Old June 17th 04, 09:20 PM
News Subsystem

On 17 Jun 2004 03:08:07 GMT, "Don Forsling" wrote:

"OIE" wrote in message ...
On 13 Jun 2004 17:40:03 GMT, Rich Wood
wrote:

Actually, I meant more along the lines of news. Is it even illegal to
replay short clips? Probably so, just making sure.

Radio stations pay networks with commercial inventory to use those
actualities.Lots of inventory. I don't believe you'll find there's any
"fair use" application in a one minute news clip that's been edited by
the network and paid for by the stations.

Under no circumstances, short of getting permission, can you use the
voice of any network personality unless you want to pay them a hefty
fee. You're in very dangerous water.

Rich

Just thought of something else. What about rebroadcasting
politicians? I know you can use the words of politicians freely, but
do you have to record their words yourself?

Drop that thought.

No, you don't have to literally record the words yourself. You can have
somebody do that for you, but as has been made pretty clear here already,
you cannot record the "words" from someone else's radio station and then
play them on yours. Sure, the politician was no doubt speaking in a public
forum, but the radio station from which _you_ got the audio was the party
that some way, some how and for sure paid for that audio. And that station
owns that particular rendering of that audio. They paid for it. They sent
a reporter to the scene to record it. Or they paid a network in spot
inventory to get it. You didn't. There isn't such a thing as free audio
for use on the air (unless, of course, you negotiate a price of $0.00 with
the party that owns it. You can't just take it from the owner (well, you
_can_ but you shouldn't). I think your search for free stuff is going to be
futile.

Don

Could you rephrase that, I think it was a little vague. Just kidding!
Thanks for the answers; I just wanted to get some answers. As I said,
the only thing I could find was fair use in the university classroom.
Thanks for the help.

Old June 18th 04, 09:15 PM
Rich Wood

On 15 Jun 2004 21:49:51 GMT, OIE wrote:

Just thought of something else. What about rebroadcasting
politicians? I know you can use the words of politicians freely, but
do you have to record their words yourself?

More difficult to answer since many political things are done through
a pool. CNN, for instance, is the Republican Convention originator.

The practical issue is whether or not the feed can be traced to its
source and that source objects to it being used by anyone other than
those licensed to do so.

Where will you get your feed? From a radio station? They also have a
say in how their material can be used.

Whenever you use material you're not licensed to use you risk heavy
duty litigation.

Rich

Old July 1st 04, 05:49 PM
Scott Dorsey

David Eduardo wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Wait, I thought all US Government productions were available for public

use?

I believe it was an AFRTS broadcast of a US network program. However, the
FCC investigated the off-air-recording aspect, leaving unprotected the
copyright violation of the network broadcast.

The case is in the FCC historic file, I believe. Searching under George
Mayoral, Alfredo Ramirez de Arellano and WKYN will find it.

Indeed, and I just looked it up. I am not sure the off-air-recording issue
can be considered current any longer, though I can't find anything later
about it.
--scott