Old October 3rd 03, 04:37 AM
WBRW

Default CRL processing - advice?

I have a CRL processing chain that I'm setting up and I'm just
wondering if anybody has any advice or experience regarding these
units. I have the SGC-800 Stereo Gain Controller, SEC-800 Spectral
Energy Compressor, and the SMP-950 AM Stereo Matrix Processor. I'm
setting this up on an AM station (and yes, it will be in full-fledged
AM Stereo!), but the first two units apparently can be used for FM
processing as well.

I know these are all late '80s units so they won't be as smooth or as
loud as a modern Optimod, but I would at least like to achieve a
reasonably "polished" sound, similar to the other CRL-equipped
stations I've heard. The manuals list a whole page of suggested
settings for each unit, but I have yet to discover a configuration
that provides the ideal compromise between loudness and fidelity.

I may experiment with using additional processing in front of or in
combination with these CRL boxes, but if anybody has their favorite
"magic" settings which help this CRL trio perform at its best, I would
appreciate your advice and recommendations (other than "toss it all
out and spend the $$$ on an Optimod 9100-B2!).

Old October 9th 03, 09:29 PM
Ed M

Used the same units when we first went AM stereo in 1984. Was in use till a
new chief engineer arrived with his fancy new processor. We're now using
the Optimod 9100B-2 with the LED metering. If you do look for an optimod,
find a 9100B with the 'real' meters.

Old October 9th 03, 09:30 PM
Bob Haberkost

Gee....CRLs. Wow.

Properly set up, I think CRLs can still beat anything currently available. I know I
had a couple, a stereo set on both AM and FM (and this before AM Stereo was
rype-accepted) and I just killed the competition.

The trick is to work the gain control (as in processing) in such a way that clues are
introduced in the envelope which "inform" the listener about how loud the audio was
before the CRLs crunched the hell out of it. As such, gating, speed and slope all
have to be set in such a way that the audio is loosely, not tightly, controlled, the
latter being all to easy to do with the CRL set you have.

Bottom line....the lights need to blink a lot, and only on the loudest sections
should they be on all the time. But here's the thing....my settings were never even
close to the suggested settings. Those settings are too aggressive, and you can get
a result that sounds louder but is less processed if you set it up with finesse, not
sledgehammers.

Beyond that, it's still a process of trial and error....if your source material is
particularly bright, then you'll want to have less gain on the high band section on
the SEC. There's also a lot of fiddling with the NAB filter (in that the curve, and
rolloff, need to be respected...don't push the high end too much, 'cos the SMP's
going to clip it before filtering).

Good luck. I've really never had anything good to say about Orban products, unless
they've been modified or are used very gently as the last box before it hits the
transmitter. High priced junk, really.

--
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old October 10th 03, 11:29 PM
Philip de Cadenet

Ed,

Used the same units when we first went AM stereo in 1984. Was in use till a
new chief engineer arrived with his fancy new processor. We're now using
the Optimod 9100B-2 with the LED metering. If you do look for an optimod,
find a 9100B with the 'real' meters.

Real meters are prone to sticking.

The bar graph's react quicker and don't stick.
--
Philip de Cadenet
Transmitters 'R' Us