RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   WJR no longer in stereo (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28589-wjr-no-longer-stereo.html)

CA was in NJ May 8th 04 06:43 PM

misterfact wrote:

Like I need to hear a pathological liar radio talk show host on WJR
(you know who)- IN STEREO

Resurrecting a month-old thread to add nothing even remotely relevant to the
discussion is sure Bozo Sign.

Get out of the library.

Paul Jensen May 8th 04 08:41 PM

"misterfact" wrote in message

Who needs a pathological liar talk show host like "you know who" in

stereo either!

WJR is carrying Air America now???

Michael Salmons May 21st 04 06:34 PM

Does ANY station in the US broadcast in stereo anymore?
More specifically, any 50kw stations or at least something I can pick
up in the US midwest at night? I purchased an AM stereo campatible
tuner about three months ago and have never even seen a hint of stereo
on the AM band.

Michael Salmons

(misterfact) wrote in message ...
Tom Betz wrote in message ...
(Steven Burns) wrote in :

Given that WJR had broadcast in stereo for some 20 years, this is
hardly an encouraging sign for the status of AM Stereo within the
industry.

For how many of those 20 years has it been a talk station?

Back when I used to listen to it (60's through mid-70's) it had enough of a
variety of programming to make it worth using stereo, and none was
available. But who needs stereo on a talk station? It's a waste.

Who needs a pathological liar talk show host like "you know who" in stereo either!

Roland Stiner May 23rd 04 03:41 AM

Does ANY station in the US broadcast in stereo anymore?
More specifically, any 50kw stations or at least something I can pick
up in the US midwest at night? I purchased an AM stereo compatible
tuner about three months ago and have never even seen a hint of stereo
on the AM band.

There's one on 1660 in the NYC area but that won't do you a bit of good;
they don't speak English!

Roland

WBRW May 23rd 04 03:41 AM

(Michael Salmons) wrote in message ...
Does ANY station in the US broadcast in stereo anymore?
More specifically, any 50kw stations or at least something I can pick
up in the US midwest at night? I purchased an AM stereo campatible
tuner about three months ago and have never even seen a hint of stereo
on the AM band.

For a comphrehensive worldwide list of AM Stereo stations, visit The
Official AM Stereo Web Site:

http://AMStereo.s5.com

In the Midwest at night, try 760 WJR from Detroit and 890 WLS from
Chicago -- both 50,000-watt AM Stereo stations with nighttime coverage
that extends for hundreds of miles. (Yes, despite the ill-named
thread here, WJR continues to broadcast in full AM Stereo to this day,
as do hundreds of other stations around the world.)

p.s. If your receiver has never triggered into Stereo mode on the AM
band, are you sure it truly has AM Stereo capability? More than a few
people have been fooled by ambiguously-labeled "FM/AM Stereo"
receivers which are actually only Stereo on the FM band. Check the
receiver list on the aforementioned web site to make sure yours is
listed.

Michael Salmons May 25th 04 07:46 PM

In the Midwest at night, try 760 WJR from Detroit and 890 WLS from
Chicago -- both 50,000-watt AM Stereo stations with nighttime coverage
that extends for hundreds of miles. (Yes, despite the ill-named
thread here, WJR continues to broadcast in full AM Stereo to this day,
as do hundreds of other stations around the world.)

Thanks for that info.

p.s. If your receiver has never triggered into Stereo mode on the AM
band, are you sure it truly has AM Stereo capability? More than a few
people have been fooled by ambiguously-labeled "FM/AM Stereo"
receivers which are actually only Stereo on the FM band. Check the
receiver list on the aforementioned web site to make sure yours is
listed.

It's the Sony ST-JX520A, which is listed as being an AM Stereo tuner
on at least one of the AM Stereo web sites.

Michael

Ron Hardin May 26th 04 12:05 AM

You can get a loud 120Hz hum from WFAN 660 NYC in forced stereo.
They're modulating the difference channel with it somehow.
--
Ron Hardin

Bobby The D May 26th 04 11:46 PM

Does ANY station in the US broadcast in stereo anymore?
More specifically, any 50kw stations or at least something I can pick
up in the US midwest at night? I purchased an AM stereo campatible
tuner about three months ago and have never even seen a hint of stereo
on the AM band.

WWKB in Buffalo lights the stereo indicator on my Delco radio, but the
programming seems to be in mono. They're pretty directional, so it's
not likely you're gonna get them in the midwest. Only other one I
know of is WILD, a daytimer in Boston. Supposedly, all the X-band
(1610-1700) stations broadcast in stereo. My stereo radio doesn't
tune that high.

WBRW May 26th 04 11:46 PM

It's the Sony ST-JX520A, which is listed as being an AM Stereo tuner
on at least one of the AM Stereo web sites.

It has to be the Canadian version (which specifically says "FM
Stereo/AM Stereo" on the front panel), though; the U.S. version is not
equipped with AM Stereo.

becko May 27th 04 05:20 AM

It's the Sony ST-JX520A, which is listed as being an AM Stereo tuner
on at least one of the AM Stereo web sites.

Michael

Only the Australian & Canadian models had the AM stereo. The US
version did not. This also applies to the ST-JX220A.

becko