal of a
regenerative receiver is really that it NOT oscillate.

Most of the circuits have 2 fatal flaws, both of which lead to the same
result. The 2 flaws are grid-leak bias and resistance coupling to the
following audio stage. The problem is that these techniques cause a shift in
tube operating points as the signal strength changes, making it "snap" into
oscillation. This occurs because any signal, or impulse, or anything else
that drives the grid instantaneously positive causes grid current to flow
and charges the grid capacitor, biasing the grid negative and reducing the
plate current. This wouldn't be so bad except that the reduction in plate
current causes the plate voltage to rise, due to the coupling resistor in
the plate circuit. As the plate voltage increases the gain increases and the
thing snaps into oscillation, ready or not.

I put together a test unit using the Armstrong (tickler) circuit, but I used
NO grid condenser or resistor. Instead, I returned the grid circuit to a
0-20 volt regulated power supply (properly bypassed for RF, of course)so I
could control the grid bias manually. Also used choke coupling, actually the
primary of an output transformer in the plate circuit. Used a 6T4, and the
circuit would still work even with plate voltages below 30 volts.

I didn't fool around with it too much after I proved my point, but the thing
really did work pretty well, far better than any "kit" regenerative I have
ever seen. With regulated power supplies I could get some real sensitivity
and a smooth roll into regeneration. I was impressed. Never did make a real
project of it, but it was a good experiment.

If you go back and look at some of the pre-historic regenerative circuits
you will notice the same concepts at work. Most were choke coupled, and many
used variometers or "throttle condensers" to control regeneration. Again,
these techniques do not allow the DC operating point of the tube to change
with variations in signal strength.

Just food for thought.

Old January 15th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB

Hi Dale:

I have built a number of regen receivers. One of the great ones is in one
of the "How to Become a Radio Amateur" pamphlets. It was also in QST and
maybe in some of the Handbooks. It uses 2 x 6AQ5 tubes and can run a
speaker directly.

Regeneration is controlled by a pot in the screen and it is very smooth.

Fits all your requirements. If you need more details, I have the bbok
upstairs. I can get the QST date if that helps.

73, Colin K7FM

Old January 15th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Dale:

I have built a number of regen receivers. One of the great ones is in one
of the "How to Become a Radio Amateur" pamphlets. It was also in QST and
maybe in some of the Handbooks. It uses 2 x 6AQ5 tubes and can run a
speaker directly.

Regeneration is controlled by a pot in the screen and it is very smooth.

Fits all your requirements. If you need more details, I have the bbok
upstairs. I can get the QST date if that helps.

73, Colin K7FM

Hi Colin,

Nice to hear from you- if you have a title, and it made it to the Handbook-
perhaps I have it in one of the vintage ARRL Handbooks- otherwise, date of
the article will be helpful.

Dale

Old January 15th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Dale:

I have built a number of regen receivers. One of the great ones is in one
of the "How to Become a Radio Amateur" pamphlets. It was also in QST and
maybe in some of the Handbooks. It uses 2 x 6AQ5 tubes and can run a
speaker directly.

Regeneration is controlled by a pot in the screen and it is very smooth.

Fits all your requirements. If you need more details, I have the bbok
upstairs. I can get the QST date if that helps.

73, Colin K7FM

Thanks to the WEB, I have found a restoration article on this RX and a note
giving its original publication.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Apr01_restoration.html

Dale W4OP

Old January 15th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
BFoelsch

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi Dale:

I have built a number of regen receivers. One of the great ones is in
one of the "How to Become a Radio Amateur" pamphlets. It was also in QST
and maybe in some of the Handbooks. It uses 2 x 6AQ5 tubes and can run a
speaker directly.

Regeneration is controlled by a pot in the screen and it is very smooth.

Fits all your requirements. If you need more details, I have the bbok
upstairs. I can get the QST date if that helps.

73, Colin K7FM

Thanks to the WEB, I have found a restoration article on this RX and a
note giving its original publication.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Apr01_restoration.html

Dale W4OP

The complete construction article also appeared in the 1964 edition of "How
to Become A Radio Amateur." Don't know if it ever appeared in the Handbook.

I do have a copy of the article, but not handy. If you can wait 10 days or
so I can scan it for you.