Old October 14th 04, 04:22 AM
Ryan Underwood

Default Antex & PLX cards

I have a client who is running a FM station. He is looking to upgrade his
main computer. It is running an older version of the BSI WaveStation
software. It has all the normal PC stuff, with the addition of an Antex
SX-36 audio card, and a PLX PCI-9050 card.

The Antex card is ISA, which would be tough to put in a newer computer
since they don't come with ISA slots anymore. Does anyone know of a
functional equivalent to this card but PCI instead? I'm not familiar with
the connector it uses. It looks like a DB-9 with various wires connected
directly to their mixing board.

I can't find any information about the PLX board at all. I don't know
what it's used for, and neither do they. It has what appears to be a very
wide D connector on the back (don't recall the pin count), but nothing was
connected to it. Is it safe to omit this board in the upgrade?

Thanks for any help!

Old October 15th 04, 02:32 AM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Ryan Underwood wrote:
I have a client who is running a FM station. He is looking to upgrade his
main computer. It is running an older version of the BSI WaveStation
software. It has all the normal PC stuff, with the addition of an Antex
SX-36 audio card, and a PLX PCI-9050 card.

The Antex card is ISA, which would be tough to put in a newer computer
since they don't come with ISA slots anymore. Does anyone know of a
functional equivalent to this card but PCI instead? I'm not familiar with
the connector it uses. It looks like a DB-9 with various wires connected
directly to their mixing board.

You may wish to check out http://www.airwaves.com/archive3/v9_%2035.html
for some earlier discussion on using other sound cards with WaveSttion.
It may be a matter of calling the BSI folks and seeing if there is anything
modern that is supported, or it may be a matter of trying cards until you
find one that works.

The Antex is just a 16-bit stereo soundcard, nothing too fancy.

I can't find any information about the PLX board at all. I don't know
what it's used for, and neither do they. It has what appears to be a very
wide D connector on the back (don't recall the pin count), but nothing was
connected to it. Is it safe to omit this board in the upgrade?

It's a dual parallel port. The PCI-9050 is actually the chipset, so there
is probably some other manufacturer's information on the card.
--scott

Old October 16th 04, 07:37 AM
Ron

Ryan Underwood wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi The Antex SX-36 Card is a 16 Bit Audio card that featured a
Hardware Audio Decoder and Dual Stereo Outputs. At the time processor
speeds were too slow to decode audio streams so a dedicated DSP on the
audio board handled that.
The modern replacement is an Antex LX-24M. (
http://www.antex.com/products/prof_audio_broadcast.html )
Other Brands are available too probably for less money, I recently
used one with software similar to WaveStation from ECHO I picked up at
the local Guitar Center Music store.

PLX PCI-9050 is a Chip set used on a Bard, My guess having worked with
BSI systems is what you have is a Parallel I/O card used to trigger
the Software. It is nothing like a Parallel Printer Port. If it
was being used it would be connected to a Satellite receiver to
trigger Stop sets and Liners or to switches on the Console for the
same purpose. These types of boards are common to Industrial,
Laboratory Automation systems.

If they are still going to use the BSI WaveStation I suggest
contacting BSI for suggestions about what they are using today.

Ron

Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #682 Tedd Mirgliotta Dx 2 October 25th 04 04:04 AM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #682 Tedd Mirgliotta Dx 0 October 24th 04 09:22 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #682 Tedd Mirgliotta General 0 October 24th 04 09:22 PM
To ALL DX! Me Dx 16 April 1st 04 06:52 AM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro Screwing NON ARRL members! NIW Policy 0 March 23rd 04 10:29 PM