Old February 4th 17, 01:23 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Friday 3 February 2017

RadioInsight

Entercom To Turn In KDND Sacramento License; Move CHR Format

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/10...ive-law-judge/

With the CBS Radio merger now its top priority, Entercom has decided to
turn in the license of CHR 107.9 The End KDND Sacramento rather than have
the hearing hold up its CBS deal.
Entercom released a brief statement saying.
Entercom has submitted a public filing today voluntarily turning in license
to operate KDND in Sacramento to facilitate the timely FCC approvals for
the planned combination with CBS Radio.
This will not mean the end of the End format. The IP of the station will
relocate to another one of Entercoms stations in the market. The most
likely destination would be low-rated Hot AC Star 106.5 KUDL. That would
also be a slap in the face to petitioner Ed Stolz who has long been
battling Entercom to have his 1996 sale of 106.5 for $25 million rescinded
after a case of sellers remorse.
Once turned into the FCC, the 107.9 license will be dark until the next FCC
auction when it will be put up for bid. When the FCC pulled the licenses of
Contemporary Medias five stations including 98.3 KFMZ Columbia MO and 107.5
WZZQ Terre Haute IN in 2001 following owner Michael Rices conviction on
child molestation charges, his legal challenges kept the stations out of
auction and off the air for a decade and a half. 98.3 only returned to the
air in November 2016, while 107.5 Terre Haute was reclassified as a
non-commercial allocation is still a Construction Permit held by Terre
Haute Seventh-Day Adventist Church. Entercom will not challenge the
revocation of the licenses but it will still be 3-5 years minimum before
anything returns to the 107.9 frequency.
No timetable as for when KDND will turn in its license or move its
programming has been announced yet.
Original Report 10/27/16: The January 2007 Hold Your Wee for a Wii contest
at Entercom CHR 107.9 The End KDND Sacramento that led to the death of
Jennifer Strange could lead to the loss of the stations license as the FCC
has scheduled a hearing proceeding before an Administrative Law Judge to
determine whether the stations license should be renewed.
On January 12, 2007 the stations Morning Rave morning show held the contest
where listeners had to drink as much water as long as possible without
urinating to win a Nintendo Wii video game system. Jennifer Strange had
finished in second place during the contest but after returning to work
that day died from water poisoning. Program Director Steve Weed (now SVP
Programming for iHeartMedia Central California), morning hosts Steve Maney
(now at WNKS Charlotte), Lukas Cox (now at KRBB Wichita), and Trish Sweet
(now Jayde Donovan at WPLJ New York) and six others were swiftly fired. In
2009 Stranges husband won $16.5 million compensation in a wrongful death
lawsuit against Entercom.
Now the consequences will be much higher. KDNDs license renewal filings in
2005 and 2013 will be heard by a judge to determine whether Entercom will
be able to continue operating the station after petitions to deny from
Media Action Center and Ed Stolz and an informal objection by Roger Smith.
The FCC states that Based on the totality of the evidence, there are
substantial and material questions of fact as to whether Entercom: (i)
designed and conducted a contest that was inherently dangerous; (ii)
increased the danger to the contestants by changing the announced Contest
terms; (iii) was aware of the potential dangers of the Contest and water
intoxication; (iv) failed to protect the contestants from the potential
dangers of the Contest; (v) failed to warn the contestants of the Contest’s
potential dangers; (vi) prioritized entertainment value over the welfare of
the contestants; and (vii) failed to conduct adequate training and exercise
appropriate supervision of Station KDND employees and the Contest to ensure
the safety of the contestants.
The renewal hearing will be held within nine months of todays order.
Negligently causing the death of a member of the Station’s listening
audience, as the jury found of Entercom at the Trial, appears to be prima
facie contrary to the public interest. Accordingly, we are unable to make
the finding required by Section 309(k)(1)(A). We therefore designate
Entercom’s license renewal Applications for hearing in order to develop a
more complete record and provide Entercom with an opportunity to raise
additional facts and circumstances, including those not related to the
Contest, that may be relevant to our public interest determination. In
addition, we specify that the hearing proceeding will commence no later
than the first business day after the nine-month anniversary of the release
of this Order. We further expect that the Presiding Judge and the parties
will move through this case expeditiously and that, upon conclusion of the
hearing, the Presiding Judge will make all reasonable efforts to issue his
Initial Decision on an expedited basis.
Accordingly, IT IS ORDERED that, pursuant to Section 309(e) of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. § 309(e), Applications
for Renewal of License for KDND(FM), File Nos. BRH-20130730ANM and
BRH-20050728AUU, are DESIGNATED FOR HEARING in a proceeding before an
Administrative Law Judge in Washington, D.C. to be commenced no later than
the first business day after the nine-month anniversary of the release of
this Order, upon the following issues:
(a) To determine whether Entercom designed and conducted a contest that was
inherently dangerous;
(b) To determine whether Entercom increased the danger to the contestants
in the “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest by changing the contest terms;
(c) To determine whether Entercom was aware of the potential dangers of
the “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest and water intoxication;
(d) To determine whether Entercom failed to protect the contestants of the
“Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest from its potential dangers;
(e) To determine whether Entercom failed to warn the contestants of the
“Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest of the contest’s potential dangers;
(f) To determine whether Entercom prioritized entertainment value over the
welfare of contestants of the “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest; Federal
Communications Commission FCC 16-153 35
(g) To determine whether Entercom failed to properly train and exercise
appropriate supervision of Station KDND(FM) staff and the “Hold Your Wee
for a Wii” contest to ensure the safety of the contestants;
(h) To determine, in light of the evidence adduced under the foregoing
issues and the totality of circumstances, whether Entercom License, LLC
operated Station KDND(FM) in the public interest during the most recent
license term; and
(i) To determine, in light of the evidence adduced under the foregoing
issues and the totality of circumstances, whether Entercom’s Applications
for Renewal of License for KDND(FM), File Nos. BRH-20130730ANM and
BRH-20050728AUU, should be granted.
The FCC has concurrently dismissed Stolz challenges to Entercoms license
renewals of stations in other markets. The full order can be read here.

iHeartMedia Names Mike Saffer As Tucson Market President

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...ket-president/

Mike Saffer has been appointed the new Market President for iHeartMedia
Tucson.
Saffer joins the company from Clear Channel Outdoor where he was VP/Sales
in Tucson. He succeeds Carl Anderson who exited at the end of 2016 to
become Chief Operating Officer of Tucson based Premier Auto Center and
JustTrucks.com.
iHeartMedia Tucson announced today that Mike Saffer has been named Market
President, effective immediately. iHeartMedia Tucson has a strong
cross-platform presence, massive consumer reach and includes a number of
iconic brands and franchises — both broadcast and digital — encompassing
radio station brands 93.7 KRQ, My 92.9, Hot 98.3, 97.1 The Bull, Tejano
1600, and news talk brands 790 KNST and 1450 KTZR.
iHeartMedia has massive consumer reach and influence across multiple
platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company.
As Market President, Saffer will work with the programming and sales teams
for iHeartMedia Tucson’s seven radio station brands to oversee on-air and
digital programming as well as create new revenue opportunities for local
clients and partners. Saffer will also manage the market’s live concerts,
community events and promotion initiatives.
“I am elated to make the transition into the iHeartMedia family here in
Tucson,” said Saffer. “Being raised in Tucson, the talent at these stations
has always played a major role in my life. I am excited to work with those
same stations to build upon their legacy and strengthen our relationship
with both advertisers and the community.”
Saffer previously served as the Vice President of Sales for Clear Channel
Outdoor Tucson. He is a Tucson native and has spent over 15 years in
outdoor sales and sales leadership roles.
“I am excited to have Mike bring his 15 years of sales and leadership
experience in out of home media to the team. Mike has strong relationships
in the community and I know that he will take iHeartMedia’s Tucson market
to the next level,” said Linda Little, President of iHeartMedia’s Arizona
Region. “We have a big year ahead for Tucson with this new addition to an
already great leadership team!”
iHeartMedia is a leading media outlet in the Tucson market and its content
is available across multiple platforms, including its broadcast stations;
online via its branded digital sites; mobile; and social, with nationwide
listening through iHeartRadio, the all-in-one streaming music and live
radio service – with its more than a billion downloads and 95 million
registered users.

Rick Thomas Joins Cox Media Group Tampa As Operations Manager

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...tions-manager/

Cox Media Group has appointed Rick Thomas as Operations Manager of its six
Tampa stations and Director of Branding and Programming for CHR Hot 101.5
WPOI.
Thomas exited his position as PD of CBS CHR 92.3 Amp Radio WBMP New York
last month following the expiration of his contract. He has also programmed
CBS Smooth AC 94.7 The Wave KTWV and Classic Hits K-Earth 101.1 KRTH Los
Angeles and Broadcast Company of Americas Rhythmic CHR Z90 XHTZ and
Rhythmic Oldies Magic 92.5 XHRM Tijuana/San Diego.
Thomas fills the PD opening at WPOI created by John E. Cages exit to join
Bonneville Country 98.5 KYGO Denver las September. In addition to WPOI, Cox
owns AC Magic 94.9 WWRM, Alternative 97X WSUN-FM, Hot Talk 102.5 The Bone
WHPT, Soft AC 105.5 The Dove WDUV, and Classic Rock 107.3 The Eagle WXGL in
the Tampa market.
Cox Media Group (CMG) Tampa has named Rick Thomas as Operations Manager for
WWRM-FM Magic 94.9, WSUN-FM 97X, WPOI-FM HOT 101.5, 102.5 The Bone WHPT-FM,
105.5 The Dove WDUV- FM, 107.3 The Eagle WXGL-FM, and all digital content.
Thomas will also serve as HOT 101.5 WPOI-FMs Director of Branding and
Programming.
“CMG is very fortunate to have Rick join our Tampa team,” said Keith
Lawless, CMG Tampa’s Vice President and Market Manager. “Rick is a
successful and innovative leader in our business with an exceptional track
record. I’m proud to partner with Rick and I have no doubt that his
contributions will help Tampa compete and win, even more.”
Previously, Thomas served as Program Director of CBS New York City’s 923
Amp Radio. Other programming highlights include successful time at KEarth
101 and 947 The Wave in Los Angeles, as well as Magic 925 and Z90 in San
Diego. Rick and family will relocate to Tampa in early March.
The quality of the people, and the company that one chooses to go to war
for are just as important as the yearning for a great competitive
challenge.” said Thomas, “As soon as I met Keith Lawless, I realized we
would do big things together. Im so pumped and excited to partner with
Keith, CMG CHR format boss JJ Rice, and reuniting with CMG Sr. VP of
Programming Steve Smith, whom I have known for three decades, in
implementing a high level cluster growth strategy as well developing and
curating these key brands for CMG Tampa.
Smith added, “I’ve had the opportunity to work with Rick in one way or
another for most of my career. He is a great strategist and a warrior! I am
so proud that Rick is joining the strongest programming team and media
company in the business

Curtis Media Acquires Beasley's Eastern North Carolina Cluster

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...olina-cluster/

Beasley Media has announced it is selling their Greenville-New
Bern-Jacksonville NC stations to Curtis Media Group for $11 million.
Curtis subidiary CMG Coastal Carolina will acquire Rock 99X 99.5 WXNR
Grifton, Urban AC 101.9 Kiss-FM WIKS New Bern, Hot AC V103.3 WMGV Newport,
Classic Rock 106.5 WSFL New Bern, and Beach/Oldies 1070 WNCT Greenville.
Classic Hits 107.9 WNCT-FM Greenville will be spun-off to Inner Banks Media
for an undisclosed amount.
Beasley intends to use the proceeds from the sale to reduce debt created
from its acquisition of Greater Media. Inner Banks, which will acquire
WNCT-FM owns four FMs in the market.
Beasley Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: BBGI) (the “Company”), a large- and
mid-size market radio broadcaster, announced today that Beasley Media
Group, Inc. has entered into an asset purchase agreement to sell WNCT-AM,
WNCT-FM, WSFL-FM, WIKS-FM, WMGV-FM and WXNR-FM, which serve the
Greenville-New Bern-Jacksonville, North Carolina market, for $11 million in
cash to CMG Coastal Carolina, LLC, a subsidiary of Curtis Media Group.
Beasley Broadcast Group intends to use proceeds from the divestiture to
reduce debt. CMG Coastal Carolina, which is affiliated with Curtis Media
Group, intends to spin-off WNCT-FM to Inner Banks Media, LLC.
Caroline Beasley, Chief Executive Officer of Beasley Broadcast Group,
commented, “Since the Company’s founding in 1961, Beasley has established a
long-term record of successfully optimizing its station portfolio through
both strategic acquisitions and divestitures to drive returns for our
shareholders. Last November we completed the accretive acquisition of
Greater Media, adding 17 stations (net of divestitures) and four attractive
new markets to our operating footprint. We are making continued progress
with the integration of the new stations as we apply our proven strategies
that focus on strong core programming and targeted localism to support
ratings and market leadership. We are confident that the stations being
divested will continue to offer listeners in Greenville-New
Bern-Jacksonville great local programming.”
The sale of the six Greenville-New Bern-Jacksonville stations, expected to
be completed in the second quarter of 2017, is subject to FCC approval and
other customary closing conditions. Michael Bergner of Bergner and Company
served as the broker in the transaction.

Lazer 99.3 Adds Second Signal

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...second-signal/

Saga Communications Rock Lazer 99.3 WLZX-FM Northampton/Springfield MA has
begun simulcasting on 1600 WHNP/105.1 W286DB East Longmeadow.
WHNP (Now under WLZX call letters) had been simulcasting Liberal Talk 1400
WHMP Northampton/1240 WHMQ Greenfield, while the translator completes its
move from Ithaca NY. The switch to a WLZX-FM simulcast helps fill some
coverage gaps for Lazer in the southern side of Springfield and in Enfield
CT.

Station Sales Week Of 2/3

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/11...es-week-of-23/

Station Sales
Stone Communications sells News/Talk simulcast 1110 WJML Petoskey and 1210
WJNL Kingsley/101.1 W266CS Traverse City MI to John Yobs Mitten News LLC
for $700,000.
Adams Radio sells 1590 WGBG Ocean City MD to WBEY 979 LLC for $20,000. WGBG
has already begun simulcasting the buyers Bay Country 97.9 WBEY-FM
Crisfield.
Jubilation Ministries, owner of 91.3 The Message WSTM Kiel/103.3 W277BR
Sheboygan and Standards 1420 The Breeze WJUB Plymouth WI will merge with
Evangel Ministries. Evangel owns Christian AC The Family 88.5 WGNV
Milladore/91.5 WEMY Green Bay/91.9 WEMI Appleton and five translators.
The previously announced sale of 730 WJMT Merrill WI from WRVM Inc. to
Sunrise Broadcasting has a price as the buyer will pay $75,000 for the
station.
GRA Communications acquires Country 1110 WSLV Ardmore TN from BE
Broadcasting for $70,000. GRA also owns Cat Country 105.1 740 WHMT/105.1
W286BG Tullahoma TN.
Prosser Seventh-Day Adventist Church donates Silent 90.5 KQBC Benton City
WA to Radio 74 Internationale for no consideration.