Old October 15th 16, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Friday 14 October 2016

RadioInsight

Bloomberg: IHeartMedia, Cumulus Creditors Broadcasting Distress Signals

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...stress-signals

Eau Claire Leader-Telegram: John Murphy cites hurricane of hate from
callers for walking off WAYY radio show

http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/F...e-of-hate.html

Immaculate Heart & Relevant Radio To Merge

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...adio-to-merge/

The two largest Catholic radio operators in the country are merging.

Loomis CA based Immaculate Heart Radio and Green Bay WI based Relevant
Radio will combine to become Immaculate Heart Media d/b/a Relevant Radio.
Immaculate Heart brings 19 stations across six western states including 930
KHJ Los Angeles and 1260 KSFB San Francisco. Relevant also has 19 stations
scattered across ten states including 1430 WNSW New York, 950 WNTB Chicago,
640 WWJZ Philadelphia, and 1330 WLOL Minneapolis. Both groups create
programming that is heard on additional Catholic stations nationwide to
bring their reach to over 108 stations in 36 states.

The two groups have raised $22 million out of an intended $30 million over
three years to be put towards increasing their programming, outreach, and
new media efforts.

Relevant Radio® and Immaculate Heart Radio have announced their intention
to merge. The united corporation will be Immaculate Heart Media d/b/a
Relevant Radio® and will broadcast inspirational radio programs over 108 AM
and FM radio stations and translators in 36 states reaching 133 Million
souls. The new network will operate 24/7 in 15 of the top 50 markets*,
including the four largest markets: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San
Francisco. Additionally, all programs will be live-streamed and available
on podcast through multiple internet platforms including websites, mobile
apps, and social media portals.

The merger of Immaculate Heart Radio and Relevant Radio will bring
blessings to Catholics here in Los Angeles and across the country. I have
known the leaders in both companies for many years and I know them to be
people of faith with a strong commitment to the new evangelization. In a
way, this merger feels like a historic moment in Catholic communications in
this country. For the first time, there will be a single Catholic voice in
our nations largest media markets. So I welcome this news and I look
forward to our continued partnership in proclaiming the Good News of Jesus
Christ to every person, so that every heart will know Gods love and mercy
and find the path to true happiness, said Most Reverend José H. Gomez,
Archbishop of Los Angeles.

There is no more important or urgent task than to reach souls for Christ.
This proposal is for the two largest owned and operated Catholic radio
networks to unite under the patronage of the Immaculate Heart of Mary to
bring more hearts home to the merciful embrace of the Father.

Uniting Relevant Radio and Immaculate Heart Radio, with a combined 36 years
of broadcast experience, achieves long term financial stability and
solidifies the presence of Catholic radio in all of their respective
markets, in the quest to provide a compelling voice for the Catholic Church
over mass media platforms. The Episcopal Advisors of Immaculate Heart
Radio, Bishop Jaime Soto, of the Diocese of Sacramento, CA, and Bishop
Thomas Olmsted of the Diocese of Phoenix, AZ, enthusiastically support the
unification of Immaculate Heart Radio and Relevant Radio.

Most Reverend David L. Ricken, Bishop of Green Bay said, As a member of the
Board of Relevant Radio and as the Bishop Of Green Bay, I am deeply
grateful for the merger between the wonderful Immaculate Heart Radio and
Relevant Radio, that will increase the capacity to proclaim the Good News
of the Gospel from a very dynamic Catholic platform that intersects with so
many more peoples lives. The treasury of the Catholic way of living our
relationship with Jesus Christ and serving the mission of the Gospel will
be enriched by this joining and reach so many more people.

The officers of the merged organization will include Rev. Francis J.
Hoffman, Executive Director of Relevant Radio, as Executive Director and
Doug Sherman, President of Immaculate Heart Radio, as President. The Boards
of Immaculate Heart Radio and Relevant Radio will be united and will
include The Most Rev. Bernard J. Hebda, Archbishop of Saint Paul and
Minneapolis, and The Most Rev. David L. Ricken, Bishop of Green Bay. Tom
Vorpahl, Relevant Radio Board Chairman, will serve as Chairman of the Board
of Directors. The Relevant Radio Guiding Principles are very similar to
Immaculate Heart Radios Mission Statement faithful to the magisterium;
united to the bishops; under the protection of Our Lady – and it will
inspire all activities of the network.

We give thanks to God, Our Lady and St. Joseph for blessing our
conversations and helping us to work together for the good of many souls.
We are answering Saint John Paul IIs call to the new evangelization. We
are also confident that Our Ladys intercession, under the title of her
Immaculate Heart and Our Lady of Guadalupe, will keep us true to the
mission, said Rev. Hoffman. As in any marriage, we will gain so much, and
in the end it is our fervent hope that many more souls are helped to deepen
their relationship with Jesus Christ. We are very enthused with this union
and so much of the credit goes to our associates, volunteers and
benefactors. They are unbelievably hard-working, talented, and committed
to the mission.

Mr. Sherman stated, The leaders of our organizations have discussed the
value and possibility of collaboration over the years and have come to the
realization that this union makes great business sense for both
organizations and our respective missions. It provides financial
sustainability for our organizations and provides the resources necessary
to continue to invest in people and technologies that will keep us on the
leading edge in providing premium Catholic content to our audiences. We
will be bringing you the very best in Catholic programming including
Patrick Madrid, The Drew Mariani Show™, and Bishop Barrons Word on Fire®.
This tremendous opportunity comes on the eve of Immaculate Heart Radios
20th anniversary of broadcasting on its first station in 1997. The uniting
solidifies our hopes and dreams for ensuring our continued presence and
success into the future, and it will cause many more stories of lives being
changed, marriages strengthened or saved, and people coming closer to
Christ and His Church. The union will also enable us to better assist
independent Catholic radio stations as needed. In addition to being
president of Immaculate Heart Radio, Sherman is also the chairman of the
Catholic Radio Association.

As a result of the union, over $30 Million will be raised over the next
three years, to substantially strengthen the financial condition of the
network and free up resources to be invested in programming, Mission
advancement and emerging media opportunities. Already, generous
benefactors have pledged $22 Million towards these efforts, including a
lead gift from Kay and Mike Birck of Hinsdale, IL. We are more than
two-thirds of the way there and efforts are on-going to complete the
campaign. We will close as soon as possible in 2017 after FCC approval,
said Rev. Hoffman.

Manhattan Broadcasting To Acquire KBLS Post Alpha Spin-Off

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...lpha-spin-off/

One day after announcing the acquisition of five stations in the
Salina-Manhattan KS market from Alpha Media, Rocking M Media has announced
it will divest AC Sunny 102.5 KBLS North Fort Riley KS to Manhattan
Broadcasting Company.

No terms were announced as the deal gives MBC a fifth station on the
Manhattan side of the market. Manhattan Broadcasting owns CHR Z96.3 KACZ
Riley, Rock 101.5 K-Rock KMKF Manhattan, Country B104.7 KXBZ Manhattan, and
News/Talk 1350 KMAN/93.3 FM K227CX Manhattan/93.7 K229CW Wamego KS.

Manhattan Broadcasting Company and Rocking M Media announced Friday their
formal filing with the Federal Communications Commission to transfer
ownership of KBLS-FM 102.5 from Rocking M Media to Manhattan Broadcasting
Company.

Rocking M had previously announced the agreement to acquire KBLS-FM from
Alpha Media as part of a five station agreement on Wednesday October 12th.

Rocking M Media President, Christopher Miller commented on the
announcement, “I’m excited as part of our acquisition process to help bring
ownership of KBLS-FM to a great locally focused group in Manhattan
Broadcasting Company. Like Rocking M Media, Manhattan Broadcasting is a
company committed to Kansas radio excellence and ownership.”

Manhattan Broadcasting VP and General Manager, Corey Reeves added, “What a
fantastic opportunity to bring the KBLS-FM signal, once owned by the Vanier
family, back home to Manhattan. Adding KBLS to the Manhattan Broadcasting
family of stations will allow us to even better serve and promote the local
communities and businesses in Manhattan, Junction City, and the surrounding
area by adding a heritage signal with an established audience that further
broadens the MBC coverage area.”

Station Sales Week Of 10/14

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-week-of-1014/

Station Sales

Fun Media Group of Tennessee acquires Classic Hits Fun Radio 1090 WTNK and
93.5 W228CB Hartsville TN from GL Aircasters for $180,000. Fun began
operating WTNK via Time Brokerage Agreement on September 15.

Sheridan Broadcastings MCL/MCM Alabama sells Urban Oldies 900 Gold WATV
Birmingham AL to Courtney French Broadcasting for $300,000.

Montana Radio Company sells Silent 100.1 KZMO Roundup MT to Bill Edwards
for $10,000. Edwards will withdraw the stations CP to relocate to 99.9 in
Stanford MT and instead has applied to move it to 99.9 in Klein from the
tower of 88.1 KLMB Roundup.

Cajun Prairie Broadcasting acquires News/Talk 1490 KEUN and Cajun/Country
105.5 KEUN-FM Eunice LA from Tri-Parish Broadcasting for $50,000. Cajun
Prairie began operating the stations via Time Brokerage Agreement on
October 1.

Emmis Communications sells its Terre Haute IN cluster to DLC Media and
Midwest Communications for $5.2 million in a pair of deals. A third deal
will send Midwests 95.9 WDKE Seelyville IN to DLC Media for a yet-to-be
announced price.

Alpha Media will sell five of its Salina KS market stations to Rocking M
Radio for an undisclosed amount.

Forever South Communications acquires WENK of Union Citys five stations in
Northwest Tennessee for $500,000.
Translator Sales
Station State Seller Buyer Price To Rebroadcast Station State
Seller Buyer Price To Rebroadcast 92.9 W225AQ Lock Haven PA Family
Life Ministries Hubbard Radio $72,500 820 WWFD Frederick MD 92.5 W223BZ
Tuscaloosa AL Educational Media Foundation TTI Equipment Used By 99.1
WLXQ
(TTI also receives $50,000) 91.5 WUAL-HD2 Tuscaloosa 95.3 W237DX East
Liverpool OH Kent State University Saga Communications $35,000 1470
WNYY Ithaca NY 98.9 K255CP Flippen AR Radio 74 Internationale Legacy
Media -Memphis $32,500 990 KWAM Memphis TN 105.5 K288GY Holladay UT
Wasatch Public Media Radio Rancho $50,000 105.1 KUDD-HD2 American Fork
97.7 K249EN El Reno OK North Texas Radio Group La Tremenda Radio Mexico
$49,597 1460 KZUE El Reno 92.9 W225BZ Ashland OH Kent State University
Cumulus Media $40,000 1260 WRIE Erie PA 102.5 W273DA Charlotte NC
Educational Media Foundation Beasley Media $150,000 103.7 WSOC-FM
Charlotte /* Here you can add custom CSS for the current table */ /* Lean
more about CSS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets */ /*
To prevent the use of styles to other tables use "#supsystic-table-119" as
a base selector for example: #supsystic-table-119 { ... }
#supsystic-table-119 tbody { ... } #supsystic-table-119 tbody tr { ... } */

The Drum: Money talks: how are podcastings biggest players monetising
aurals allure?

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/10/...aural-s-allure

Alpha Sells Five In Kansas

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ive-in-kansas/

Alpha Media has announced it has agreed to sell five of its stations in
Salina KS to Rocking M Media for an undisclosed amount.

Rocking M will acquire Country Y93.7 KYEZ Salina, AC Sunny 102.5 KBLS North
Fort Riley, Classic Hits FM 104.9 KSAL-FM Salina, News/Talk 1150 KSAL
Salina, and Standards 1560 KABI Abilene. A sixth Salina market station,
Oldies 98.5 KSAJ-FM Abilene holds a Construction Permit to relocate to the
Topeka market and will be retained by Alpha Media.

Rocking M already owns three stations in the Salina market: CHR 92.7 The
New Zoo KZUH Minneapolis, Rock 95.5 The Rock KVOB Lindsborg, and Country
Real Country 101.7 KDJM Lindsborg. As that will give Rocking M eight
stations in the Salina-Manhattan market, one will likely need to be
divested. 102.5 KBLS is missing from Rocking Ms updated station list.

Alpha Media LLC and Rocking M Media, LLC announced Thursday their formal
filing with the Federal Communications Commission to transfer five of Alpha
Media’s radio stations in Salina, Abilene and Manhattan Kansas to Rocking M
Media.

The radio stations to be transferred are; KSAL-AM 1150; KSAL-FM 104.9;
KABI-AM 1560; KYEZ-FM 93.7 and KBLS-FM 102.5.

Alpha Media CEO/President, Bob Proffitt commented on the announcement,
“We’re happy for our employees in Salina to be joining such a great
company. Rocking M Media is a strong force in Kansas radio and media.”

Rocking M Media President, Christopher Miller added, “RMM is so very
excited to add the Alpha Media staff and stations to our family. They will
be a great addition and will be instrumental in helping RMM promote the
businesses and communities in and around our Salina and Abilene markets.”