Old February 19th 21, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] WWFX Shifts To Classic Rock; Mike Hsu Moves To Mornings

RadioInsight

WWFX Shifts To Classic Rock; Mike Hsu Moves To Mornings

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...s-to-mornings/

Cumulus Medias 100FM The Pike 100.1 WWFX Southbridge/Worcester MA is
completing its evolution from Classic Hits to Classic Rock with the launch
of a new morning show.

Mike Hsu, who joined WWFX to host a 6-8pm show last August, will take over
mornings on Monday, February 22. That will be one year and one day after
Hsus longtime home 107.3 WAAF began airing EMFs Christian AC K-Love
programming as WKVB. Hsu spent over two decades at WAAF with multiple
stints as part of its morning show, twelve years in middays, and had been
hosting afternoons at the time of the flip.

The Worcester Telegram reports that on Hsus first show he will be joined by
former WAAF coworkers Mistress Carrie, Kevin Barbare, and Bob Zip Bob
Rivers and Peter Zipel, the latter who host weekends and fill-ins at WWFX.

Musically, WWFX has dropped all pop from its playlist and has changed its
positioning to The Pike Rocks. Cumulus Worcester Regional Vice President
Bob Goodell told the Telegram, “What the real definition of WAAF’s music
always was is hard, melodic rock. That’s the stuff that the station had its
best ratings with. If it’s hard rock and you can hum the tune, Metallica,
AC/DC, any of that stuff and some of the more contemporary bands that play
that, we’re playing it now. The Pike used to be a classic hits radio
station, which meant we play classic rock and kind of pop hits. Now, all
the classic hits are gone. We’re pure classic rock, leaning hard and Mike’s
the new morning guy.”

With the move of Hsu, Cruisin Bruce Palmer has exited the station after
over 12 years in mornings.

Nick Cannon Returns To Power 106 After Seven Month Hiatus

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-month-hiatus/

After being off his eponymous Nick Cannon Radio at Meruelo Media Rhythmic
CHR “Power 106” KPWR Los Angeles since his anti-semitic comments last July,
Nick Cannon will return to KPWR on Thursday, February 25.

The return comes with new multi-year contractual renewals between Cannon,
Meruelo Media and syndicator Skyview Networks. Cannon previously resumed
his daily syndicated show with Skyview last September. The return to KPWR
brings Cannon back to all his jobs he lost following the comments
perpetuating anti-Semitism on an episode of his YouTube show in June 2020.
ViacomCBS brought Cannon back to VH1s Wild N Out after cancelling the show
last summer earlier this month. While never let go from Foxs Masked Singer,
Cannon will miss part of the upcoming season filmed while he was battling
COVID-19.

Cannon joined KPWR as morning host in June 2019 and the show was syndicated
by Skyview at the start of 2020. Cannon previously hosted mornings at CBS
Radio’s “92.3 Now” WNOW-FM New York from 2010-2012. At the time his exit
was attributed to the medical issues he had been dealing with including
kidney failure, pulmonary embolism, and lupus. He also hosted a weekend
countdown show for CBS Radio.

Nick Cannon returns to Los Angeles’ iconic hip-hop station Power 106
(KPWR-FM) with a new, locally focused show heard mornings 6am-10am PST.
“Los Angeles, I am back and ready to lift you up in the mornings and bring
joy at the crack of dawn with original comedy and candid conversation!”
said Nick Cannon. “Tough times don’t last, but tough people do – and I am
grateful for my supporters, friends and loved ones who have guided me
through this journey these past few months. We grow through challenges and
lessons together, but emerge better on the other side.”

“Nick Cannon is the consummate entertainer and more demanding on himself
than on anyone else! His newly revamped and creatively turbo-charged local
morning show will bring much needed comedic entertainment to LA mornings
like only Nick can. Reunited with Teddy, Melissa and DJ Carisma, Nick will
deliver a uniquely Los Angeles centric morning show fitting of our iconic
Power 106 flagship!” said Otto Padron, President CEO of Meruelo Media.

The nationally syndicated daily Nick Cannon Radio show features original
comedy, pop culture and unique conversations Nick has with performers, many
of whom are his friends. On weekends, Cannon’s Countdown features music
curated by Nick Cannon to reflect Nick’s top songs from radio and streaming
with his insights on these performers.

“Nick Cannon is a unique influencer who has driven radio ratings success
through his hard work and complete audience focus,” said Steve Jones,
President COO of Skyview Networks. “Nick is familiar to every 18–
49-year-old listener and advertiser in America through his platforms on
social media, TV, movies and music. Urban and rhythmic-CHR radio stations
can have the amazing power of Nick Cannon in their programming and sales
portfolio, giving them a strong, competitive advantage in ratings and
revenue.”

Nick Cannon Radio allows programmers maximum flexibility to showcase their
music inside Nick’s show with customized content that connects Nick with
each local community. Nick Cannon Radio can be programmed in morning,
midday or afternoon drivetime.

“Typically, when radio stations describe working with syndicated talent,
you hear the word partnership,” said Phil Becker, Executive Vice President
of Content, Alpha Media. “In my opinion, that word is overused, yet isnt
descriptive enough to explain all that Nick has done for Alpha Media. He’s
always immediately responsive when we need custom content, client videos,
promotional liners, and contesting elements. Nick even puts our local air
personalities on stage with him during his sold-out Wild N Out tour when he
visits each market. Despite living in Los Angeles, Nick treats his
affiliates like hes just down the hall. I look forward to working with this
N’Credible team more in 2021.” Nick Cannon Radio can be heard on Alpha
Media stations in Portland, Louisville, San Antonio and Amarillo.

Today’s announcement includes multi-year renewals between Nick Cannon and
Skyview Networks and Nick Cannon and Meruelo Media.

Mike Klein Joins Z104.3 Baltimore As Afternoon Host

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...fternoon-host/

iHeartMedia CHR Z104.3 WZFT Baltimore has announced the addition of Mike
Klein as afternoon host.

The move marks a homecoming for the Maryland native, who most recently
served as Operations Manager for SummitMedias cluster in Greenville SC. He
has also programmed Radio Now 100.9 WNOW-FM Indianapolis, Radio Now 98.9
WNRW and Gen X Radio 100.5 WLGX Louisville, Z104 WNVZ Norfolk VA, and Kiss
95.1 WFKS Melbourne FL. Klein has also worked on air at Z100 WHTZ New York,
and Z104 WWZZ and 98.7 WMZQ in Washington DC.

Klein fills the afternoon slot that had been held by Mike McCabe Kerr until
his exit in Novembers iHeartMedia cuts. Kerr has since returned to the
company as*CHR Executive Producer with the National Programming Group.

Z104.3, Baltimore’s #1 Hit Music Station, announced today that Mike Klein
will join the station as an Afternoon Drive On-Air Personality, effective
immediately. Klein will broadcast weekdays from 3 – 7 p.m.

Each weekday afternoon, Klein will broadcast the most popular hits from the
biggest chart-topping artists as well as feature the latest entertainment
news and lifestyle experiences that appeal to Baltimore communities.

Klein returns to iHeartMedia from his position as operations manager at
Summit Media in Greenville, South Carolina. He also brings a wealth of
experience to Z104.3, having served as an on-air host at Hot 99.5 and 98.7
WMZQ in Washington, D.C. from 2015 – 2016 and at Z100 in New York from
2007-2011. In addition, he also worked as program director at WNOW-FM in
Indianapolis, Indiana; WNVZ-FM in Norfolk, Virginia; and Kiss 95.1 in
Melbourne, Florida. He began his career as an afternoon and night host at
WNVZ-FM in Norfolk, Virginia.

“Mike is Maryland through and through having grown up in the Baltimore
area,” said Rob Kruz, Program Director for Z104.3. “His deep passion for
music as well as extensive CHR experience makes Mike the perfect choice to
drive Baltimore home! I’m excited to welcome him to the Z104.3 family.”

“Joining the incredible on-air team at Z104.3, led by ‘Your Morning Show,’
is a dream come true,” said Klein. “I’m so excited to return to Baltimore,
the city where I grew up, and host an afternoon show that combines a
passion for pop music with a focus on the Baltimore lifestyle.”

Derrick Martin Returns To iHeartMedia Norfolk As Market President

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...ket-president/

Former iHeartMedia St. Louis Region President Derrick Marting has quickly
returned to the company as Market President for the companys Norfolk VA
cluster.

Martin returns to Norfolk after previously leading the cluster from 2013
until his move to St. Louis in 2017. In St. Louis he also oversaw the
Springfield MO and Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Quad Cities IA markets for
iHeartMedia. Prior to his first stint in Norfolk, Martin served as General
Sales Manager for iHeart St. Louis as well as in sales positions for the
company in Chicago, Detroit, and Memphis. He also was Interactive General
Sales Manager for Radio One Atlanta.

The Market President position in Norfolk had been vacant since Angel Brown
departed to become Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations for Nofolk
State Universitys sports department last year.

Martin had departed the company during its cuts last fall. He has since
been succeeded in St. Louis by former Emmis St. Louis Market Manager John
Beck.

iHeartMedia Norfolk announced today that Derrick Martin has been named
Market President, effective immediately. iHeartMedia Norfolk has a strong
cross-platform presence and includes a number of iconic brands and
franchises — both broadcast and digital — encompassing four stations
comprised of music, talk and news formats.

iHeartMedia has the leading consumer reach and influence across multiple
platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company.
As Market President, Martin will work closely with the programming,
business and sales teams and oversee all of the stations on-air and digital
programming as well as create new revenue opportunities. Martin will report
to Chuck Peterson, Area President for iHeartMedia Virginia.

Martin joins iHeartMedia Norfolk from the iHeartMedia St. Louis market,
where he most recently served as the Region President, overseeing the St.
Louis, Missouri; Des Moines, Iowa; Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Davenport, Iowa; and
Springfield, Missouri markets. Prior to serving as the Region President for
St. Louis, from 2013 to 2017, he served as the Market President for the
Norfolk market and is now making his return. Martin began his career at
iHeartMedia Memphis and is a graduate of Tennessee State University.

“I am excited to bring such a strong performer back to iHeartMedia
Norfolk,” said Chuck Peterson, Area President for iHeartMedia Virginia.
“The market performed exceptionally during Derrick’s previous tenure from
2013-2017, and I see a very bright future again with his return. He earned
the trust and respect of our team and the Norfolk community, and I know
they will give him a warm welcome back.”

“Derrick is a proven leader, especially during his time in Norfolk with
deeps ties with our clients, the Norfolk community and our staff,” said
Nick Gnau, Division President for iHeartMedia. “I am extremely excited for
Derrick to reconnect with the market and expand our community efforts, our
revenue and ratings footprint.”

“I am extremely excited to return to Norfolk to lead a great staff of
employees and work with advertisers to grow their business while utilizing
our company assets,” said Martin. “iHeartMedia Norfolk has a cluster of
stations that are a fabric in the community, and I can’t wait to reconnect
again.”

Ed Stolz Declared Fugitive From Justice For Failure To Comply With Judge's
Orders Surrounding Station Receivership

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-receivership/

Ed Stolz attempts at blocking court ordered receiver Larry Patrick from
selling CHRs “Rev 92.7” KREV Alameda/San Francisco, 97.7 KRCK-FM Mecca/Palm
Springs, and “104.3 Now” KFRH North Las Vegas to Christian network operator
VCY America made Stolz a fugitive from justice.

Law360 reports that after Stolz did not surrender to U.S. Marshals by
February 2 as required by a previous order by U.S. District Judge Jesus G.
Bernal, Stolz is now being fined $10,000 per day that he fails to turn
himself in. Bernal wrote in the order that Stolz has failed to sign
operational control of the bank accounts belonging to the radio stations at
issue over to the receiver and to provide the receiver with all financial
paperwork necessary for the receiver to run the stations, including
identifying information regarding past accountants and copies of the
stations 2019 federal and state tax returns. Stolz was finally arrested by
federal marshals on Thursday evening.

Tower owner Bellaire Tower Homeowner Association is also seeking to join
those recouping money from Stolz as part of the sale. Bellaire states that
Stolz has failed to pay the $305,940.49 and daily interest of $50.56
stemming from a 2014 state court judgement over tower lease for KREV.

Stolz filed a Petition To Deny with the FCC to reject the transfer of the
stations to VCY America last week. Stolz claims that he has satisfied the
original judgement and that the receivership will be terminated. Stolz also
states that the $6 million sale price is well below market value with
testimony from brokers claiming that KFRH and KREV are both worth $15
million each and KRCK-FM $3 million.

Stolz is known for using long court and FCC appeals to delay judgments
against him. After trying to back out of his $25 million sale of then 106.5
KWOD Sacramento to Entercom in 1996, which delayed closing to 2003, Stolz
spent much of the ensuing two decades constantly seeking to interfere in
cases against the company and filing endless fruitless petitions against
the company.

Acast Acquires RadioPublic

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...s-radiopublic/

The podcasting monetization and listener relationship company that began as
a spinoff of a Public Radio program distributor RadioPublic has been
acquired by Acast.

RadioPublic was founded in 2016 as a spinoff from PRX with then CEO Jake
Shapiro moving to the company. Investors included many involved in the
public radio and digital news space including PRX, WGBH, American Public
Media, Graham Holdings, New York Times, The McClatchy Company, and
Automattic. While Shapiro has since exited for

Apple Podcasts as Head of Creator Partnerships, fellow co-founders Chris
Quamme Rhoden (who was Chief Technology Officer) and Matt MacDonald (Chief
Product Officer) will join Acast.

Podcast giant Acast today announces the acquisition of RadioPublic, a US
podcast technology start-up founded in Boston, Massachusetts. The
acquisition will boost Acast’s presence in the US and further develop its
world class tools and talent. RadioPublic’s Listener Relationship
Management platform, which allows podcasters to foster even deeper
relationships with fans, is at the heart of the acquisition.

The deal comes off the back of several important moves for Acast in the
Americas including its recent collaboration with leading member platform
Patreon, which enables podcasters on the platform to distribute private,
patron-only content to their listeners’ podcast app of choice, as well as
the hiring of Heather Gordon as its new managing director for Canada, and
the launch of Acast in Mexico last year.

Leandro Saucedo, Acast’s Chief Business and Strategy Officer said: “The
acquisition of RadioPublic is fundamentally a partnership of values. We
both firmly believe in the open ecosystem of podcasting and have a shared
commitment to aid listener discovery and support all creators.

“We’re impressed by what RadioPublic has achieved and we believe that now —
as podcasting is gaining more momentum than ever before — is the ideal time
to bring RadioPublic’s talented team and company missions into the Acast
fold. This deal continues our quest to support all audio storytellers
around the world, giving their stories the audience they deserve.”

Along with a suite of industry-leading tools including the Listener
Relationship Management platform — which helps podcasters identify
potential new listeners, gain interest in their shows, and connect with
fans — the acquisition also sees RadioPublic co-founders Chris Quamme
Rhoden (CTO) and Matt MacDonald (Chief Product Officer) join the Acast
team. Co-founder and CEO Jake Shapiro has joined Apple Podcasts as Head of
Creator Partnerships.

Chris and Matt have more than a decade’s experience in podcasting as part
of PRX’s pioneering tech team, where they helped build the first generation
of podcast listening apps for This American Life and WNYC. At RadioPublic,
Matt and Chris led the development of the innovative suite of Listener
Relationship Management platform products including Podsites, HearMarks,
PodPass, and RadioPublic’s popular web embed player, iOS, and Android apps.

MacDonald added: “Im thrilled to scale up how we’ve helped podcasters grow
their audience and make more money now that were working with the talented,
global team at Acast. There’s such strong alignment between the Acast and
RadioPublic philosophies in our mutual support for — and belief in — a
financially healthy, robust, open podcast marketplace. Its exciting to
think about bringing our insights and growth marketing tools to a large
community of global podcasters.

RadioPublic was launched in 2016 with backing from a range of institutional
and strategic investors, including Project 11, The New York Times,
TechNexus, Automattic, Bose, GBH, American Public Media, PRX, and the
Knight Foundation. The acquisition will not affect RadioPublic
operationally and it will remain functional without change.

Station Sales Week Of 2/19

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-week-of-2-19/

Jason Zinzileta and Janice Derks Prescott Radio Broadcasting will purchase
News/Talk 1490 KYCA/103.5 K278CN Prescott AZ from Cesar Chavez Foundations
Phoenix Radio Broadcasting for $1,030,000. The buyers, who serve as
President/GM and Sales Manager respectively, have operated KYCA and
Beautiful Music 102.1 KAHM Spring Valley/101.7 K269EE Prescott via LMA
since Chavez closed on the purchase of the stations in January 2018. They
will continue to operate KAHM via LMA, with the deal currently set to run
until January 11, 2023 although there is an option that if triggered will
extend it an additional five years.

iHeartMedia divests another station out of the Aloha Stations Trust as 1600
WZZW Milton/Huntington WV is donated to Tom and Desire Hoyts Pure Media
Ministries. WZZW, which currently simulcasts News/Talk 800 WVHU Huntington,
will join Pure Medias Christian Pure Radio network along with stations in
Palm Springs and Louisville.

Broomfield Broadcasting of Lexington sells Rhythmic Oldies Jammin Hits 1170
WDEK/97.9 W250CG Lexington SC to The Meeting Place Church of Greater
Columbia for $475,000.

Lincoln-Garrard Broadcasting sells Silent 107.5 WKYB Perryville KY to Karen
Moses SIM Communications for $150,000 minus the liabilities owed to
creditors including the stations tower lease. Moses LGBC Media Media
Corporation and Strategic Impact Marketing Consulting Corporation hold LMAs
with multiple stations in South Central Kentucky including signal overlap
with Radioactive LLCs 102.9 WPBK Crab Orchard and Choice Radio NJK
Corporations AC 105.9 Jess-FM WNJK Burgin.

WGUL-FM Inc. will acquire 104.3 WXZC Inglis FL from Citrus County
Association For Retarded Citizens Inc. for $340,000. The buyer has operated
WXZC as a simulcast of their Country Z103.3 WXCZ Cedar Key since April 2018.

La Favorita Radio Network sells Spanish Oldies 1100 KAFY Bakersfield and
the CP for 92.3 K222DH Delano CA to Torres Media Group for Torres 5% stake
in the company. Torres Media Group will then assign their rights to the
station to Boris Treyzons AOTS Holdings, Inc.

Top O Texas Educational Broadcasting sells Christian Kingdom Keys Radio
91.5 KUHC Stratford TX to Libertad En Cristo Ministries for $10,000.