Old October 18th 03, 05:38 AM
Ty Ford

Default FM Interference when the sun comes up

In Article , "Colin" wrote:
From Canada, when trying to tune in a weak signal from the USA to get

National Public Radio I find that at night and on cloudy days the signal is
clear and fine. I am using a Showgun TV antenna and amplifying it through a
Trisonic 10db 10-900 MHz box.

On bright sunny days, at about 10 am when the sun is rising higher in the
sky the signal gets
gradually worse until there is so much interference that the signal is as
good as lost. In the evening it comes back and is clear again. It appears to
affect only weak stations, the local stronger stations have no interference.

Can anyone tell me what may be triggering this noise? Is there anything I
can do about it?

Thanks

Cloud bounce, or atmosphere bounce. I used to get 102.3 from Cape May NJ in
certain parts of Baltimore in the 7am-9am range during days with foggy
mornings. As the fog burned off the reception vanished.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Old October 18th 03, 05:39 AM
Charles Hobbs

Colin wrote:
From Canada, when trying to tune in a weak signal from the USA to get

National Public Radio I find that at night and on cloudy days the signal is
clear and fine. I am using a Showgun TV antenna and amplifying it through a
Trisonic 10db 10-900 MHz box.

On bright sunny days, at about 10 am when the sun is rising higher in the
sky the signal gets
gradually worse until there is so much interference that the signal is as
good as lost. In the evening it comes back and is clear again. It appears to
affect only weak stations, the local stronger stations have no interference.

Can anyone tell me what may be triggering this noise? Is there anything I
can do about it?

Maybe there's an intermittent connection that's worsened by the
heat of the sun (when heated, most metals tend to expand. This might
be partially loosening a connection to, or even within, the antenna,
causing the signal to weaken).