Old February 10th 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] Fiftieth Anniversary Listen: WRIF Detroit, KISW Seattle

RadioInsight

Fiftieth Anniversary Listen: WRIF Detroit, KISW Seattle

https://radioinsight.com/ross/204854...-kisw-seattle/

Not that long ago, Active Rock radio was multiply challenged — by a lack of
current product and by current rock music’s diminished prominence in the
firmament. There were also new challengers who tried to get around that by
just playing a harder, newer version of Classic Rock that included grunge
and the early ‘00s.

Entercom’s KISW Seattle pushed through that period through its emphasis on
personality — morning team B.J. & Migs and now-syndicated afternoon show
The Mens Room. Beasley’s WRIF Detroit was certainly helped by morning team
Chuck & Dave the Freak, but also did the best of many major-market outlets
in exposing recent Active Rock chart acts.

On Saturday, both KISW and WRIF celebrate their 50th anniversaries. KISW
will focus its celebration on Friday’s programming. WRIF has an entire
special weekend. Both have been leading up to the weekend with artist
tributes, vintage audio, and the like. Listening this week has been an
enjoyable reminder both of Album Rock radio’s power in the ‘70s but also of
its renewed currency over the last year, when men have controlled more of
the available radio listening.

As a college freshman in 1979, I experienced WRIF in a peak year. Among my
student broadcaster friends, the proudest moment was meeting the station’s
JJ & the Morning Crew in public; as often, they were walking around doing
George Baier’s character voices themselves. WRIF was always a little more
eclectic than one would expect in 1979. The two songs I most associate with
the station that fall are “Powderfinger” by Neil Young and “I Fought the
Law” by the Clash. The next year, the more corporate-rock-driven WLLZ came
to town and rock radio was disrupted for a while.

Active Rock remains a few different formats now. Some of the format’s
recent successes, including WMMR Philadelphia and WIYY (98 Rock) Baltimore,
sound more like the Heritage Rock outlets of the early ‘90s.* KISW was
library-driven in middays — its only music-intensive daytime shift — when I
listened. WRIF has emphasized the today half of its yesterday-and-today
more than most. When WRIF does “Two-for-Tuesday,” the blocs include AC/DC,
Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, and Rage Against the Machine, but also Halestorm,
Pop Evil, and Corey Taylor (both of them solo, neither from Stone Sour or
Slipknot).

My “Fresh Listen” to WRIF was with p.m. driver Meltdown, who, even when I’m
not listening, is one of rock radio’s most active social media presences.
His daily “Fourplay” 4 p.m. feature this week was devoted to one of the
station’s decades for each day. Monday, when I listened, was devoted to
Detroit artists from the ‘70s. “I can’t think of Detroit without thinking
about the RIF,” said an artist drop from Alice Cooper when his song played.
“The home of rock and roll in Detroit Rock City,” said the :00 ID.

Here’s WRIF at 3 p.m. on February 8:

Rob Zombie, “Living Dead Girl”
Motley Crue, “Wild Side”
Green Day, “Longview”
Stone Temple Pilots, “Dead & Bloated”
Royal Blood, “Trouble’s Coming”
Sublime, “What I Got”
Guns N’ Roses, “Live and Let Die”
Nine Inch Nails, “The Hand That Feeds”
Breaking Benjamin, “So Cold”
Puddle Of Mudd, “Control”
Pretty Reckless, “Death by Rock and Roll”
Offspring, “Come Out and Play”
Ted Nugent, “Free-for-All”
Bob Seger, “Turn the Page (Live)”
J. Geils Band, “Detroit Breakdown (Live)”
Alice Cooper, “Be My Lover”

I heard KISW with APD/MD Ryan Castle and again that afternoon with the Mens
Room. Castle played Jane’s Addiction and recalled the station’s Rising Star
Concert Series at the Paramount Theater in 1989 when that band played with
Mother Love Bone and Soundgarden. “Were you there?” he asked. A sweeper
promised that the anniversary broadcast would contain similar “juicy
stories, cloudy memories, and dancing.”

The Mens Room topic was “embarrassing things you’ve had to tell the
doctor,” with plenty of Miles Montgomery and Steve Hill’s own stories,
listeners’ freak accidents, the friend who had a heart attack at a young
age and had to (honestly) deny having a cocaine addiction every time a
doctor came by, and what dental hygienists know about your personal life.
The show plays two songs an hour; listeners call in to dedicate character
voice bits to loved ones.*

Here’s KISW just before 11 a.m., February 9 with APD/MD Ryan Castle:

Muse, “Uprising”
Everlast, “What It’s Like”
Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away”
Jane’s Addiction, “Jane Says”
Greta Van Fleet, “Safari Song”
Bon Jovi, “Livin’ on a Prayer”
Nirvana, “Polly”
Queen, “Another One Bites the Dust”
Linkin Park, “In the End”
Offspring, “The Kids Aren’t Alright”
Pink Floyd, “Speak to Me/Breathe”
Alice In Chains, “It Ain’t Like That” (the lead-off song in “The Hook Up,”
the Noon feature where each song starts with the last letter of the
previous title)
System of a Down, “Toxicity”

There’s more info about KISW’s anniversary here. See the WRIF info here.

104.7 To Drop In Denver

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...rop-in-denver/

Rocky Mountain Public Media will launch Indie Hip Hop 104.7 The Drop on
K284CI Denver on Monday, February 15.

The launch brings the programming that launched on 89.3 KUVO-HD2 in June
2019 to analog listeners across the city. RMPM acquired K284CI from 4-Ks
LLLP in October 2020 for $680,000.

Branded as The Peoples Station, KUVO-HD2 launched as one of four stations
to receive Corporation For Public Broadcasting grants for the development
of Urban Alternative programming featuring a mix of Hip Hop, RB, Urban,
Soul, Rap and local music along with stations in Chicago, Houston and
Norfolk. The 250 watt translator covers all of Denver and its surrounding
suburbs and due to its transmitter location on Lookout Mountain
overperforms its contours throughout much of Aurora as well.

Until the end of 2020, K284CI served as the FM signal for “Mile High Sports
Radio” rebroadcasting 1340 KDCO Denver under LMA to Nate Lundy’s Flying
Penguin Productions.

RB and Hip-Hop station THE DROP begins broadcasting on its brand-new dial
position, 104.7 FM, on February, 15 2021.

Now Coloradans searching for old school crate classics, new vibe music and
Colorado’s hottest independent artists can tune their radios to 104.7 FM
from their homes, cars and smart devices.

Complementing THE DROP’s existing HD2 live stream and THE DROP APP, this
additional high-fidelity form of access provided by the permanent 104.7 FM
radio position further affirms the station’s mission to increase grassroots
engagement that resonates with communities often underserved by traditional
media outlets.

With its distinctive and unique sound, 104.7 THE DROP continues to build a
commercial free media movement that reflects the tastes of a young,
multicultural audience across the Centennial state. THE DROP debuted in
June 2019 as one of the country’s first public media urban alternative
radio stations with a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
(CPB).

Already garnering accolades such as Westword magazine’s “Best New Radio
Station of 2020”, the community continues to show support and appreciation
for THE DROP 104.7’s organic and relaxed nature. Suggestions, taken
directly from listeners via social media and the station text line at
303.893.DROP, frame the music mix and content of the shows hosted by DJ
Dif’Rent, Amerykah Jones, Unique, DJ Bella Scratch, Maleman and weekend
hosts, DJ Cavem and PK.

Nikki Swarn, THE DROP’s general manager and program director, says, “This
station has always been about the people. From our name to how we engage
with our listeners, it’s all about our Colorado community. Without this
local support our 104.7 FM signal wouldn’t be as impactful. This is such a
special time for public media especially here in Colorado. We owe a huge
thanks to our community, our listeners and our partners for helping make
this possible.”

THE DROP also continues to play a pivotal role in Rocky Mountain Public
Media’s commitment to expand and extend the relevance of public media to
new and more diverse communities across Colorado.

“104.7 THE DROP is so much more than a radio station,” Swarn continued, “We
are truly a lifestyle brand. The station provides a place in the media
landscape for a variety of musical genres and reinforces a sense of
community for a diverse listenership. Listeners can DROP into the music,
cultural issues and community resources in one place. It’s a movement built
by and for the people of Colorado.”

“We are thrilled to make an investment in acquiring the 104.7 FM radio home
for THE DROP,” said Amanda Mountain, president and CEO of Rocky Mountain
Public Media. “The format of this radio station plays a critical role in
shaping the public media of the future and in creating a Colorado where
everyone is seen and heard.” Local funding partners for the purchase of the
FM translator include the Gates Family Foundation, Bonfils-Stanton
Foundation, and a single anonymous donor, whose support created an
opportunity for the station to expand its footprint beyond a digital signal
alone. “We could not be happier to support Nikki and her team, and Rocky
Mountain Public Media in expanding the reach of THE DROP,” said Thomas
Gougeon, Gates Family Foundation president. “We see so much potential for
104.7 THE DROP, not only as a source for great and relevant music, but also
a vehicle with unlimited potential to raise up local artists, local voices,
and to reach deeper and engage the local community in the issues of our
times.”

“At the Bonfils-Stanton Foundation we felt this was an exciting opportunity
to help support the effort to provide THE DROP with a 104.7 FM signal,
allowing it to reach an exponentially greater audience,” said Gary Steuer,
Bonfils-Stanton Foundation president and CEO.

For more information about THE DROP 104.7 FM and THE DROP app, please visit
THE DROP website or on all things social @thedrop303.

Remembering The Early Days Of KTU

https://radioinsight.com/ross/204635...y-days-of-ktu/

WKTU New York has the distinction of being one of the industry’s great
format launches twice. The original “Disco 92” galvanized the industry in
summer 1978, setting off a chain reaction that led to the loss of AM
powerhouse WABC’s Top 40 format and an early ‘80s format doldrums. The
second ‘KTU, launched by Evergreen Media on Feb. 10, 1996, helped lift CHR
out of another downturn, one from which many industry people didn’t expect
it to recover.*

This is a very partial oral history of the station’s early days as recalled
both by some of those involved with the format launch and other industry
people inspired by it. The article began with a conversation with veteran
programmer Guy Zapoleon and grew to include comments from readers and
social media friends. While this article covers only a smattering of those
involved with the KTU at its launch or over its 25-year history, there are
still plenty of stories that convey the excitement of the station’s early
days, which Ross On Radio readers and Facebook friends had plenty of. No
sins of omission are intended. You’re encouraged to either leave a comment
or send a reminiscence to be added in coming weeks.*

WKTU was extensively researched at the outset — format studies from both
Kurt Hanson and Strategic Research, as well as a music test with Broadcast
Architecture, all of whom get a shout-out during the first hour of the
station launch. But there wasn’t complete consensus about the direction at
first.

“Steve Rivers and I put [a similar Rhythmic AC] format on WYXR [Star 104.5]
Philadelphia for Pyramid in 1995 * Evergreen’s Scott Ginsburg wasn’t a fan
of KTU’s original plan, but Jimmy DeCastro was by that time I had to call
Scott and tell him his desire to make WKTU a ‘70s station, which had early
success as a format, was a mistake, and there was no guarantee it was a
long-term format anyway.” – Guy Zapoleon

“The pre-launch meeting at the Rhiga Royal was a summit of superstar
programmers. I’m not putting myself in that pantheon, but the other
attendees [included] Keith Naftaly, Hosh Gureli, Steve Rivers, and Guy
Zapoleon . .. it was a legendary advisory committee. I pushed Frankie Blue,
my assistant at the old ‘KTU, for the PD slot, and he was the first PD of
the ‘new’ ‘KTU.” – Michael Ellis.*Blue came from The Box, as did APD/MD and
eventual PD Jeff Zuchowski.

“Naming the station WKTU was from two of the guests at the big 1995 round
table — Michael Ellis, who had been the first KTU’s MD, and Keith Naftaly,
who had worked with DeCastro at KMEL. That round table at the Righa Royal
was an amazing event for so many reasons.” – Guy Zapoleon

Zapoleon also recalls a moment when the late Steve Rivers, already a major
programmer, who had been part of the Pyramid braintrust, finally clicked
with new boss Ginsburg. “I said to Keith, ‘Tell me who taught you
everything you know about programming. He said, ‘That man right there,
Steve Rivers, he’s a genius.” After a few months, Jimmy and Scott made him
VP of programming.

“One of the greatest four-month [periods] of my career was spent in New
York assisting with the launch of WKTU. I remember when Steve Rivers asked
me to come down to help [with music]; he said he just needed me for a few
days.” – Veteran PD/group PD David Corey, then APD/MD Kiss 108 Boston

“I was running the board for the launch and the first hour. There was a
giant lane left open for ‘KTU, as Z100 was Alternative, Hot 97 was Hip-Hop,
and ‘PLJ wasn’t touching anything rhythmic. It was pretty shocking that pop
rhythm had no home in New York. We had virtually no overlap with any
competitors for the first six months.” – Bill Schultz, Executive VP/Content
Development Cadence 13, then WKTU’s Creative Services Director

“KHMX [Mix 96.5] Houston had been using ‘picks you up and makes you feel
good.’ [‘KTU’s emphasis on] ‘feel good’ came about [because] every station
in New York [was] angry, even Z100 [was] a dark, rock-leaning
Alternative-leaning Top 40. There [was] really no station that [made] you
feel good.” – Guy Zapoleon

“I remember attending the press conference announcing the station launch. I
remember feeling very excited that dance music would once again have a home
on New York radio. Growing up in Boston, I always looked to New York radio
as one of my sources for the newest club and dance music, so I was happy to
have it back. I also remember at the press conference there was discussion
about radio deregulation and how great the changes would be for the
industry. I leave it to each individual to make their own judgment [about
that], but in my mind that change will always be entwined with the launch
of ‘KTU.” – Jerry McKenna, PD WSTR (Star 94) Atlanta

(Indeed, it was impossible to look back at the trade stories without seeing
as many stories about the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the driver of
industry deregulation that passed on February 8, 1996, two days before
KTU’s launch.)

“103.5 KTU was actually the third format flip in New York radio in early
’96, behind 92.3 [WXRK] becoming Alternative and [AC] WPAT becoming
Spanish, both of those happening in January.” – Ted Linder, WBAB Long
Island, N.Y.

“I remember being at the Gavin Convention and some people were changing
their flights to leave early and fly back to New York to listen to ‘KTU. At
the time, I didn’t know that Z100 would be next for me in April ’96.” –
Paul “Cubby” Bryant, morning host WLTW (Lite FM) New York

“I remember dragging my family around a terminal at Newark Airport while on
a layover so I could find the best position to hear ‘KTU on my Walkman. I
was mostly eager to hear their [Reel World] jingles, but of course the
whole station sounded amazing that summer.” – Chris Reed, self-described
“teenage radio nerd turned IP/media lawyer.” Reed also recalls driving with
current “Loud Radio” stations owner Pat Grooves to find a hill in Easton,
Pa., where ‘KTU came in from New York, 80 miles away.

“When ‘KTU launched in ’96, it was electric. Everywhere you went throughout
[the New York metro], you heard 103.5 KTU — shops, taxicabs, etc. There was
real excitement in the air … ‘KTU was also successful because it did not
follow the national picture like we have so much today in radio. They knew
the history of the market, the New York club scene, and the people who live
there, and they put it all on the air. If we could only do that today, we’d
be unstoppable.” – Jason Kidd, president VirtualJock.com, then nights at
the ‘KTU-inspired WXYV Baltimore

“I moved to New York in November ’95 and got to experience the launch of
‘KTU in 1996. At the time, I was working for Tommy Boy Records, so Amber’s
‘This Is Your Night’ was my first project that I was able to hear on ‘KTU.
I owe so much to ‘KTU for helping my career. It was where Frankie Blue and
Jeff Z changed my name to the Riddler when I became one of their
mixmasters. My life would change because of working with radio legends.” –
Rich “Riddler” Pangilinan

“‘Broadway’ Bill Lee on ‘KTU was fantastic. He’s still killing it at
WCBS-FM, but something about him and ‘KTU just went together.” – Brandon
Charles

“It was kinda weird hearing the ‘KTU calls again after growing up with the
original at 92.3. You could hear the energy of the original Hot 103, and
then it made sense. You weren’t going to hear [some of the New York disco
identified with the original ‘KTU] per se, but it captured a newer
dance-music crowd, and that was appreciated.” – K.J. Johnson, sports-talk
host WEEI Boston.*

(WKTU featured a lot of 70s discos biggest crossovers, and even an
occasional deeper title like Jackie Moores This Time Baby, but there were a
lot of songs from the disco era left behind. Later, WNEW-FM would spend
several years in a dance classics format, drawing more on those songs, as
Mix 102.7.)

KTU influenced many flips to Top 40 in 1996-97. When we flipped WDDJ from
97FM to Electric 96.9 in 1997, our first playlist included many of those
Eurodance records. Most of them had never been played in the market. It was
a great era for the format. –*Mark Summer, PD WDDJ Paducah, Ky.

“It was always the plan to swing back to Top 40 if and when the music
warranted it. But we were so upbeat and dance-oriented, plus our ‘feel
good’ positioning made it very difficult to swing back, so there was still
a place for Z100 to eventually return to the Top 40 position.” – Guy
Zapoleon

I was working alone late in the office late on Monday night and [then MD]
Geronimo called and said, Im just calling because Im gonna play your
record. It was Castles in the Sky by Ian Van Dahl. Nobody had wanted to
release that record in America for months. When it became a hit in New
York, people were asking how did you get it?' –*Cory Robbins, Robbins
Entertainment

“My first time driving to the city was as we were crossing the
Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge … ‘Castles in the Sky’ by Ian Van Dahl was
playing on ‘KTU when I saw the skyline for the first time.” – Jet Black

It was my dream to work at WKTU . . .* Im so glad I got to work there for
four years as the voice of the station and creative director . . . We were
truly a New York City radio station. You could not drop us in Anywhere
U.S.A., which doesnt happen today. –*Harry Legg

“I still can’t believe I worked there.” – Ralphie Marino, New York/Boston
radio veteran.

Deb O'Keefe Departs Mornings At 101X Austin

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...t-101x-austin/

Waterloo Media Alternative 101X 101.5 KROX-FM Buda/Austin TX has rebranded
its Jason Deb morning show as Jason Dick Friends following the departure
of Deb OKeefe.

The duo had hosted mornings at KROX-FM since 2006. The British native
OKeefe began her radio career after winning a contest to join the JB Sandy
Show on Mix 94.7 KAMX Austin.

In an Instagram post announcing her departure, OKeefe stated she was fired
over a petty dispute with Waterloo Media owner Bob Sinclair. She writes,
Our owner has extreme dislike for me, and used a petty reason to get rid of
me. Frankly, I hate the man and have done ever since I first met him, with
my sweet Blueboy in tow, when he yelled out ‘ooh, where’s Michael Vick?’ He
is a petty, Trump loving moron, who has decimated our staff and affected
our company moral horribly since he took over, and who has more money than
sense.

OKeefe continued to note than Jason and Producer Nick were not to be
allowed to address her absence and thanking them and KROX-FM Program
Director Lynn Barstow asking followers to continue to listen and support
the station.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Deb OKeefe (@debokeefe)

Michelle Stevens To Program WLYF/WMXJ Miami

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...yf-wmxj-miami/

Entercom has promoted Michelle Stevens to Brand Manager of AC 101.5 Lite-FM
WLYF and Classic Hits 102.7 The Beach WMXJ Miami.

Stevens joins the Miami stations from Entercom New York where she has been
APD of 101.1 WCBS-FM and 102.7 WNEW since May 2019. Stevens previously held
corporate programming positions at Nassau Broadcasting and Connoisseur
Media. She spent 25 years with Nassau moving up to PD of CHR 97.5 WPST
Trenton NJ to VP/Programming to EVP/Programming. Following the companys
breakup in bankruptcy she followed the Trenton and Allentown PA stations to
Connoisseur where she was Director of Brand Management until her position
was eliminated in March 2019.

Entercom Miami has promoted Michelle Stevens as new Brand Manager of 101.5
LITE FM (WLYF-FM) and 102.7 The Beach (WMXJ-FM). Stevens most recently
served as Assistant Brand Manager of New York sister stations WCBS-FM 101.1
(WCBS-FM) and New 102.7 FM (WNEW-FM).

“I’m thrilled to promote an internal candidate and welcome Michelle to our
team,” said Claudia Menegus, Senior Vice President and Market Manager,
Entercom Miami. “She has great strength and experience in working with
top-rated brands and talent development. I look forward to the exciting
impact she will have on our team and our brands.

“My sincere appreciation to Claudia Menegus, Pat Paxton, Jeff Sottolano,
Jim Ryan, Chris Ebbott, and Andy Holt,” said Stevens. “Im excited to join
these special brands and our tremendous Miami team.”

Stevens is a brand strategist known for her expertise in programming,
marketing, and talent development. Her extensive programming and brand
management experience spans 30 years in nearly every format and all market
sizes. Prior to joining Entercom, she was the Director of Brand Management
for Connoisseur Medias 37 radio stations and digital assets. Prior to that,
she was Executive Vice President of Programming for Nassau Broadcasting,
where she oversaw all aspects of programming and digital content, strategy,
marketing, and brand management for 75 stations. She has launched and built
numerous stations from conception, developing them into top rated brands
with sustained market leadership and brand equity. Stevens has served on
the Board of Directors for Nassau Broadcasting as well as Chair of the NJBA
Convention Committee and NAB Programming Subcommittees and has received
various industry awards including Program Director of the Year by
Billboard, Gavin and FMQB.

Entercom Partnership To Bring Locked On Podcasts To Radio

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...asts-to-radio/

Entercom has announced a content partnership with TEGNAs Locked On Podcast
Network to create content for Radio.com and Entercoms Sports radio stations.

The companies will develop co-branded podcasts including a daily sports
news podcast featuring hosts from Entercom sports stations and local
experts from Locked Ons network of podcasts about local professional and
college teams and two one hour weekly radio shows produced by Locked On
will be heard on Entercom stations and the streaming platform.

The first show in the partnership will be Locked On Today, a daily podcast
hosted by Peter Bukowski (host of Locked On Packers), that will focus on
the top stories of the day.

Entercom (NYSE: ETM), a leading media and entertainment company, the
unrivaled leader in local sports radio and the home of RADIO.COM, today
announced a content agreement with Locked On Podcast Network, the No. 1
daily local sports podcast network that was recently acquired by TEGNA,
Inc. (NYSE: TGNA), a leading local media company.

Today’s announcement marks Entercom’s fourth recent agreement to leverage
its dominance in sports audio, including: a marketing alliance with
FanDuel, the leading online sports and entertainment company, which is now
the official sportsbook partner of Entercom; the Company’s acquisition of
sports data and iGaming affiliate platform QL Gaming Group; and, the recent
announcement of the launch of the BetQL Audio Network, which features
sports betting programming across Entercom’s extensive portfolio of leading
sports stations.

“We’re aggressively leveraging the value of our national dominance in
sports programming and content in audio, digital and sports betting
platforms and our agreement with Locked On reflects continued progress on
this front. As the No. 1 creator of live, original local audio content,
we’re excited to add Locked On’s collection of top-rated podcasts to our
portfolio, welcome their eight million monthly listeners nationwide to the
RADIO.COM platform and make their inventory available to our advertising
partners,” said J.D. Crowley, Chief Digital Officer, Entercom. “We’re
dedicated to delivering cutting edge sports content to our audience –
whichever their favorite team may be – and look forward to partnering with
the great team at Locked On.”

“Partnering with Entercom and their industry-leading sports radio lineup is
a monumental step in the evolution of our network,” said David Locke,
President and Founder, Locked On Podcast Network. “Integrating Locked Ons
local experts with the powerful sports personalities of Entercom will lead
to amazing content across the network and for our new daily national sports
podcast. In addition, co-developing numerous shows with RADIO.COM and
being supported by their massive regional and local sales staffs to
monetize our popular local podcasts on their platform make this an
incredible partnership for Locked On. In the simplest terms, we are fired
up to partner with Entercom.”

As part of the partnership, Locked On’s extensive lineup of professional
and collegiate sports podcasts, which feature premier analysis from local
experts, industry-renowned writers, reporters and insiders, will now be
heard on RADIO.COM, the nation’s fastest growing digital audio platform,
and be made available to the platform’s 40 million monthly users.

Additionally, the partnership will develop new content including
co-produced and co-branded podcasts; a daily sports news podcast featuring
hosts from leading RADIO.COM sports stations and local experts from Locked
On; and two weekly one-hour programs, produced by Locked On, available on
Entercom radio stations and RADIO.COM. Entercom will also leverage its
robust portfolio of leading local sports audio brands, which reach nearly
30 million sports fans monthly, to promote the podcasts.

Locked On Today is the first podcast of at least four new series that will
be released in a co-production under the partnership. Hosted daily by Peter
Bukowski (Locked On Packers), Locked On Today is a fast-paced take on the
biggest sports stories of the day. The show will go beyond the scoreboard
and behind the scenes for insight and perspective from the local experts of
the Locked On Podcast Network and Entercom sports radio stations.

Locked On Podcast Network was created in June of 2016 by David Locke, the
radio voice of the Utah Jazz. Originating with a single podcast, Locked On
Jazz, the network now produces more than 160 different podcasts – providing
in-depth coverage of every NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL team plus major college
sports teams. Locked On publishes over 600 podcast episodes every week –
generating more than eight million listens a month and growing.

iHeartMedia Announces New Market President & SVP/Sales In Philadelphia

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-philadelphia/

iHeartMedia has promoted Jeff Moore the Market President and Chris Squire
to SVP/Sales for its Philadelphia properties.

Moore has been with the cluster for the past ten years, previously serving
as Local Sales Manager, General Sales Manager and Regional SVP/Sales.
Squire joined the company in August 2020 as VP/Sales after previously
serving as General Sales Manager for Townsquare Media Trenton NJ, Sales
Manager for Radio One Philadelphia, Local Sales Manager for Emmis New York
and Director of Operations for Inner City Broadcasting. He spent eleven
years as Station Manager for iHearts 1480 WDAS/105.3 WDAS-FM Philadelphia
from 1989-2000.

iHeartMedia Philadelphia announced today that Jeff Moore has been named
Market President and Chris Squire has been elevated to Senior Vice
President of Sales, effective immediately. iHeartMedia Philadelphia has a
strong cross-platform presence and includes a number of iconic brands and
franchises — both broadcast and digital — encompassing six stations
comprised of Hip Hop and RB, CHR, AC, Alt Rock and Sports Talk formats.

As Market President, Moore will work closely with the programming, business
and sales teams and oversee the station’s on-air and digital programming as
well as create new revenue opportunities. He will report to Scott Hopeck,
Division President for iHeartMedia. Moore began his career as the Sales
Manager for iHeartMedia Philadelphia 10 years ago, most recently serving as
the Senior Vice President of Sales. Throughout his time at iHeartMedia, he
has proven himself to be a valuable asset to the team, also serving as
General Sales Manager and Regional Senior Vice President of Sales. He is a
graduate of Temple University.

“I am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead this great team of
successful sales and programming professionals in Philadelphia while
representing some of the most iconic brands,” said Moore. “My mission is to
continue to build a winning culture that attracts the best talent and has a
positive impact on our employees, brands and the community we serve.”

With Moore’s new role as Market President, iHeartMedia Philadelphia also
announced today that Squire has been promoted to Senior Vice President of
Sales. As Senior Vice President of Sales, Squire will be responsible for
overseeing all sales operations for the Philadelphia market that delivers a
strong return on investment for clients reaching consumers through
iHeartMedia’s assets, including on-air, online, social media and live
events. He will report to Moore. Squire previously served as a General
Sales Manager at Townsquare Media in Trenton/Princeton and as a Station
Manager for 105.3 WDAS FM. He is a graduate of Loyola University in Chicago.

“I am honored to have the opportunity to serve as the Senior Vice President
of Sales for iHeartMedia Philadelphia,” said Squire. “To have the chance to
work under a talented and inspiring leader like Jeff as well as a team of
experienced and dedicated managers and account executives is a recipe for
success.”

“I’m thrilled to promote both Jeff and Chris. It’s especially rewarding to
find the best candidates for key leadership roles within your own
division,” said Hopeck. “They’ve collaborated under the most difficult
circumstances in 2020 and clearly demonstrated their creativity and
resilience. I’m confident this duo will continue to lead our Philadelphia
operation to new highs.”