Old August 30th 03, 06:04 PM
Ted Shireman

Default KPLS Reported Sold

Following from NewsMax.com via LARadio.com==Catholic Radio Network is
selling KPLS, Orange/Los Angeles, 50 kw on 830 AM, to L.A. based Radio
Visa LLC, for $38 million. Radio Visa is headed by Stephen Lehman, who
founded Premier Networks. Station has called itself "radio on the
right," and is home to Don Imus and local radio personality George
Putnam. Radio Visa is a new Hispanic radio network==Ted Shireman

Old August 30th 03, 07:45 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Ted Shireman wrote:
founded Premier Networks. Station has called itself "radio on the
right," and is home to Don Imus and local radio personality George
Putnam. Radio Visa is a new Hispanic radio network==Ted Shireman

When did the I-Man start doing the show in Spanish? :-)

Is the the anglo-talk format the current stuff or is this what it will
be switching to?

CRN is still selling off its stations? WOW

I thought Catholic Radio Network was long gone. That's one system I
was glad when it went belly up. They sold their Chicago station to
Radio Unica I think -- or was it One-On-One Sports (now Sporting News
Radio)?

CRN was going to buy AM 1660/Jersey City, NJ (in Elizabeth, NJ back
then). The call letters were to be WBAH. No kidding!

Wonder if it was supposed be similar to the noise that sheep make:
BAHHHH...

Radio Unica (the current owner of AM 1660) wisely changed those calls
to WWRU.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Old September 1st 03, 06:46 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Rich Wood wrote:
I was under the impression that CRN owned 1660 when it was run by John
Lynch. They bought a few expanded band stations.

Well, AM 1660 was supposed to be the X-Band partner of Elizabeth's AM
1530 WJDM (formerly a REALLY cool all LOCAL rock oldies daytimer).

AM 1530 later went leased-access in the mid-late 90s and then started
AM 1660 which was hooked up with the kiddie-pop Radio Aahs network.
Call letters were WAHS.

When that folded, AM 1660 was supposed to be bought by Catholic Radio
Network and the calls were prematurely changed from WAHS to WBAH.

When the sale to CRN fell through, Radio Unica stepped in and bought
both AM 1530 and AM 1660.

They kept the leased access (now mostly Spanish religious) on AM 1530
and upgraded the AM 1660 night signal so that now we have a solid
signal day and night on that wavelength.

Radio Unica also moved the station closer to NYC...so now it's WWRU
Jersey City instead of WWRU, EEE-lizabeth. :-)

I just want to know if Radio Unica plans on returning the AM 1530
licence to the FCC any time soon....I think it's been longer than the
requisite five years for doing the "choose one" thing, right?

Or has the FCC forgotten about that?

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Old September 1st 03, 06:46 PM
David Eduardo

"Ted Shireman" wrote in message
...'

KPLS was intended to be anchor station for the now-defunct Catholic
Family Radio Network. (As I recall it first went on the air with 2.5
kw licensed to city of Orange.) No information has been announced on
programming plans for the new Radio Visa.

KPLS started life as a talk station, owned by Danny Villanueva, the Rams
player and one of the founders of Univision.

Radiovisa has announced plans for programming. In fact, they are syndicating
their format right now, and have been doing so for nearly a year. "Gerardo
en la Mañana" is currently heard on a dozen or so smaller market stations,
and they have both news and other talk shows covering about 12 hours a day
at present on their satellite hookup.

The format is called "Spanish hot talk." Small point: it is Radiovisa, not
Radio Visa... sort of a copy of the Televisa name from Mexico.

www.radiovisa.com

Old September 2nd 03, 03:11 PM
Charles Bonesworth

Following from NewsMax.com via LARadio.com==Catholic Radio Network
is selling KPLS, Orange/Los Angeles, 50 kw on 830 AM, to L.A. based
Radio Visa LLC, for $38 million. Radio Visa is headed by Stephen
Lehman, who founded Premier Networks. Station called itself "radio
on the right," and is home to Don Imus and local radio personality
George Putnam. Radio Visa is a new Hispanic radio network

Great. That's all Los Angeles needs. Another damned foreign-
language station.

Soon every radio and television station here will be broadcast
entirely in spanish. And english audio will only appear on the
SAP subcarriers, where available.

Old September 3rd 03, 03:11 PM
CA was in NJ

Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:

I just want to know if Radio Unica plans on returning the AM 1530
licence to the FCC any time soon....I think it's been longer than the
requisite five years for doing the "choose one" thing, right?

Or has the FCC forgotten about that?

Somebody must have come up with a good all-purpose exemption by now, no?

Old September 19th 03, 08:56 PM
Scott D Fybush

CA was in NJ SHOT_ON_SIGHT writes:

Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:

I just want to know if Radio Unica plans on returning the AM 1530
licence to the FCC any time soon....I think it's been longer than the
requisite five years for doing the "choose one" thing, right?

Or has the FCC forgotten about that?

Somebody must have come up with a good all-purpose exemption by now, no?

No - but it doesn't apply to 1530/1660 Elizabeth, which was created under
a separate set of rules from most of the X-banders out there. The "Elizabeth
rule" automatically granted an X-band allocation to any AM daytimer that
was the sole local service for a community of more than 100,000 people.
It was originally meant to apply to WJDM and only WJDM (and was a tribute
to John Quinn's pull with his representatives in Washington), but was
eventually applied to 1190/1640 Vallejo CA as well.

Stations created under the "Elizabeth rule" don't have a five-year sunset.

Oh, and Sven - 1660 was never "WAHS." It used the WJDM calls in its Radio
Aahs days before becoming WBAH and then WWRU.

Old September 21st 03, 01:46 AM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Scott D Fybush wrote:
Stations created under the "Elizabeth rule" don't have a five-year sunset.

So no hope of the screaming and yelling Spanish preachers on AM 1530 ever
going away? Too bad.

Who owns AM 1530? Is it the same folks that own WWRU - Radio Unica or
have they unloaded it on someone else? Is it possible to separate the
stations?

Oh, and Sven - 1660 was never "WAHS." It used the WJDM calls in its Radio
Aahs days before becoming WBAH and then WWRU.

Ahhh...OK. Sorry about that one. Thanks very much!! :-)

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

W4RT OTT has Sold Charlie Hugg Equipment 0 December 7th 04 05:42 AM
W4RT OTT has Sold Charlie Hugg Equipment 0 December 7th 04 05:42 AM
SB-221 (Relist) SOLD mssybil Equipment 1 December 9th 03 08:43 PM
SOLD: Hallicrafters SX-43 WZ1U Boatanchors 0 August 23rd 03 12:41 AM
"UTC VM-4 MOD IRON IS SOLD" Ax9909 Boatanchors 0 August 6th 03 12:26 AM