Old May 17th 04, 07:14 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Default rant: ads for illegal products

On my way to the Dayton Hamvention last Thursday, I happened to hear the
last few seconds of an ad on WNRQ-105.9 (Nashville). Listeners were
invited to "Go Stealth"; to call 800-695-7703 to buy "The Phazer", which
would make their car invisible to police radar and guaranteed to
reimburse buyers who get speeding tickets.

I've found this device on the Internet:
http://www.jammersstore.com/p_phazer.htm

And, I've found this decision:
http://www.fcc.gov/ogc/documents/opi.../rockymtn.html

in which the Court of Appeals finds the FCC was justified in prohibiting
Rocky Mountain Radar from marketing a similar device.

The FCC found this device was not certified under Part 15, and *could
not* be certified, as its *intended purpose* was to interfere with the
licensed police radar service.

As a motorist who's sick and tired of being harassed & tailgated every
time I dare pass while going less than 20 over the limit... and a
law-abiding broadcaster & ham... I find this ad simply amazing.

We have a product that is ILLEGAL to market and ILLEGAL to use. Its
purpose is to intentionally interfere with a licensed radio service.
And, more fundamentally, to allow motorists to intentionally violate the
law without risk of prosecution.

I wonder what WNRQ would say if the Nashville TV stations started airing
ads for 500-watt FM transmitters for use by pirate broadcasters?

(and I don't mean to pick only on WNRQ. I've also heard this ad on
WFAW-AM in Wisconsin, and at least one other station.)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old May 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Philip de Cadenet

Doug,

in which the Court of Appeals finds the FCC was justified in prohibiting
Rocky Mountain Radar from marketing a similar device.

None of the Rocky Mountain products work.

There's plenty of info via Google including video footage of actual
testing of these products.

There are working units out there, but not from this company.
--
Philip de Cadenet G4ZOW
Transmitters 'R' Us

Old May 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Sid Schweiger

The FCC found this device was not certified under Part 15, and *could not* be
certified, as its *intended purpose* was to interfere with the licensed police
radar service.

Yes indeed. RMR obeyed the ruling, too. They took that particular model off
the market.

Then, they redesigned the case, changed a few electronic parts, gave it a new
model name and number...and went right on selling it. AFAIK, the FCC hasn't
caught up with them yet.

Its purpose is to intentionally interfere with a licensed radio service. And,

more fundamentally, to allow motorists to intentionally violate the law without
risk of prosecution.

Only problem is, the @#$%^&*ing things don't work. They assume that the cop
can't tell that a vehicle which spits "23 mph" or "360 mph" on their radar,
while passing everyone else on the Interstate, is using a jammer. There may be
some dumb cops out there, but they're generally not THAT dumb. Most people who
plug these toys also don't realize that a cop does not have to write down a
specific speed on your ticket. He or she can legally write "in excess of
insert speed limit here," assuming that is an accurate account of what
happened...rendering any false reading because of a jammer irrelevant.

According to the car magazines which regularly test such so-called jammers,
they only work at such close range (if they work at all) that by the time they
emit their interfering signal, the cop has already measured your speed. The
only radar and laser jammers which really work, you can't afford, and you would
be jailed immediately and forever if you had one...they belong to the military.

Many jurisdictions have invoked "interference with a police officer" statutes
to arrest and jail motorists attempting to use jammers.