Old June 16th 16, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Thursday 16 June 2016

RadioInsight

Podcast One Names Jim Berk As CEO

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...m-berk-as-ceo/

Former Participant Media CEO Jim Berk has been named as the new CEO of
Podcast One replacing company founder Norm Pattiz.

Pattiz, who previously founded syndicator Westwood One, will remain with
the company as Executive Chairman. Berk spent eight years running the
socially relevant film studio prior to his exit in April 2015. He also
previously served as CEO for Hard Rock Cafe.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Berk had previously met with Podcast
One while at Participant about investing in or buying the company. Podcast
One instead sold a 30% share in the company to Hubbard Broadcasting.

Very telling about the burgeoning podcast industry is what Berk said about
why he took this position as opposed to other options he had.
I don’t care what the market is today, what drove my decision about this
company is where this market is going.

Beasley Launches Fort Myers News/Talker

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...rs-newstalker/

Beasley Media flipped Spanish Sports ESPN Deportes 770 WJBX North Fort
Myers FL to News/Talk WJBX News Talk today.

Positioned as News, Talk More, WJBX is also being carried on 101.5 W268BH
Bonita Springs and 104.3 W282BY Fort Myers. W268BH had been part of the
Modern AC quadcast The Link, while W282BY had been rebroadcasting the ESPN
Deportes programing.

The lineup on WJBX includes This Morning America’s First News with Gordon
Deal from 6-9am, Fox News Radios Brian Kilmeade Friends from 9am-12pm and
John Gibson from 12-2pm, Dave Ramsey from 2-5pm, Tom Sullivan 5-8pm, Alan
Colmes 8-11pm, and Biz Talk Radio in overnights.

Today, Beasley Media Group’s South West Florida Market, covering Fort
Myers, Naples and Marco Island launched WJBX News Talk and More, a new
station on 104.3 FM, 101.5 FM and 770 AM, and available online at
www.WJBXNEWSTALK.com

“We’re ready to deliver thought-provoking topics that inform, educate and
inspire our audience,” noted SWFL Market Manager Brad Beasley “Our
listeners will hear from a top selection of influential national voices.
We’re excited to add WJBX to our incredible line-up of stations here in
Southwest Florida!”

“Our WJBX line-up includes news, financial advice, hot topics, politics,
and pop culture,” added Operations Manager Adam Star. “This is will be
Southwest Florida’s new home for News Talk and More!”

Listeners will start each weekday at 6 am, with “This Morning, America’s
First News” with Gordon Deal, followed by Kilmeade Friends, John Gibson,
Dave Ramsey, Tom Sullivan, and Alan Colmes. Other features include CBS News
at the top of every hour and the “Daily Dose” with Dr. Oz.

Mia Amini Promoted To APD Of Y100 Savannah

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...y100-savannah/

Alpha Media CHR Y100 100.1 WXYY Rincon/Savannah GA has promoted MD/midday
host Mia Amini to Assistant Program Director.

Alpha Media Savannah-Hilton Head announced today WXYY/Y100 Midday Host Mia
Amini has been promoted to Assistant Program Director of WXYY/Y100
effective immediately.

A native of Atlanta, Mia Amini has held various programming and on air
roles over the past decade at KKCT/Bismarck, KYYY/Bismarck, WJFX/Fort Wayne
and KLTA/Fargo. Since June 2014, Mia has served as the Music Director and
hosted middays on WXYY/Y100. She has a huge passion for radio and loves
spending time helping out in the community!

VP/Market Manager Gigi South was quoted: “Mia makes a positive impact on
everyone she meets. Her enthusiasm and commitment to the local community
is contagious! Go Mia!!”

Operations Manager Rob Walker remarked: “Mia’s energy and commitment to
Y100 is unmatched. I’m thrilled to have her on our team.”

Mia Amini stated, “Thank you Rob Walker and Gigi South for this
opportunity. I’d also like to thank Phil Becker who helped me get my first
fulltime radio job and for always believing in me”

Sean Ross: Avoiding A Doldrums: Why Country Needs "Now"

http://www.mxcreativeradio.com/774/a...try-needs-now/

Mount Wilson Divests Two Monterey Signals To USC

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ignals-to-usc/

Mount Wilson FM Broadcasters is transferring two of its Monterey CA area
signals to Classical competitor University of Southern California.

USC operates a six station Classical network on the California Coast based
at 91.5 KUSC Los Angeles and 89.9 KDFC/90.3 KOSC targeting the San
Francisco and Santa Rosa markets. It will pay Mount Wilson $475,000 for
Classic Hits Q103.9 KBOQ Seaside/Monterey, while Mount Wilson will donate
Classical K-Mozart 95.9 KMZT-FM Big Sur. Mount Wilson will retain the KBOQ
and KMZT-FM call letters and associated intellectual property of both
stations, which will both convert to non-commercial status.

Mount Wilson FM Broadcasters will retain its other two AMs, two FMs and two
translators it owns in the Monterey market as well as its AM/FM combo in
Los Angeles.

Westwood One To Launch Soft AC Network

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ft-ac-network/

Cumulus Medias Westwood One will launch a 24/7 Soft AC network on Monday,
July 11.

Lite AC will be programmed by Cheri Marquart, the VP/Programming for
Contemporary Formats, and Director of Operations Jonathan Steele. It will
offer an AC format in between the companys Adult Standards and Mainstream
AC networks with core artists including Adele, Billy Joel, Celine Dion,
Chicago, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Hall Oates, Michael Bublé and Whitney
Houston.

Westwood One announced today that it will launch a traditional Lite AC
24-hour format, fully hosted and featuring a wide variety of music from the
70’s through today. The new satellite-delivered format will launch on
Monday, July 11.

Lite AC will feature core artists like Billy Joel, Celine Dion, Chicago,
Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Hall Oates, and will also include artists
like Adele, Michael Bublé and Whitney Houston. The format will offer
personalities with warm, family-friendly presentations, bringing back a
true “at work” listening experience. Lite AC will be offered on Westwood
One’s Total platform, with a structured-break, exact-timed hour, but with
numerous opportunities for station and market identification.

Lite AC joins other current-based contemporary formats Hits Now and Hot AC
on the Westwood One lineup. The new format will be programmed by Cheri
Marquart, VP/Programming, Contemporary Formats, and Jonathan Steele,
Director of Operations.

“Our affiliates have asked for an alternative to our Adult Contemporary
format, which, in keeping with the evolution of AC, is a little more upbeat
now. Lite AC will fit a nice slot between our Adult Standards, on the gold
side, and our current-based AC and Hot AC formats,” commented Kirk
Stirland, President of Programming at Westwood One.

Bloomberg Businessweek: Delilah, The Queen of FM Fights for Her Throne

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-delilah/

Dan Mason Joins iHeartMedia As Senior Advisor For Broadcast Relations

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...enior-advisor/

Former CBS Radio President/CEO Dan Mason is joining iHeartMedia as Senior
Advisor for Broadcast Relations.

Mason will advise iHeart Chairman/CEO Bob Pittman and COO/CFO Rich Bressler
on issues important to the company and radio industry as a whole. He will
work with other broadcast groups, vendors, government agencies and industry
associations such as the NAB on the issues facing the industry.

Mason had retired from CBS Radio in April 2015 after serving two terms as
the groups President.

iHeartMedia announced today that highly respected radio industry executive
and former President and CEO of CBS Radio Dan Mason will join the company
as its Senior Advisor for Broadcast Relations, reporting to iHeartMedia,
Inc.’s CEO and Chairman Bob Pittman and iHeartMedia, Inc.’s President, COO
and CFO Rich Bressler.

Mason’s appointment highlights iHeartMedia’s position as a 21st century
media and entertainment company whose leadership is built on the
unparalleled strength of broadcast radio. In this new role, Mason will
advise Pittman and Bressler on current and developing issues important to
iHeartMedia and the broadcast radio industry; additionally, he will focus
most of his attention and time on important issues affecting the broadcast
industry, working with other broadcasters, vendors, government relations
and important industry associations, including the National Association of
Broadcasters (NAB).

“I’ve known and deeply respected Dan for decades,” said Pittman. “Given his
long and deep relationships with the broadcast industry, we feel he is
ideally suited to establishing deeper and more constant communications with
everyone associated with the radio industry on an ongoing and timely
basis. We look forward to Dan’s wise counsel on important broadcast
issues.”

“Ive known both Bob and Rich for many years and have admired the inroads
they have made in transforming iHeartMedia into the multi-dimensional
entertainment company it is today,” said Mason. “It will be great to join
the team, and I look forward to continuing my relationships with everyone
in the broadcast industry from this new platform.”

Mason brings a unique expertise and strength as a veteran radio programmer,
operator and leader to his new position. He retired from CBS Radio in April
2015 after spending over a combined 15 years with the company. Mason first
served as President from 1995 to 2002, and oversaw the successful mergers
of the original CBS, Group W, Infinity Radio and American Radio Systems
radio broadcasting groups. He next spent five years as a respected advisor
and consultant for CBS and other top domestic and international radio
industry companies before returning to CBS Radio as CEO and President in
2007. During Mason’s tenures at CBS Radio, he oversaw all aspects relating
to the company’s over 100 radio stations across dozens of markets and was
responsible for day-to-day operations. Under his leadership, CBS Radio
launched a variety of new formats at dozens of stations nationwide,
acquired stations in several top 10 markets and expanded its digital
presence, including launching online streaming platforms and developing
mobile applications.

Mason serves as Chairman of The Broadcasters Foundation of America; he
previously served on the board of directors of the National Association of
Broadcasters. In 2012, the National Association of Broadcasters presented
him with their National Radio Award for outstanding leadership within the
radio industry. Mason is a 2015 inductee into the National Radio Hall of
Fame at the Museum of Broadcast and Communications in Chicago. He is a
graduate of Eastern Kentucky University.

FCC Denies Syracuse Station Swap; Fines Foxfur For Ownership Limit
Violations

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...it-violations/

The FCC has denied WOLF Radio/Foxfur Communications and Family Life Radios
swap of three Syracuse NY area stations and one translator and is fining
Foxfur $20,000 for violating the multiple ownership rule.

On March 28, Family Life agreed to swap its just acquired 92.1 WSEN-FM
Baldwinsville NY (now WOLF-FM) to Foxfur for 96.7 WWLF Oswego (now
WCIO-FM), 105.1 WOLF-FM DeRuyter (now WCIS-FM), and 98.3 W252AC Fairmount.
Both companies began immediate Time Brokerage Agreements with their new
properties that moved Country 105.1 The Wolf from WOLF-FM/WWLF to 92.1,
while Family Lifes Christian programming debuted on 96.7 and 105.1.

The FCC states that the move gave Foxfur illegal control of eight licenses
in the Syracuse market (where ownership limits are seven stations due to
amount of signals in the market). Between the WOLF Radio, Foxfur
Communications, Cram Communications and Renard Communications names, Craig
Fox currently owns 1300 WOSW Fulton, 1490 WOLF Syracuse, 1540 WSIV East
Syracuse, 100.3 WMVN-FM Sylvan Beach, 103.9 WSEN-FM Mexico, the to-be-sold
96.7 WCIO-FM and 105.1 WCIS-FM and operating 92.1 WOLF-FM under the TBA.
Fox requested a waiver request while the FCC acted on the assignment
application, but the agency claims it did not wait to give the FCC time to
grant the waiver.

The FCC also denied the swap of the assets as being defective, but without
prejudice meaning they could be refiled once Fox resolves the TBA issue. As
of 5:30pm today, the Country 92.1 The Wolf programming continues on 92.1,
while Family Life is on 96.7 and 105.1.