Old April 15th 04, 05:15 PM
Robert Zachrisson

Default Info wanted on Texar RCF-1 modification on Orban Optimod 8100

I have recently come over a used Optimod 8100 whitch is modified with
the Texar RCF-1 unit.
Anyone have any info on the Texar mod?
Any info would be helpful.

Robert

Old April 16th 04, 03:52 PM
Bob Haberkost

You people who always slag the Texars....it's pretty obvious that you don't
know how to use them.

In the times when I used Texars, in just this sort of configuration, it was
little trouble to have the LOUDEST signal on the dial (with no overmod) yet
sound so much like the source that it was virtually impossible to
differentiate between the source and the air product. Before the Texar was
the big rage it was in the mid 80's, it was virtually a secret weapon in the
processor wars that were running in Pittsburgh....although it's worth noting
that most of my competition had them, too...they just couldn't make them
sound as good.

Computers are pretty worthless tools when one doesn't know how to use them,
either.

If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Canadian Prime Minister - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

"John Higdon" wrote in message
In article ,
(Robert Zachrisson) wrote:

I have recently come over a used Optimod 8100 whitch is modified with
the Texar RCF-1 unit.
Anyone have any info on the Texar mod?
Any info would be helpful.

The most helpful advice I can probably give you is to attempt to return
the unit to stock Orban and throw the Texar away.

--
John Higdon | Email Address Valid | SF: +1 415 428-COWS
+1 408 264 4115 | Anytown, USA | FAX: +1 408 264 4407

Old April 16th 04, 11:39 PM
John Higdon

In article ,
"Bob Haberkost" wrote:

You people who always slag the Texars....it's pretty obvious that you don't
know how to use them.

Oh, please.

In the times when I used Texars, in just this sort of configuration, it was
little trouble to have the LOUDEST signal on the dial (with no overmod) yet
sound so much like the source that it was virtually impossible to
differentiate between the source and the air product.

Yes, I've heard that one before. Unfortunately, the sound of the
stations don't ever seem to back them up.

Before the Texar was
the big rage it was in the mid 80's, it was virtually a secret weapon in the
processor wars that were running in Pittsburgh....although it's worth noting
that most of my competition had them, too...they just couldn't make them
sound as good.

Is that why stations sounded so bad on the east coast back then? Thanks
for clearing that up.

Computers are pretty worthless tools when one doesn't know how to use them,
either.

That doesn't mean Texars aren't crap.

Old April 17th 04, 04:10 PM
Bob Haberkost

It's good to see that the unfettered ego is still alive in audio processing.
While you're right...the east coast and Pittsburgh, in particular, sounded
like crap...still does, for that matter. But one station did stand out for
quality and loudness...mine. You don't have to believe me, and I have
nothing that requires that you do. But...if you want to believe that your
inadequate skills have no relationship to your inability to get an audio
processing chain to sound decent and loud with as little discernable
tradeoff, it's no skin off my nose.

Just because you can't make them sound good, doesn't make them crap, either.
Just admit that you don't know how to make them sound good, since others
have no trouble showing that it's not impossible to do.

Old April 17th 04, 05:05 PM
Eric C. Weaver

Scott Dorsey wrote:

There are plenty of PDs who don't want transparency, and in fact who
want processing that specifically puts their fingerprint on the sound
and makes it sound different than everything else on the dial. Not
necessarily better, just different.

Is anybody still using reverb on the microphone channels?

--
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." --FZ

Hi, Scott!