Old April 15th 04, 07:02 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

Err, correction: "Relive," not "relieve."

73,

SL

Old April 15th 04, 07:02 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Corbin Ray" wrote:

I downloaded OTS Juke so I play radio on my computer, and I've got some WLS
jingles intermixed with my music. And since the program has an excellent
dynamic processor, I try to create the Big 89 sound as closely as possible.
I'm still in the tweaking stage (as I have been for over two years).

I don't stream my "station" or anything, just play it for my sake till my
wife makes me turn it down.

Truly cool! Yes, WLS had a sound that was
fatter than my Aunt Mary Kay, with a huge
bottom, to boot! I've visited the WLSHISTORY
webpage numerous times, and played the jingles
and listened to the airchecks, and, while I
was doing so, I realized that it isn't too
common to relieve *happy* memories, but I did.

When I listen to old airchecks of WLS, I relive
fishing with my late father, shoveling snow for
pocket money in those gloomy winters, going to
movies with my pals, and a couple of awkward
attempts at dating.

I hate to quote Carly Simon, but "these are the
good old days." Still, listening to airchecks of
WLS from ages past reminds me of how I came to
be who I am now.

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

Old April 15th 04, 08:10 PM
T. Early

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
On 14 Apr 2004 14:42:59 GMT, "T. Early"
wrote:

That's a reasonable distinction. So should I assume that Air

America
representatives did not approach the owners with an offer, knowing
that acceptance of the offer would result in CAA programming being
replaced?

Offers like this are made every day. Broadcasting is win-lose
business. If one show comes in another has to go out.

WLIB is a commercial entity. If it's losing money because no one is
listening and they can't sell time, something has to give. Supposing
BET had a radio network and made the same deal? CAA programming

would
go, also.

You can't blame Air America for seeing an opportunity and making
something of it.

I don't blame 'em, but this thread has gotten long enough where the
original context, which concerned an article linked to by the original
poster, has gotten lost. The author of the article (which was
admittedly over the top) found some irony in the fact that a network
catering to those who are usually obsessed with multiculturism and
speech outlets for the "disenfranchised" would themselves
"disenfranchise" this type of programming. Another poster (also
above) took issue with this characterization, and it seems to me that
who did what to whom -is- relevant in that context. I also think it's
a reasonable assumption that had WLIB's programming been replaced by,
say, Michael Medved or Mike Reagan, we'd be hearing a lot about the
loss of CAA's "voice" from those who support Air America.

Old April 16th 04, 04:38 AM
Paul Jensen

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth Bill Blomgren in

They added 6 more today. After being on the air all of two weeks. That's
pretty good.

At this rate they'll be another Sean Hannity. In about a thousand years.

Old April 16th 04, 03:52 PM
Rich Wood

On 16 Apr 2004 03:38:37 GMT, "Paul Jensen"
wrote:

They added 6 more today. After being on the air all of two weeks. That's
pretty good.

At this rate they'll be another Sean Hannity. In about a thousand years.

Understand that networks aren't like they were in the 40 and 50s where
stations plugged in and stayed. Today's networks affiliate on a show
by show basis. When someone says "they added 6 more today" it most
likely means that they picked up one show, probably Franken.

At some point a decision will have to be made about the viability of a
fulltime network if the other shows don't add stations, too. Or,
they'll do what many are doing and run reruns of the same day's show.
The drawback to that is that you can't be topical because the course
of the topic may have radically changed by the time the rerun airs.

As it is, stations that are delaying Franken are getting out of date
information when he deals with issues that are happening as he's
discussing them. Limbaugh, for example, is run live in all time zones.
Only a few stations delay the show and they do it by about an hour,
not another daypart.

Rich

Old April 25th 04, 11:14 PM
ARNOLDEVNS

AA has probably had the most successful launch in the history of talk
radio.

Please explain this statement. Many other shows have debuted on far more
stations at their launch in the past few years. What definition of success are
you using to make this statement??

Old May 7th 04, 04:01 PM
misterfact

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message ...
I don't care who owns WLIB. But I will never forgive them for killing one of
the best radio stations in middle America. Remember what happened to WOWO,
50,000-watt blowtorch from Fort Wayne that covered 38 states and half of
Canada? The owner of WLIB bought them a few years ago, decreased their power
and changed their directional pattern just so that WLIB could increase its
own power to cover NYC. Then the owners dumped their damaged goods and sold
WOWO to someone else.

That was one of the saddest days in broadcast history for me. WOWO used to
have an incredible signal here in Kentucky. Back in the 70s, my radio
buttons were set on WLS, WCFL, WOWO, and 15 WLAC. And even though they
weren't still playing music, I was listening to them steadily every night,
right up to the sad night when their strong signal became a noisy whisper.

So as far as I'm concerned, WLIB can take a flying leap into the Hudson
River and let us have WOWO back.

That "noisy whisper"- Glad to see that the station and Mr. Limbaugh
have become a noisy whisper. We need as much fresh and QUIET air as we
can get!

Old May 8th 04, 06:43 PM
Peter H.

That was one of the saddest days in broadcast
history for me. WOWO used to have an incredible
signal here in Kentucky.

But, WCKY had a stronger signal, and it was actually a former Kentucky station,
too. Originally licensed to Covington.

Back in the 70s, my radio buttons were set on WLS,
WCFL, WOWO, and 15 WLAC.

WLAC is on 1510.

Old May 10th 04, 04:37 AM
Bill Doerner

"Peter H." wrote in message

That was one of the saddest days in broadcast
history for me. WOWO used to have an incredible
signal here in Kentucky.

But, WCKY had a stronger signal, and it was actually a former Kentucky

station,
too. Originally licensed to Covington.

Back in the 70s, my radio buttons were set on WLS,
WCFL, WOWO, and 15 WLAC.

WLAC is on 1510.

True enough, but for years they went by the moniker "15 - WLAC"