Old May 3rd 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
PJ

Default Lots of ads

I'm thinking that this group has become a swap list for the professional
hawkers. Oh well. I guess I have nothing better to "ad."

PJ

Old May 3rd 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
YT

this list has been this way for years.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Phil Nelson

this list has been this way for years.

Sadly. I'm old enough to remember when people discussed interesting topics
relating to boatanchors in this group.

Now it's not worth tuning in more than two or three times a month . . . if
that.

If you filter out all the FA and FS garbage, there's nothing left to read.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old May 3rd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
YT

Yes, everything changes. And unmoderate groups succomb to commercial
pursuits quickly - and spam gets in even quicker.
However, even just last year I bought some nifty tubes and HRO coils from
guys here.
But yahoo and qth.com has the moderated groups for discussions.
2 cents worth.

Old May 3rd 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi All,
Phil, I don't think you're entirely correct there. I have found a
number of interesting things on this group. Information, related
stories, advice, it's all there. I personally use the board as a FS
site too, but I really DO try to keep it to a minimum. What grates on
my nerves are the folks that post ENDLESS FA ads here, touting their
wares (largely common stuff) on ebay via this group. I have only done
that once or twice, when I had a pretty rare item and wanted the
maximum exposure. Some folks keep away from ebay and wouldn't ever know
the item(s) were available if not for FA ads. I usually try to offer
thing up here FS before heading to the ebay site.
rgds,
Mark S.

Old May 4th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Phil Nelson

Sure, I'm exaggerating some. You know what I mean, though. It's depressing
if you have been away for a while, then dial in and see a screen full of FA
SPAM. It's hard to believe there's anyone reading this newsgroup who's too
ignorant to go to eBay and search for whatever they're interested in, or
just browse.

I certainly don't mind the occasional FS post, especially from a regular, or
a WTB, WTT, etc. That's all in the spirit of groups like this. (Come to
mention it, I'm still looking for a working S-meter for a Hallicrafters
SX-28, hint hint.)

Like you, I have found this group a great source of information over the
years. I still wish the signal-to-noise ratio could get back to where it
once was.

Anyway, that's life in an unmoderated newsgroup, as YT noted. I guess I
should be grateful there's not more SPAM here for junk jewelry, fat-burning
potions, and erectile dysfunction pills.

Regards,

Phil "no more whining, at least for today" Nelson

Old May 6th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
al goss

a LOT of us can live without eBAY
erg

"gkb" wrote in message