Old August 14th 03, 06:07 PM
DJ UndahCovah

Default Click to sign petition supporting radio free brattleboro

Brattleboro, Vermont

Our local radio station, radio free brattleboro, is currently
documenting community support to show the FCC that indeed, we have the
"authority to operate" as granted to us by the public, who own the
airwaves. We are a non-profit, non-commerical, 10 watt station with a
mission to train local citizens in the art of radio broadcasting and
the rights and responsibilities inherent to free speech. Our lawyers
have advised us that since the FCC has not defined what "authority to
operate" is, we can define it as community support. Since we webcast,
you are our community too!

Please click on this link to read our petition & register your
(electronic signature) support for our project.

http://www.petitiononline.com/07131998/petition.html

Please note that this is for Non-Residents of Brattleboro, VT only,
and only one signature can be registered per computer. If you've
already signed, please take a few minutes to pass this along to your
contacts who care about media reform and continuing to challenge the
increasing homogenization of corporate media.

You can check out our website at www.rfb.fm where you can access our
streaming web signal and look at our program guide. More information
on our current struggle to remain on air despite a recent visit by the
FCC is available at www.ibrattleboro.com, and by contacting us at

Thank you,

Sara, "DJ Undahcovah"

"It is time to move from being a passive consumer of media to becoming
a co-creator in a movement which gives voice to the voiceless. If you
can't communicate, you can't organize. If you can't organize, you
can't fight back. And, if you can't fight back, you have no chance of
winning."

Stephen Dunifer of Free Radio Berkeley paraphrasing "Scoop" Nisker

Old August 16th 03, 08:32 PM
gaffo

DJ UndahCovah wrote:

Our lawyers
have advised us that since the FCC has not defined what "authority to
operate" is, we can define it as community support. Since we webcast,
you are our community too!

1. you can never have too many lawyers. get some more!

2. look at case law!!!!! MicroKind prevailed in the appelete court!!
(look up the case file and read how they argued the case and why they
prevailed in the appeals court).

3. Read up on the lost cases to.........understand what the arguements
were and why they lost the cases.

4. read read read all case law on Pirate radio court cases!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. craft an argument (an original, one or the one Microkind used to
temporarily previal)..................don't bother crafting an argument
which has lost over and over in the courts (i.e. 1st amendment rights
argument).

6. forget the 1st amendment!.............try for specific case law where
the pirate previaled (again Microkind)(I think I remember that there was
another (preacher in Indiana?) who gave the courts a good fight).

7. General appeals to Constitutional rights and precepts invariably fail
in the real world courts. So using the 10th or 9th amendments is
out.........................well.................. the tenth argument
(i.e. municipality rights might be interesting). If you can get your
mayor and city counsel to publically defend and endorse you that would
be a good thing.

goodluck........you will need it!

Old August 16th 03, 08:33 PM
keep-it-clean

"DJ UndahCovah" wrote in message
Brattleboro, Vermont

(....snip...)

We are a non-profit, non-commerical, 10 watt station with a
mission to train local citizens in the art of radio broadcasting and
the rights and responsibilities inherent to free speech.

Yeah sure.

One of the responsibilities inherent to all of our liberties is to respect
and follow the existing laws. If you want to work for legislative change,
that's fine....but you don't get laws changed by breaking 'em.

I believe that "Radio Free Brattleboro" is run out of a urban youth center.
Apologies if I'm incorrect about that, but if I'm not.....way to go; great
example to set for these young people (NOT!)

Old August 18th 03, 03:24 PM
Sid Schweiger

Our local radio station, radio free brattleboro, is currently documenting
community support to show the FCC that indeed, we have the "authority to
operate" as granted to us by the public, who own the airwaves....Our lawyers
have advised us that since the FCC has not defined what "authority to operate"
is, we can define it as community support.

Of course. We all know the FCC has never heard THIS argument before.

If this is an example of the legal advice you're getting, fire them and get
different lawyers....ones with communications law experience, who can tell you
where you really stand legally.

Old September 19th 03, 09:00 PM
Fel Tramain

Our lawyers
have advised us that since the FCC has not defined what "authority to
operate" is, we can define it as community support. Since we webcast,
you are our community too!

Hey, I have seen judges get mad when people cite the constitution, so
nothing like that is going to help you. If you are in court against the
government, the government is going to win. If they say you have weapons
of mass destruction, it doesn't matter if you don't, you will die.

1. you can never have too many lawyers. get some more!

Lawyers only help when it is one citizen or company against another citizen
or company. The side with the most expensive lawyer wins, regardless of
who is right.

But when fighting the government, lawyers will not help you, nothing can.
If you cause too much problems, off to the concentration camps at Guantanamo
Bay never to be heard or seen from again.

6. forget the 1st amendment!....

Might as well, the government has.

7. General appeals to Constitutional rights and precepts invariably fail
in the real world courts.

They get mad and threaten to hold you in contempt of court if you mention
the constitution at all.

goodluck........you will need it!

Worthless. You will LOSE if you are up against the government.