Old October 21st 04, 03:34 AM
Bob Haberkost

Default Sinclair Broadcasting's misuse of the public trust

I won't go into rehashing the controversy revolving around this issue....if you don't
know about it, you've been under a rock. But...

Heard on CBC (CBC's The Current, which was simulcast on the 275 or so Pacifica
stations as part of a joint effort with Democracy Now.org) on 15 October
(http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2004/200410/20041015.html).

Cliff Kincaid (Accuracy in the Media) claims that a Kerry campaign spokesman warned
that "they'd better hope that we don't win." It's interesting to note that most
every reference to this quote comes from right-wing nutjob websites, who obviously
feel that free speech includes the right to use irresponsible, biased and sometimes
slanderous speech, and that Sinclair, in the execution of its First Amendment right,
can violate federal election law by promoting a candidate on their stations.

Well, we'll see. This may just be the straw that broke the camel's back, and if
Kerry wins, these folks may find a new, and more all-encompassing, Fairness Doctrine
returned to broadcasting. You right-wingers may have just gotten exactly the thing
you can't stand, as a result of your encouragement of irresponsible use of the public
trust to validate only those concepts you already believe. Shame, really. Blame
Hyman. Now you may end up having to hear the other side of the story more often.
Not that that's a restriction in your freedom of speech, and therefore NOT
censorship. Censorship is a limit on what can be said. A re-imposed Fairness
Doctrine would only mandate what must be said as well. Think about what you might
learn about, now!

(And we've already handled that broadcasting does not have full First Amendment
protections. So don't bother.)
If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Prime Minister of Canada - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old October 22nd 04, 05:26 AM
Bill Blomgren

On 21 Oct 2004 02:34:48 GMT, "Bob Haberkost"
wrote:

Cliff Kincaid (Accuracy in the Media) claims that a Kerry campaign spokesman warned
that "they'd better hope that we don't win." It's interesting to note that most
every reference to this quote comes from right-wing nutjob websites, who obviously
feel that free speech includes the right to use irresponsible, biased and sometimes
slanderous speech, and that Sinclair, in the execution of its First Amendment right,
can violate federal election law by promoting a candidate on their stations.

I have to ask, but if the show has Viet vets that were in the Hanoi Hilton
talking about what happened after Kerry's testimony, and then Kerry
testifying... how can that be irresponsible? Biased? Yep.

However, if ABC and the rest of the "established" media decided to dig up
someone to do the same thing about Bush's Air National Guard training, would
you feel that is out of line? I suspect not.

After the nice ABC memo indicating that the on-air crew should harp on Bush
errors, and promote Kerry, I can't see how you can consider them unbiased.

Old October 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
Hu

This will be violate the FCC license of broadcasting. Sinclair's
broadcasting license should be terminated by law.

"Bob Haberkost" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old October 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
Gary Schnabl

Sounds to me but another idle radiclib threat. Pacifica, really! LOL

BTW, can't you pick up any real stations in Canada?

Gary Schnabl
(Southwest) Detroit - 2 miles NORTH! of Canada - Windsor, that is...

Old October 26th 04, 05:13 AM
Bob Haberkost

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message

with Chinese demand for Oil and opec's interest in keeping it as high as
possible. You will never see oil below $30/bbl again.

I never said that oil would be $30/bbl. If you do the math (something which seems to
be foreign for those with your political bent) you'd see that I was predicting that
oil would return to a more manageable, albeit more espensive, $40/bbl.

If Kerry wins we will be back to Jimmy Carter Style Economy, Oh those were
the days, Low Inflation and Interest rates that everyone loved...

At least we were paying for the economic sins being committed then. We were paying
our bills, and giving the rest of the world a reason to hold on to dollars. And even
then, Carter's deficit was 1/10th what Bush's is now. How long do you think it'll be
before the investors in our dollar (China and Japan, mostly) will seek better returns
and a greater likelihood of retaining the value of their investment elsewhere? If
interest rates don't rise soon, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Old October 26th 04, 05:14 AM
Fuller Wrath

:
: If Kerry wins we will be back to Jimmy Carter Style Economy, Oh those
were
: the days, Low Inflation and Interest rates that everyone loved...
:
: Korbin.

Yes. I am voting for Bush. I love how he's made us safe. I love the strong,
full employment, high wage economy. I love the massive deficit, the rape of
the environment and the push for a return of Jim Crowe. I love the fact
that Americans are reviled around the world and the safest way to travel is
to self-identify as Canadian. I love leaders who lie as often as they
breathe. God love baby Bush!

Old November 15th 04, 03:50 AM
Korbin Dallas

CBC and Pacifica are far from Unbiased News sources.
They are as left biased as CBN is to the Right.

Sinclair is doing nothing worse then the hatchet job CBS tried to do with
the False Documents or the continual biased news coverage of ABC and NBC.

Old November 15th 04, 04:10 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message
CBC and Pacifica are far from Unbiased News sources.
They are as left biased as CBN is to the Right.

Sinclair is doing nothing worse then the hatchet job CBS tried to do with
the False Documents or the continual biased news coverage of ABC and NBC.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....spoken as yet another voice, so convinced of their correctness
that there's no need to hear the whole story.