Old April 20th 04, 04:14 PM
Jianhong Wang

Default Stereo Seperation of Stereo AM

Hi, Guys

I want to know what is the best stereo seperation a commercial
receiver can get for stereo AM signal? Could you recommend a receiver
to me. The same question to the transmitter. What is the best stereo
AM generator that can generates a good stereo seperation.

Thanks

Old April 20th 04, 09:08 PM
Mike Cleaver

Stations still broadcasting in AM Stereo in North America seem to be
using CRL equipment.
Sony made some good receivers. I have a Sony am stereo walkman (no
longer amde) a Sony two speaker small transistor radio (no longer
made) and a Sony home am stereo receiver (also no longer made)
The two smaller radios were given out to key staff when the station
for which I was working went Stereo years ago.

On 20 Apr 2004 15:14:08 GMT, (Jianhong Wang) wrote:

Hi, Guys

I want to know what is the best stereo seperation a commercial
receiver can get for stereo AM signal? Could you recommend a receiver
to me. The same question to the transmitter. What is the best stereo
AM generator that can generates a good stereo seperation.

Thanks

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Old April 26th 04, 07:42 PM
t.hoehler

Hi Jianhong, I found the cquam documents I have. The first is a Motorola IC
advance information on the MC13020P AM stereo decoder chip. the second doc
is by Motorola also, Questions and Answers for the consumer. I don't know
if these will help, but to answer your question about separation of the
received am stereo signal, the MC13020P chip claims 30 db channel
separation, and at 100% modulation, the output distortion is typically 1.0 %
THD. Other than that info, the IC spec sheet gives pinout info on the
decoder chip, but no info about the transmitter end at all. Unfortunately, I
have no info on the Motorola CQUAM stereo exciter.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Old April 27th 04, 03:29 PM
Bob Haberkost

It's been a long time, but I seem to recall, when I did KDKA's first stereo
audio proof of performance (with Kahn's independent sideband system) that I
got about 36 to 38dB separation....disappointing when compared to FM specs,
but really good enough for automobiles, where most C-Quam radios were,
anyway.
If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Canadian Prime Minister - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

"t.hoehler" wrote in message
[...]

Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Homebrew 0 November 15th 04 02:17 AM
For Sale: FM Stereo Broadcast Transmitter 88-108 MHz Digital PLLLCD Display - 2 Watt righteous-jude Homebrew 0 November 12th 04 08:05 AM
WJR no longer in stereo Steven Burns Broadcasting 23 May 30th 04 04:35 PM
CQUAM stereo decoding Steve A Homebrew 2 October 17th 03 03:16 AM
CQUAM stereo decoding Steve A Homebrew 0 October 16th 03 12:11 AM