Old June 29th 04, 04:02 AM
Rich Gilstein

Default Question About WPAT AM/FM Paterson

In 1996 when WPAT-AM was sold to Heftel Broadcasting and WPAT-FM was
sold to Spanish Broadcasting System and both companies moved their
studios and offices to New York City and I assume their transmitters
were also relocated either to the Empire State Building and/or to
the World Trade Center. What became of the offices, studios and
transmitter towers on Broad Street in Clifton?

Also is their anywhere on the Internet with either downloadable or
streaming airchecks from WPAT?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old June 29th 04, 06:36 AM
David Eduardo

"Rich Gilstein" wrote in message
In 1996 when WPAT-AM was sold to Heftel Broadcasting and WPAT-FM was
sold to Spanish Broadcasting System and both companies moved their
studios and offices to New York City and I assume their transmitters
were also relocated either to the Empire State Building and/or to
the World Trade Center. What became of the offices, studios and
transmitter towers on Broad Street in Clifton?

WPAT- AM still broadcasts from Clifton, although the studio location is
unknown to me.

WPAT-FM had its antenna on the WTC, and moved to the ESB after 9/11.

Old June 29th 04, 06:36 AM
Peter H.

In 1996 when WPAT-AM was sold to Heftel Broadcasting and WPAT-FM was sold to
Spanish Broadcasting System and both companies moved their studios and offices
to New York City and I assume their transmitters were also relocated either to
the Empire State Building and/or to the World Trade Center. What became of the
offices, studios and transmitter towers on Broad Street in Clifton?

The AM Tx is still across the Hudson from Midtown.

Four top-loaded towers in nearly a square ... 90.8 degrees included angle ...
90.2 degrees on the long side ... 89.1 degrees on the short side.

Old June 29th 04, 06:36 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Rich Gilstein wrote:
In 1996 when WPAT-AM was sold to Heftel Broadcasting and WPAT-FM was
sold to Spanish Broadcasting System and both companies moved their
studios and offices to New York City and I assume their transmitters
were also relocated either to the Empire State Building and/or to
the World Trade Center. What became of the offices, studios and
transmitter towers on Broad Street in Clifton?

The WPAT-AM transmitter is still in Clifton. (skyscrapers are not a
suitable site for an AM transmitter, especially a multitower directional
array like WPAT's)

I thought the FM was already on the ESB before it was sold?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old June 29th 04, 08:41 PM
Rich Gilstein

"Doug Smith W9WI" said:
The WPAT-AM transmitter is still in Clifton. (skyscrapers are not a
suitable site for an AM transmitter, especially a multitower
directional array like WPAT's)

So I guess it's safe to assume that if the AM transmitter and towers
are still located in Clifton then the building which originally housed
WPAT's offices and studios is still standing as part of the transmitter
site. I also assume that the current owners of WPAT-AM kept some of the
studio equipment in Clifton in the event of an emergency such as a
blackout in New York City they could switch over the broadcast to the
backup in Clifton? (Am I wrong about this?).

Old June 29th 04, 08:41 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , David Eduardo wrote:

WPAT- AM still broadcasts from Clifton, although the studio location is
unknown to me.

AM 93 WPAT is now owned by Multicultural Broadcasting (also owner of AM
1430 WNSW, AM 1480 WZRC and AM 1380 WKDM). Studios & offices
for that cluster are at #449 Broadway in Manhattan -- in the SoHo
neighborhood (actually near the border between Tribeca district and Soho
district).

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Old June 29th 04, 08:41 PM

PAT's AM studios are the Multicultural Broadcasting Center, 449 Broadway
in Manhattan with NSW-1430, ZRC-1480 and SinoVision TV.

Old June 29th 04, 08:41 PM
Philip de Cadenet

Rich,

Also is their anywhere on the Internet with either downloadable or
streaming airchecks from WPAT?

Here you go:

http://home.att.net/~carla.sanzone/jukebox2.htm
--
Philip de Cadenet
Transmitters 'R' Us

Old June 30th 04, 05:32 AM
Robert Orban

In article ,
says...

"Doug Smith W9WI" said:
The WPAT-AM transmitter is still in Clifton. (skyscrapers are not a
suitable site for an AM transmitter, especially a multitower
directional array like WPAT's)

So I guess it's safe to assume that if the AM transmitter and towers
are still located in Clifton then the building which originally housed
WPAT's offices and studios is still standing as part of the transmitter
site. I also assume that the current owners of WPAT-AM kept some of the
studio equipment in Clifton in the event of an emergency such as a
blackout in New York City they could switch over the broadcast to the
backup in Clifton? (Am I wrong about this?).

I was a summer replacement engineer in 1964 (between my first and second
years in college). At the time, programming originated from the Clifton
site except for the morning show, which was done in Manhattan and
brought to Clifton via equalized phone line.

The programming came from Ampex 351 decks, operated by the talent. To
keep the IBEW union happy, the outputs of the tape decks were mixed to
mic level and this sum was then brought into one input of a Gates
console operated by the engineer, who also operated the switch that
keyed the talent on-air.

The AM transmitter operated from the Clifton site (as now), with the TX
(a huge, ancient Federal 5 KW rig that had a separate vault for the
power supply and modulation transformer) being in the same room as said
Gates console. There was a Gates backup AM TX as well.

The FM ordinarily ran from the Empire State Building, but there was an
FM backup transmitter in Clifton, with the antenna mounted on one of the
AM towers.

In 1964, WPAT's business offices were already in Manhattan.

As an amusing aside, one of the essential engineering tools was a broom
handle. Held by the engineer, who balanced it on the console meter
bridge he used it to push the button that switched the DA from day to
night pattern while he stood by the Federal and hit the breaker that
turned the plates on and off.

Processing of the AM was via an old GE RF-mode limiter -- the audio was
modulated to RF, gain-controlled, and then demodulated. This prevented
thumps, which were typical of the vacuum tube technology of the time.
During that summer, the station added a vacuum tube Audimax I to the
chain ahead of the limiter.

Bob Orban

Old June 30th 04, 05:11 PM
Mick Jurgensen

I found this on the Yahoo groups. It looks like the site was only
started sometime tonight. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wpat/

Mick

Yagi / Beam antenna theory question... Nick C Antenna 12 October 5th 03 12:15 PM
2-440 on AM/FM antenna question DeG Antenna 0 September 26th 03 04:42 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
AM/FM Reception on a new RCA/Radio Shack All In One unit DVD/CD,Cable,Aux Inputs etc. Rev Tom Cox Antenna 7 July 23rd 03 09:54 PM