Old November 30th 05, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default my new mobile install - any thoughts?

so I finally got my new IC208h installed in my 2002 Jeep Grand
Cherokee. I did a little research and some brainstorming, but my lack
of experience has me here hoping to get some thoughts on things.

I feed the radio from a relay that switches off the cigarette lighter
fuse, and feeds directly from the battery (as was somewhat reccommended
here). The antenna is a dual band hamstick, and feeds in via 3 types of
cable, including 18" of mini-coax to get through the liftgate seal.

The whole thing can be found at :
http://www.richardvalenta.com/radio/

I'd like to hear what people have to say about things, and I'm thinking
of clipping some of that excess RG58 by the antenna, and replacing the
PL259 end with a ring and a different mount from the hamstick people -
has anyone used a dual-band radio with this 'ring and spade ' type of
connection?

Ideas and thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Richard
N0TZC

Old December 1st 05, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick

That's a pretty nice installation, Richard. One thing I would do is
run the negative lead for the radio to the battery as well as the
positive lead. Having a relay in line is nice, but then you have to
leave the key on in the JGC when you want to use the radio. Sometimes
on ARES/RACES exercises, the radio is on all day. I don't mind
pushing the button after I start the ZJ, and again when I park it.

I always recommend using a larger gauge wire(s) from the battery
compartment. I bring them to posts under the back seat, then I have
plenty of power without any voltage drop for any equipment in the rear
of the vehicle. I actually use 4-gauge wire for both leads.

Working with large gauge wire in a vehicle can be a real pain. So I
take the easy way out and take my vehicles to an automobile stereo
installer. They work with large gauge wires all day, and their
workmanship is usually superb. Much better than I would ever do. I
think they charged me $30 for the labor, and I provided the wire,
terminals, etc. I did take out the passenger seat so they wouldn't
have to deal with that. Probably saved me a few bucks.

Finally, I would comment on the excess RG-58. Just cut it off and
install another connector. It sounds like you are trying to avoid
doing that, but it's really not that difficult. That's the only
change I would make in your installation. My other comments you can
save for another vehicle and another time.

Dick - W6CCD

Old December 1st 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dick -

I was thinking of cutting it off, and going with a simple ring and the
corresponding mount from the hamstick guys... when I say ring, I mean
something like....

http://www.firestik.com/images/coax-a.gif

But I've only seen that referenced at hamstick (who seems to target HF
more), and for CB installs. Is there a reasons for this? are ring &
spade cable ends not as effective for VHF & UHF use?

I'm always learning...

Richard
N0TZC

PS - thanks for being constructive, i made the same post on a board
online, and some guy made me feel like a fool on this- my first install
ever. its good to know there are guys out there who are willing to
help.

Old December 1st 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick

There is really no problem using either the ring and ground lead or
the coax connector. You don't run into problems until you get a lot
higher in frequency. The only thing is if you need to modify the
antenna mount in order to use the ring terminal, then it wouldn't make
sense to do it. If you use the ring, keep the leads as short as
possible. Especially the ground lead.

Dick

Old December 1st 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
CF

Looks good. Check out our Mobile Multi-Radio control box C250 on the
Commercial side of our website:

www.ncsradio.com