Old November 22nd 16, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Tuesday 22 November 2016

RadioInsight

November 2016 (10/6-11/2) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 2

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...e=75862 030d3

Eddie Volkman Joins WFXF For Mornings

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-for-mornings/

Longtime Chicago morning host Eddie Volkman is joining Matrix Broadcasting
Classic Rock 103.9 The Fox WFXF Dundee IL in the northwest suburbs of
Chicago for mornings.

Volkman co-hosted mornings at CBS CHR B96 WBBM-FM from 1986-1994 and
1997-2008. All but the first two years were with Joe JoBo Bohannon. Eddie
and JoBo would return in 2011 to host mornings at CBS Classic Hits 104.3
K-Hits WJMK for a year and almost joined Cumulus 94.7 WLS-FM in 2014 until
Bohannon walked away from the deal. Volkman spent a few months this year
hosting afternoons at 1530 WCKG Elmhurst IL.

At WFXF Volkman will fill the spot most recently held by Brian Sherman.
Sherman exited to reteam with former partner Steve Tingle at Hubbard
Classic Rock 97.1 The Drive WDRV in October.

iHeartMedia Names Derrick 'DC' Cole As SVP/Programming Wilimington DE

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ilimington-de/

Derrick DC Cole has been promoted to Senior Vice President/Programming for
iHeartMedias Wilmington and Dover DE stations.

Cole will retain his duties as Program Director of CHR FM 97 96.9 WLAN-FM
and Spanish CHR Rumba 1390 WLAN Lancaster PA in addition to adding
oversight of Variety Hits 92.9 Tom-FM WRDX Smyrna, Country 94.7 WDSD Dover,
Sports Fox Sports 1290 WWTX Wilmington, News/Talk Newsradio 1410 WDOV
Dover, and News/Talk Newsradio 1450 WILM Wilmington.

Cole has programmed WLAN-FM since February 2012 and has also programmed
98.3 Kiss-FM WKSI Winchester VA during his career. Cole is also heard
weekends on Country 92.5 WWYZ Hartford CT and CHR B104 WAEB-FM Allentown PA.

iHeartMedia announced today that Derrick “DC” Cole has been named Senior
Vice President of Programming for Wilmington, DE, effective December 1.
iHeartMedia Wilmington has a strong cross-platform presence and includes a
number of iconic brands and franchises – both broadcast and digital –
including 94.7 WDSD, 92.9 TOM-FM, Newsradio 1450 WILM, Newsradio 1410 WDOV
and Fox Sports 1290 – and broadcasts several popular personalities
including Sky and Christa, Mike Opelka and Glenn and Bob.

iHeartMedia has massive consumer reach and influence across multiple
platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company.
Cole will work with radio station personalities and program directors to
oversee on-air content and music programming for all five stations in the
Wilmington region. He will continue to serve as Program Director for FM97
WLAN and Rumba 1390 in Lancaster, PA.

“Derrick’s one of our best up-and-coming programmers,” said Jeff Hurley,
Senior Vice President of Programming for iHeartMedia’s Allentown-Harrisburg
region. “We’ve seen record-setting numbers since he began programming FM97
WLAN four years ago. We’re excited for this opportunity to expand his role
within our region.”

“Im excited for this next step in my career,” said Cole. “Thank you to
iHeartMedia for this amazing opportunity, and to everyone in the region who
have helped me grow. Im happy to continue collaborating with such great
people and I’m ready to jump in!”

Cole is a radio veteran who has programmed multiple formats, including CHR,
Hot AC, Country and News Talk, and has worked as an on-air personality at
stations in Long Island, Hartford and Poughkeepsie, as well as at Premiere
Networks. He spent two years at iHeartMedia’s WKSI-FM in Winchester, VA
before becoming Program Director for FM97 WLAN and Rumba 1390 in Lancaster,
PA and V97 in Williamsport, PA.

iHeartMedia has the number one reach of any media outlet in the Wilmington
region. Its radio brands and content are available across multiple
platforms, including its broadcast stations; online via its branded digital
sites; mobile; and social, with nationwide listening through iHeartRadio,
the all-in-one streaming music and live radio service – with its more than
a billion downloads and 90 million registered users.

Oldies 98 Debuts On Long Island

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...n-long-island/

JVC Media officially launched Oldies Oldies 98 98.1 W251BY Patchouge
NY/105.3 WPTY-HD2 Calverton-Roanoke today after testing for a few weeks.

The station is operating commercial-free with a mix of music from the 60s
through the 80s. Charlie Lombardo JVC Media SVP/Programming and midday host
at sister Country My Country 96.1 WJVC as Jay Letterman is overseeing the
programming on the new station. The new format fills the Oldies gap in
Central Long Island created by the move of Connoisseur Medias 103.1 WBZO
Bay Shore to Rock leaning Classic Hits 103.1 Max-FM in May 2015.

JVC Broadcasting, one of the leading independent and locally owned radio
broadcasters in the country announces the launch of Long Island’s brand new
radio station, Oldies 98.1 FM. The new Oldies 98 signed on Monday November
21st and is playing the best hits of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and all
commercial free thanks to a sponsorship from Slomins Home Heating and
Security company.

“Oldies 98 is a complete JVC team effort, when I tell you that we had help
putting this station together from our staff in Orlando, Gainesville, Ocala
and West Palm Beach it is an understatement, the entire JVC Broadcasting
team put this radio station together and made it the way radio used to be,
FUN. Lots of jingles, lots of voices and all the hits all the time. The
station has been researched and designed exclusively for Suffolk County”,
says Charlie Lombardo, the mad scientist behind this extraordinary mix of
music. “We spent weeks talking to our listeners, partners and community
leaders and found there is no need for another ‘cookie-cutter’ radio
station. This area has a rich musical heritage that is unserved and Oldies
98 fills that void.”

JVC Long Island VP and COO Vic Latino adds, “This is great music that just
makes you feel good. The listeners of Long Island, say they want MORE
variety and a different sounding station.” Latino continues, “We will tap
into the deep musical heritage here by highlighting those big artists and
hits that just don’t get played anymore.”

JVC CEO and President John Caracciolo says, “JVC Broadcasting is and always
will be dedicated to giving all of our clients, both advertisers and
listeners, the best product possible. The new Oldies 98 will be a radio
station specifically for Suffolk County Long Island. With the mix of music
and fun that the entire team created, and this was a huge JVC team effort,
this station is going to be on every preset. Both Vic and I are very proud
of what the staff created. This is fun radio!”

WMAL Goes Local In Afternoons With Larry O'Connor

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...larry-oconnor/

Cumulus Conservative Talk 630 WMAL Washington DC/105.9 WMAL-FM Woodbridge
VA is moving morning co-host Larry OConnor to afternoons to host a daily
show from 3-6pm starting Monday, January 2.

OConnor has co-hosted Mornings On The Mall with Brian Wilson since 2012 and
added a one-hour afternoon show from 5-6pm in 2014. He will replace the
syndicated Michael Savage in afternoons. OConnor will continue to serve as
Editor-At-Large for conservative blog HotAir.com.

WMAL is seeking a new co-host to join Brian Wilson in mornings.

Cumulus Media announces that it has named popular Washington, D.C. on-air
personality Larry O’Connor as Host of a new three-hour weekday afternoon
show on WMAL-AM/FM.*“The Larry O’Connor Show” will air weekdays from 3-6PM
EST beginning January 2, 2017.*O’Connor segues from his current co-hosting
duties on WMAL’s “Mornings On The Mall” with Brian Wilson, a position
O’Connor has held since 2012. O’Connor has additionally hosted a 5PM EST
hour on WMAL-AM/FM since 2014. He also serves as Editor-At-Large for
HotAir.com and previously worked with IJ Review, with whom he participated
in the New Hampshire Republican Primary debates airing on ABC News.

***

Jake McCann, Vice President/Market Manager for Cumulus Media-Washington,
D.C. said: “Larry is a super talent in the industry. He’s funny and thought
provoking, and his one-hour afternoon show is one of the top-ranked hours
in Washington, D.C.*It’s a natural progression to expand his afternoon
program.”

Bill Hess, WMAL Program Director and Vice President, News/Talk for Cumulus
Media said: “Larry’s success, both on our morning and 5pm shows, has
positioned him perfectly to re-open the local afternoon daypart on WMAL.
He’s smart, entertaining, and an engaging storyteller who will anchor a
program built on the stories of the day, with expanded service elements for
our busy D.C. commuters.”

*

O’Connor said:* “During this time of unprecedented change and interest in
Washington D.C., its an exciting and humbling opportunity to help
facilitate an entertaining and provocative conversation on a station as
important and influential as WMAL. During the four years Ive been here in
the Nations Capital, Ive been so impressed with this communitys engagement
in not only our government, but with issues that hit our kitchen tables
every day – like pop culture, faith, and parenting.”

O’Connor continued: “Its been an honor to engage in discussions on these
topics every morning and Im excited to carry on those conversations while
people head home from work and school every day. Although I will miss my
talented and generous co-host Brian Wilson, I will admit that Im looking
forward to getting a few hours of extra sleep.”*

A search for Brian Wilson’s new co-host for WMAL’s “Mornings On The Mall”
is underway. Interested candidates should send resumes to Bill Hess at:
.

Wally Brine To Retire From WROR's Loren & Wally

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...s-loren-wally/

One of the longest running morning duo in Boston radio history is coming to
an end.

Wally Brine has announced his final show on Beasley Media Classic Hits
105.7 WROR-FM Framingham will be on Friday, December 16. Brine has teamed
with Loren Owens since 1982 through multiple formats on 105.7 (AC WVBF,
Country WCLB/WKLB, and since 1996 Classic Hits WROR). Prior to coming to
Boston the year prior, Brine spent a decade working at multiple stations in
Portland ME. He is the son of Providence market legend Salty Brine.

Loren Owens and co-hosts Lauren Beckham Falcone and Hank Morse will
continue in mornings following Brines retirement.

Beasley Media Group, Inc, as subsidiary of Beasley Broadcast Group, Inc.
has announced the retirement of Wally Brine.

Oh Boy… This was such a tough decision. We call it a “Show,” but it’s so
much more than that. The studio is filled with my friends, my family. Loren
Owens and I have been together for 35 years, longer than most marriages.
He’s been my friend, my teacher, my advisor, my confidant and my hero. I
have been so blessed to have been teamed up with Loren. I will be forever
grateful. I just wish there were two of me. One could stay, and the other
could sleep in, travel with my wife and stay up late! – Wally

When Wally told me that he had decided to retire, I was flooded with mixed
emotions from sadness to happiness! Imagine being able to spend your
workday, every day, laughing and having fun with your best friend!

Those opportunities only come around every oh, I dont know perhaps 35
years. Wally, the ultimate professional, one of a kind, the best! 35 years
together and not one argument! Im happy for Wally because this is what he
wants for the next chapter of his life! Love the guy! Always will! -Loren

After 35 years with The Loren Wally Morning Show, Wally Brine has decided
to turn off his microphone and his last day on 105.7 WROR will be Friday,
December 16th.

Wally Brine was born into the radio business, as the only child of WPRO’s
Salty Brine and his wife Mickey Brine, living in an apartment in the radio
transmitter building. Wally got his first part-time radio job in 1968 at
WPRO-FM. He attended St. Francis College in Maine, where he worked at WGAN,
WLOB and WJBQ-FM in Portland.

In 1981, Wally was hired by WVBF in Boston to host afternoons, but was soon
teamed up with Loren Owens. The Loren Wally Morning Show was born and has
enjoyed a 35 year run in Boston on WVBF, WCLB and now on 105.7 WROR Bostons
Greatest Hits! Wally has two sons, Salty and Chucky, and is married to Jodi
Winchester.

Stay tuned to 105.7 WROR for info on upcoming events to say goodbye and
visit wror.com/wally to share your well wishes with Wally.

iMix Laramie Moves To Make Way For Fort Collins Move-In

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...llins-move-in/

Radio Wyoming CHR iMix 96.7 KIMX Laramie WY has moved to new move-in 104.5
KYAP Centennial as iMix 104.5.

The move of the KIMX programming comes as 96.7 completes its move to 96.9
Nunn CO covering the Fort Collins market. The station is currently testing
with a simulcast of sister Oldies The Big 870 Pierce CO. Applications to
swap the call letters of KIMX and KYAP are pending.

Radio One Hires Two New PDs In Indianapolis; Don Juan Returns To Cincinnati

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...to-cincinnati/

Radio One has made personnel moves in Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Kelly Mac joins the company as PD/Afternoon Host of Urban AC 106.7 WTLC-FM
Greenwood/Indianapolis and PD of Gospel 1310 The Light WTLC Indianapolis.
Mac most recently served as APD/Afternoon Host for Summit Medias 107.3 Jamz
WJMZ-FM Anderson/Greenville SC and has also served as APD for WGCI Chicago
and WDAS-FM/WUSL Philadelphia during her careet.

DJ J1 has been promoted to PD/Midday Hots of Urban Hot 96.3 WHHH
Indianapolis and PD of Classic Hip-Hop Boom 102.9 W275BD Greenfield. J1
most recently served as APD/Mixer at Radio Ones Hot 107.9 WHTA Atlanta.
Both Kelly Mac and DJ J1 take the programming positions made open by
Operations Manager Karen Vaughns move to Radio One Philadelphia last month.

In Cincinnati, Don Juan Fasho returns to Urban 101.1 The Wiz WIZF Erlanger
KY as Music Director/Afternoon Host taking the position filled until last
week by DJ Dimepiece whose contract expired and was not renewed. Fasho
worked at WIZF from 2001 until March of this year when he moved to
Montgomery AL to host nights at iHeartMedias Hot 105.7 WZHT.

Radio One Cincinnati announced the return of WIZF-FM alum Don Juan to the
company as Music Director and Afternoon Drive Host for 101.1 FM The
Wiz—“Cincinnati’s #1 for Hip Hop and RB.”

Don Juan, an Ohio native, has 15 years of history with Radio One
Cincinnati. He is well known within the community in the club scene and his
charity work. His charity work includes hosting the AIDS Awareness Walk and
The Dream Is Real Scholarship Presentation. Don Juan got his start in radio
in Cincinnati, but most recently his career had him in Montgomery, Alabama
as night host.

Regarding the return home, Don Juan said, “I couldn’t be happier to be
back in Cincinnati. Anyone who knows me knows that this is the city I
love—when I’m on air, I’m not talking to ‘listeners’, I’m talking to my
friends and family.”

Station Operations Manager, Kenard “K2” Karter, added, “Don Juan returning
to Cincy isn’t just about bringing back a phenomenal talent. It’s about
working with a guy whose passion spreads to everyone he meets. You’re not
just going to hear him when he’s on-air, you’re going to hear his influence
in everything we do.”

Starting Monday, December 5th, Don Juan can be heard weekday afternoons. He
will be on from 3pm-7pm on 101.1 The Wiz or streamed live at WIZNATION.com.

November 2016 (10/6-11/2) Nielsen Audio PPM Ratings Day 1

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...e=75862 030d3