Old November 21st 04, 08:08 PM
Mike Terry

Default Has shortwave got a future?

Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in favour
of internet and satellite?

Things could be getting exciting for dxers.

What do you think?

73s

Mike

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
David

I fully agree.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Blue Cat

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in favour
of internet and satellite?

Things could be getting exciting for dxers.

What do you think?

73s

Mike

The future of shortwave will be spotty. Broadcasts to developed countries in
North America, Europe, and Japan/South Korea will be a thing of the past
because of satellite media. Some shortwave receivers are cheap, compared
with satellite receivers, and will be still be used in the third world. As
long as governments and religious groups want to convey their messages to
these people, shortwave will still exist. For North Americans, the dx
possibilities will be amazing. With high powered stations beamed away, it
will be easier to get unusual broadcasts.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Steve

"Mike Terry" wrote in message ...
Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in favour
of internet and satellite?

Things could be getting exciting for dxers.

What do you think?

73s

Mike

I think this could happen, though I suspect that when a certain
'critical mass' of major broadcasters leave shortwave, the resulting
vacuum will draw in others or perhaps convince some, who earlier shut
down, to start up again. But whatever happens, I think there'll always
plenty of interest to listen to on shortwave....unless broadband over
powerlines completely destroys everything.

Steve

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
m II

Mike Terry wrote:

Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in favour
of internet and satellite?

The possibility of having to learn another language is very real. I
see radio being used to cover large areas which are not profitable to
wire for cable and phone. Many parts of South America, The Middle East
and Asia come to mind. There are many more sub locales, I'm sure.

The use of the major European languages will continue to decline,
Spanish excluded.

mike

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Korbin Dallas

You can forger SW once the BPL Systems are up and delivering a 4 th
Broadband connection to Urban homes.

Korbin

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Art Clemons

Mike Terry wrote:

Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in
favour of internet and satellite?

Things could be getting exciting for dxers.

I suggest that without the big name broadcasters to draw folks to
broadcasting, there will be lesser listenership and less reason for dx
stations to remain on the air. Broadcasting is expensive as all
getout, especially for poor countries. The justification for reaching
listeners outside said poor country is slowly fading away and with the
internet, cd distribution and the like, the need to listen to shortwave
for music and entertainment is slowly fading away too.

I'ld love to see SW broadcasting remain, I'm not always near an internet
connection and all too many of the SW broadcasters I used to regularly
listen to, now have skimpy or no signals with me using better receivers
than I even dreamed about when I first started listening years ago. I
just don't see it continuing for long.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Mark

Interesting question. Suppose with some of the bigger powerful stations out
of the way, we might hear some of the quieter ones that we never could
before!

That would be something good coming out of something bad!

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:32 PM
Al Patrick

I think you might be right -- provided someone doesn't create a lot of
static for the SW spectrum. This is what some predict concerning
broadcasting over the power lines, whatever that is called. (Man, the
"senior moments" are something! ;-) )

Old November 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
Frank Dresser

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
Will dx become more interesting as the power blasters close down in favour
of internet and satellite?

Things could be getting exciting for dxers.

What do you think?

73s

Mike

The evangelists will be on shortwave as long as they think there are a few
people out there listening to SW radio. As government and commercial
concerns lose interest in SW, it's conceivable that others will fill the
vacuum with inexpensive pirate operations based on ham radio gear.

Frank Dresser