RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   930 WPAT in NYC area now testing IBOC/"HD Radio" Digital AM (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28091-re-930-wpat-nyc-area-now-testing-iboc-%22hd-radio%22-digital-am.html)

Mark Howell July 25th 03 03:16 PM

On 24 Jul 2003 16:19:32 GMT, "Cooperstown.Net"
wrote:

I'm archiving this message and will trot it out whenever you good =
radio folks argue from the Bakersfield Theory...the theory that radio is =
spread too thin because the government allows too much competition for a =
limited audience. Here is a station that has neither a service to offer =
nor a profit until it meets the monthly nut on $250 million.
station is correctly priced on its perceived potential, irrespective of =
its actual billing...and yet Bakersfielders would have us believe that =
listener service would be enhanced if only the FCC would engineer =
greater scarcity for the benefit of the owners.

Jerome

As the author of what you term the Bakersfield argument, I contend
your argument fails because you (a) assume the station is priced
correctly and the buyer did not over-pay -- which is a common
phenomenon in broadcasting -- and (b) fail to take market size into
account. Los Angeles is so big that a station with a tiny percentage
of the audience is still reaching so many people that it can be
profitable.

In smaller markets that just isn't so. Divide up the pie in
Bakersfield thinly enough, and nobody makes any money. Without
consolidation, only the top-ranked handful of Bakersfield's 30+
signals could be operated profitably today. Only three or four of
Bakersfield stations can be considered full-service operations under
the loosest definition of that term, and they're all in clusters of
three or more signals. A stand-alone, fully-staffed all-news station
with a 2 share in L.A. can be hugely profitable. A station with a 2
share in Bakersfield pretty much needs to be automated, and the rent
had better be cheap.

The Los Angeles metro is listed by Arbitron with a population of
10.407.400, approximately 21 times the size of the Bakersfield metro.
So a station that is really nothing but a "stick" selling for
$250,000,000 in Los Angeles, is roughly analogous to such a
Bakersfield station selling at between $11 and 12 million, which would
be high (my employer sold a full power TV station a few years back for
about that much), but I suppose it's possible. Of course, having paid
out that money, you'd have no guarantee of ever making it back. And
if you did, it would mean you really did invent a better moustrap and
put somebody else out of contention.

Mark Howell

WBRW July 25th 03 03:16 PM

If anyone can post an audio sample (with a link here) of an IBOC-AM using an
average AM radio please do so.

Band-scans up and down across 930 WPAT's IBOC signal (notice how it
nearly obliterates 920 WPHY and hisses in the background of 910 WRKL
and 950 WPEN):

ftp://ftp.amstereoradio.com/uploads/wpatiboc.mp3
ftp://ftp.amstereoradio.com/uploads/wpatscn2.mp3

Switching back and forth between 1530 WSAI and 1520 WWKB, when WSAI
was testing IBOC at night and WWKB happened to be broadcasting "dead
air", making the "hash" from WSAI even more noticeable (skywave
reception from New Jersey):

ftp://ftp.amstereoradio.com/iboc/wsaiiboc.mp3

Sid Schweiger July 25th 03 03:16 PM

i cannot believe that it is allowed (fcc rules?) to disturb the regular
reception of other AM stations in the locality! why do they let this happen?

As the FCC will tell you if you make this sort of complaint, the FCC does not
and cannot guarantee reception of any station, regardless of power output,
distance to the receiver or interference.

WBRW July 25th 03 03:16 PM

I really has more to do with TV. Actually, Soccer is very homoerotic.
They wear skimpy shorts and often get them pulled down during play.
Soccer players seem more physically comfortable with each other than
American players. They don't seem to care what anybody thinks.

Rubgy, too... I'd love to hear the radio play-by-play of what the
article below describes. It's a strange world, isn't it? American
athletes go around raping and killing people, while Aussies engage in
foreplay with their teammates right on the field. And was nobody
suspicious when they saw this guy carrying around a tube of KY? :-)

Rugger Resigns Over Rectal Fouls
Matt Alsdorf, Gay.com / PlanetOut.com Network
Wednesday, April 4, 2001 / 05:51 PM

Digital penetration of opposing players while on the field was deemed
"unsportsmanlike interference" by Australian rugby's governing body,
and the offending player has been forced to resign.

An Australian pro rugby player who resigned this weekend after being
caught sticking his finger in opposing players' anuses during a match
is now considering taking legal action against the New Zealand Cancer
Society (NZCS) for using his picture in an advertisement for prostate
cancer checks.

John Hopoate, a winger for the Australian National Rugby League's West
Tigers club, received a 12-week suspension from the NRL judiciary last
week for "unsportsmanlike interference" with three North Queensland
players whom he digitally penetrated. The Associated Press reported
that the resignation came after team management met to consider calls
for his removal.

Hopoate said he believed his decision was in the best interest of the
club and its fans, according to Agence France Presse. "I sincerely
regret that anything I may have done has caused stress, anxiety and
disappointment to everyone involved with the West Tigers," AFP quoted
Hopoate as saying in a statement he released through his manager.

NZCS took out an advertisement in New Zealand's The Dominion newspaper
with a color close-up of Hopoate apparently sticking his finger in
North Queensland captain Paul Bowman's anus. According to the
Australian Associated Press (AAP), the accompanying text reads, "A
bloke's chances of developing prostate cancer increases as he gets
older. If you have symptoms that you're concerned about, consult your
local doctor. It won't hurt a bit -- promise."

The AAP reports that Hopoate and his manager say they were not
consulted by NZCS about use of the image and are "looking at the legal
ramifications." NRL chief executive David Moffett said the ad was
"appalling."

But NZCS's Roger Taylor was quoted by New Zealand's One News as
saying, "It's a difficult message to get across for a difficult
disease ... and we felt our normal health promotion doesn't work that
well and that this was a topical issue that would perhaps get it out
there."

According to AFP, Hopoate, a 27-year-old teetotalling Mormon father of
five, had faced the NRL's disciplinary commission seven times in the
past four years, primarily for fighting.

p.s. Relevancy to this thread: Due to its 8.5-second digital
encoding/transmission/decoding delay, IBOC is incapable of
broadcasting live sporting events in real-time. And since the analog
audio is also delayed to match, spectators who bring a transistor
radio to the game will hear the play-by-play of what happened 8.5
seconds ago!

Rich Wood July 25th 03 05:52 PM

On 25 Jul 2003 14:16:33 GMT, (WBRW) wrote:

NZCS took out an advertisement in New Zealand's The Dominion newspaper
with a color close-up of Hopoate apparently sticking his finger in
North Queensland captain Paul Bowman's anus. According to the
Australian Associated Press (AAP), the accompanying text reads, "A
bloke's chances of developing prostate cancer increases as he gets
older. If you have symptoms that you're concerned about, consult your
local doctor. It won't hurt a bit -- promise."

Advertising in this country would be so much more fun if we had the
guts to do such things. The act was done in public, so use it in an ad
for a good cause. It was probably even broadcast, so it's no secret.

If I were the "invader" I'd let it drop. Imagine the press coverage a
lawsuit like that would bring. I'd send the Comedy Central news team
to cover it. Or is it more properly "uncover" it?

Salespeople and advertisers would learn a whole new meaning of the
term "insertion order."

According to AFP, Hopoate, a 27-year-old teetotalling Mormon father of
five, had faced the NRL's disciplinary commission seven times in the
past four years, primarily for fighting.

I want to be there when he explains it to the kids. Maybe he needs to
start drinking - moderately.

I find it very interesting that this has been crossposted to
rec.radio.digital.

Rich

Rich Wood July 25th 03 05:52 PM

On 25 Jul 2003 14:16:33 GMT, (WBRW) wrote:

An Australian pro rugby player who resigned this weekend after being
caught sticking his finger in opposing players' anuses during a match
is now considering taking legal action against the New Zealand Cancer
Society (NZCS) for using his picture in an advertisement for prostate
cancer checks.

Of course he resigned! It made him the butt of jokes.

Rich

Rich Wood July 25th 03 05:52 PM

On 25 Jul 2003 14:16:33 GMT, (WBRW) wrote:

An Australian pro rugby player who resigned this weekend after being
caught sticking his finger in opposing players' anuses during a match
is now considering taking legal action against the New Zealand Cancer
Society (NZCS) for using his picture in an advertisement for prostate
cancer checks.

I wonder if that's why our teams wear such protective uniforms. All
this time we thought it was to avoid breaking bones.

Rich

Jonathan E. Hardis July 26th 03 06:54 PM

(WBRW) wrote in message ...
Exactly what is the point of broadcasting these zero-ratings,
zero-advertiser, zero-listener formats in IBOC digital??

You miss the point. The point is that, once the stations goes
digital, they can convert to music formats and be competative with FM
in terms of sound quality -- and (with good programming and promotion)
ultimately market share.

Since it will take several years for there to be a substantial
installed base of IBOC radio receivers, which stations would you
propose converting first? The ones that already have a large
listenership, or the secondary players? Remember, digital is an
equalizer -- you don't need to have the most powerful transmitter in
the market in order to act like you do.

What's pointless is converting the major stations that current have
talk formats, with Dr. Laura, Rush, etc. The digital artifacts are
most noticable with talk, anyway. What digital broadcasting does is
provide a scenario whereby the smaller AM stations that have fallen
into disuse can find new life (and from their owners' perspective,
gain value).

- Jonathan

WBRW July 26th 03 06:54 PM

I wonder if that's why our teams wear such protective uniforms. All
this time we thought it was to avoid breaking bones.

Yeah, that's about as believable as the reasons cyclists say they wear
skin-tight spandex outfits which are designed to be worn "commando".

Or, as believeable as Mike Savage's excuse "I didn't know I was on the
air".

Drewdawg July 27th 03 08:14 PM

"WBRW" wrote in message
If anyone can post an audio sample (with a link here) of an IBOC-AM

using an
average AM radio please do so.

Band-scans up and down across 930 WPAT's IBOC signal (notice how it
nearly obliterates 920 WPHY and hisses in the background of 910 WRKL
and 950 WPEN):

ftp://ftp.amstereoradio.com/uploads/wpatiboc.mp3
ftp://ftp.amstereoradio.com/uploads/wpatscn2.mp3

Thanks for the links, dude ;-), they were most helpful.

First-adjacents get the major step-on while seconds get their share of hash.

To be fair, much of the hiss (in regard to listening to 930) was on stereo
reception. In mono the hiss was less, but still annoying. It's a noisy
signal that a strong signal doesn't fix. And don't get me started on the
telephone tin-can quality of what's left of the analog signal.

920 & 940 were both obliterated, an inexcusable situation. The fact these
stations were receivable without analog interference from 930 suggests these
are receivable AM stations being jammed (ok, not intentionally, we'll say
involuntary stomping on). Wasn't the FRC (Federal Radio Commission,
predecessor to the FCC) formed to stop this kind of interference?

As stated before, this isn't IBOC but IBAC twice (an in-band adjacent
channel on both sides) with a hit to the main channel to boot (hiss &
reduced fidelity).

IMHO the only answer is for the FCC to allocate spectrum in the short-wave
band for DRM to replicate current AM service in digital. The FCC allocated
new bandwidth for FM, let them do the same for DRM.