Old January 20th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Don Bowey

Default Regen receiver

I have posted the schematic and parts list of a 50s regenerative receiver
(224 K) on a.b.s.e., which I received from Colin, K7fm, This receiver has
been discussed on boatanchors.

It is part of a construction article, now a 4.7M pdf file, which I will post
if there is any interest for it. The project receiver is fairly typical of
what someone in the 50s might build as a shortwave listening receiver, or
for a beginning ham radio receiver.

To pique your interest, the detector uses what is a modified Hartley circuit
using an unusual selection of tube.

In the .pdf file, there is a 5Y3 tube power supply schematic, of 50s
overkill design.

Don

Old January 20th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
I have posted the schematic and parts list of a 50s regenerative receiver
(224 K) on a.b.s.e., which I received from Colin, K7fm, This receiver has
been discussed on boatanchors.

It is part of a construction article, now a 4.7M pdf file, which I will
post
if there is any interest for it. The project receiver is fairly typical
of
what someone in the 50s might build as a shortwave listening receiver, or
for a beginning ham radio receiver.

To pique your interest, the detector uses what is a modified Hartley
circuit
using an unusual selection of tube.

In the .pdf file, there is a 5Y3 tube power supply schematic, of 50s
overkill design.

Don

Hi Don,
I am in the midst of collectinf the parts just now. I'll post the finished
receiver in a couple of months.

73,

Dale W4OP

Old January 20th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Don Bowey

On 1/20/06 1:09 PM, in article zkcAf.38$Me5.31@trnddc05, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
[...]

That will be great. I think there is a better tube for the detector, but I
haven't pulled the charts yet.... 6BA6 comes to mind. Besides, 6 Boat Anchor
6 sounds fitting.

Don

Old January 21st 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dale Parfitt

"

That will be great. I think there is a better tube for the detector, but
haven't pulled the charts yet.... 6BA6 comes to mind. Besides, 6 Boat
Anchor
6 sounds fitting.

Don

Hi Don,

Colin suggested the 6BM5- pin for pin replacement.

Dale

Old January 21st 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
COLIN LAMB

There is an interesting quality about using the 6AQ5 tube, since it normally
is not used in receivers - except for audio output. Like the Mosley
receiver, only one tube is needed to be able to replace any bady tube. The
6AQ5 is somewhat unusual, however, in that it connects pin 1 and 7 together,
so there are few drop in replacement tubes.

The 6BM5 would be a drop in replacement with more gain. One other tube
should work as a drop in replacement - the 6BE6. Instead of pin 1 and 7
being connected, they go to separate control grids. Have not tried it, but
I think it will work.

6AQ5 tubes are still plentiful and cheap and it gives you something to talk
about if you get tired of talking about the weather. Here in NW Oregon, we
just say rain and then move on to something else.

Colin K7FM

Old January 21st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Don Bowey

On 1/20/06 10:07 PM, in article
, "COLIN LAMB"
wrote:

There is an interesting quality about using the 6AQ5 tube, since it normally
is not used in receivers - except for audio output. Like the Mosley
receiver, only one tube is needed to be able to replace any bady tube. The
6AQ5 is somewhat unusual, however, in that it connects pin 1 and 7 together,
so there are few drop in replacement tubes.

The 6BM5 would be a drop in replacement with more gain. One other tube
should work as a drop in replacement - the 6BE6. Instead of pin 1 and 7
being connected, they go to separate control grids. Have not tried it, but
I think it will work.

6AQ5 tubes are still plentiful and cheap and it gives you something to talk
about if you get tired of talking about the weather. Here in NW Oregon, we
just say rain and then move on to something else.

Colin K7FM

Being across the Big Muddy from you, I can relate to the rain comment.

I like the 6BE6 for lots of things. I used it once to add a product
detector to my 75A2 many years ago, by replacing a 6BA6 with it and then
doing some very minor rewiring.

Don

Old January 22nd 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

Ya know,
I remember the original article in QST about this 6AQ5 regen set. I
still have the magazines but can't remember the exact year.

I recall in the first paragraph, the author stated that, "some eyebrows
may be raised at using a beam audio tube for a detector". And as I
recall, he explained why. He just tried a number of different tubes for
smoothness of operation, and the 6AQ5 won.

I built my first two tube blooper in 1954 and used a 6J7G regen
detector and a 6C5GT one step AF amplifier driving a pair of Trimm 2000
ohm headphones.

It worked great and covered 80 and 40 meters.

John