Old February 10th 04, 04:33 AM
G.T. Tyson

Default Mr. Yagi?

When one is referring to a directional recieving antenna, where does
the word Yagi come from? Is it the name of the person who invented it,
or is there a different story behind it? Just curious...

gtt

Old February 10th 04, 04:49 PM
Vince and Amy

Actually, the correct name for the antenna is a "Yagi-Uda", named after the two
Japanese engineers who developed it.

Old February 10th 04, 04:49 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

G.T. Tyson wrote:
When one is referring to a directional recieving antenna, where does
the word Yagi come from? Is it the name of the person who invented it,
or is there a different story behind it? Just curious...

http://www.jpo.go.jp/seido_e/rekishi...tsugu_yagi.htm

(where you will find a photo of Dr. Yagi, holding his invention)

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old February 10th 04, 04:49 PM
Bob Haberkost

Yagi is the name of the man who invented the antenna design which bears his name,
yes. I believe he was (or possibly still is) Japanese.
--
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old February 10th 04, 04:49 PM
Scott Dorsey

G.T. Tyson wrote:

When one is referring to a directional recieving antenna, where does
the word Yagi come from? Is it the name of the person who invented it,
or is there a different story behind it? Just curious...

It was invented in the 1930s by Mr. Yagi and Mr. Uda, whom I think were at
the University in Kyoto. Their book is still in print, I believe.
--scott

Old February 11th 04, 02:08 AM
Greg and Joan

"G.T. Tyson" wrote in message

When one is referring to a directional recieving antenna, where does
the word Yagi come from? Is it the name of the person who invented it,
or is there a different story behind it? Just curious...

Yes.

Old February 11th 04, 02:08 AM
Phil S Stein

"G.T. Tyson" wrote in message

When one is referring to a directional recieving antenna, where does
the word Yagi come from? Is it the name of the person who invented it,
or is there a different story behind it? Just curious...

gtt

The Yagi was invented by two Japanese engineers, Hidetsu Yagi and
Shintaro Uda back in the 1930's. I do not know if either is still
alive, but they called it a Yagi-Uda.

I do, however, know that there is no Mr. Crest.

Old February 16th 04, 10:29 PM
David Drumheller

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
G.T. Tyson wrote:
When one is referring to a directional recieving antenna, where does
the word Yagi come from? Is it the name of the person who invented it,
or is there a different story behind it? Just curious...

http://www.jpo.go.jp/seido_e/rekishi...tsugu_yagi.htm

(where you will find a photo of Dr. Yagi, holding his invention)

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com

A Japanese friend of mine says that "yagi" means "goat" in Japanese. So the
antenna was invented by "Mr. Goat" and the antenna itself is the "goat
antenna."

Dave, K3WQ

FS: Dualband 2m/70cm yagi and 6m yagi Andy in NJ Antenna 0 July 1st 04 05:38 AM
FS: Dualband 2m/70cm yagi and 6m yagi Andy in NJ Antenna 0 July 1st 04 05:38 AM
Yagi, OWA and Wideband Yagi etc etc Richard Antenna 4 June 14th 04 01:48 PM
Quad vs Yagi (or log) Thierry Antenna 23 February 18th 04 09:38 PM
Remodelling commercial VHF yagi beams. Richard Antenna 2 February 14th 04 04:55 PM