Old February 23rd 21, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] Adulting in the UK: The Gold/AC Wars

RadioInsight

Adulting in the UK: The Gold/AC Wars

https://radioinsight.com/ross/205074...-gold-ac-wars/

In the UK, it was one of the biggest radio stories in recent memory. Even
on Valentine’s Day, I heard from U.S. readers who enjoyed ROR’s First
Listen to the debut of Boom Radio, the DAB/online national station launched
in apparent response to the modernization of BBC Radio 2. Boom Radio
wasn’t just contrarian musically, but also in openly targeting and
celebrating a 60-plus audience that is, as the station declares, “still
busy living.”

Boom is only one of a handful of recent UK radio stories that I’ve been
meaning to share with Ross On Radio readers, especially those who’ve
enjoyed the resurgence in recent years of Soft AC and ‘60s/’70s-based
outlets such as KDRI (the Drive) Tucson, Ariz., or the syndicated Me-TV-FM.
UK radio has been an active place recently for various reasons — increased
nationalization, DAB’s relative viability, a busy formatic chess board on
which broadcasters constantly seem to be responding to each other.

One major story in broadcast radio is that London is finally poised to get
its first Classic Hits FM, after being one of the few world capitals
without one. Bauer’s rollout of its Greatest Hits Radio format has finally
brought the format to FM throughout the country, after years of existing
primarily on AM and DAB; now it’s waiting on regulatory approval to replace
Absolute Radio on its FM frequency.

Ironically, one of the stations now carrying the Greatest Hits Radio format
is the former The Breeze Southampton. More than a decade ago, that station
was media giant Celador’s foray into radio ownership, and an early
proponent of both the Breeze name and the sort of variety-based Soft AC
discussed here. That station’s architect, Kevin Stewart, is now music and
programming consultant to Radio Jackie, a suburban London gem that has also
had a following among ROR readers over the years.

There were a lot of First Listens and Fresh Listens in order. I did most of
my listening in the 11 a.m. hour on Feb. 15. The mood that day was
optimistic; the :00 news on every station was about the relatively
successful rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination program and a possible end
to lockdown.

Boom Radio: I went back on the second day of regular programming to hear
David Lloyd. Like the first-day presenters I heard, Lloyd was making a
point of explaining the station to listeners. “It’s a wide variety, from
the sublime to the ridiculous,” he said in going from ‘80s OMD to ‘50s Kay
Starr. In keeping with the station’s advocacy for its audience, there was a
related promo that promised “every song a page in the diary of life, and
still new pages to be written” as well as “every song a surprise.”

It’s not a major part of the mix, but one of the notable differences on
Boom from its U.S. counterparts is the MOR component; some of it is rock
era, but some is positioned as the music your parents like that you came to
appreciate. On Tuesday’s “Easy Hour,” there was music from Shirley Bassey,
Pat Boone, and Clint Eastwood’s left-field UK hit, “I Talk to the Trees.”
(There was also “Sad Sweet Dreamer” from Sweet Sensation and “Jesus to a
Child” by George Michael.) But here’s the station in middays:

Queen, “You’re My Best Friend”
Tornados, “Telstar”
Lesley Gore, “Maybe I Know”
Andy Gibb, “I Just Want to Be Your Everything”
OMD, “Joan of Arc”
Kay Starr, “Rock and Roll Waltz”
George Michael, “Heal the Pain”
Simon & Garfunkel, “Cecilia”
Nino Tempo & April Stevens, “Deep Purple”
Gary Barlow f/Beverly Knight, “Enough Is Enough”
Charlie Dore, “Pilot of the Airwaves”
George Benson, “Lady Love Me (One More Time)”
Beatles, “Your Mother Should Know”
Buddy Holly, “Raining in My Heart”
Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman, “Stumblin’ In”
Love Affair, “Bringin’ On Back the Good Times”

To some extent, Boom Radio is being boldly old because its competitors
weren’t that young to begin with, at least by U.S. radio standards. UK and
European broadcasters have always been more willing to test listeners above
54, something rarely done here. BBC Radio 2 is two years into its
modernization now. At the time, the stated intent wasn’t to abandon the
network’s 35-plus target as much as to acknowledge the 35-54 audience
within. And the update was considered successful enough that there were at
least two convention panels worldwide that used it as a case study. (On
Sunday, I joked that some Radio 2 listeners might still think Clean Bandit
is a person; on Tuesday, my dentist [who is my age] was streaming a Clean
Bandit artist channel. But Boom seems aimed at listeners who are older
still.)

Radio 2’s franchise has always been its full-service elements, as much as
the music. In the hour I heard, Gary Davis’ topic was “memorable blind date
stories.” (Only a few involved being stood up. Most ended with “ … and
we’ve been married for 29 years now.”) In fact, as U.S. broadcasters
despair for listeners willing to participate in anything other than
“Impossible Question” features, many of the UK stations I heard had some
invitation to “join the conversation” at some point in or throughout the
hour. Here’s Radio 2 just before 11 a.m.:

Fine Young Cannibals, “Good Thing”
Texas, “Hi” (like their ‘90s hit “Say What You Want,” it’s a collaboration
with Wu-Tang Clan, but the rappers weren’t evident on the radio version)
Cardigans, “My Favourite Game”
Marisha Wallace, “Fame,” house music and the previous week’s record of the
week
Neil Diamond, “If You Know What I Mean”
Brett Eldredge, “Good Day 2021” (with a “New to 2” sweeper; Radio 2 also
played the previous “Gabrielle”)
Sheryl Crow, “All I Wanna Do”
Sia, “Save My Life” (from the “Album of the Week,” the Music soundtrack)
Womack & Womack, “Love Wars”
Olivia Rodrigo, “Driver’s License”
Queen, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” (the first of two Tracks of Our
Years from comedian Adam Hills)
Adam & the Ants, “Antmusic”
Ariana Grande, “34 + 35”
Martha & the Vandellas, “Dancing in the Street”

Greatest Hits Radio’s planned launch in London will give owner Bauer both
that station and gold-based AC Magic 105.4. It was great to hear Mark
Goodier, the voice of BBC Radio 1’s top 40 countdown when I managed to
listen regularly in the ‘90s in the 11 a.m. hour:

Real Thing, “Can’t Get By Without You”
KC & the Sunshine Band, “Give It Up” (the first song out of 11:00 news)
Roxy Music, “Dance Away”
Kim Wilde, “Kids in America”
Ace, “How Long”
Shalamar, “A Night to Remember”
Van Morrison, “Brown Eyed Girl”
a-Ha, “Take on Me”
Pink Floyd, “Money” (another “what this song means to me” feature, this one
featuring a 20-year-old introduced to Pink Floyd by her grandfather)
Wet Wet Wet, “Sweet Little Mystery”
Aerosmith, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”
Hues Corporation, “Rock the Boat”

A onetime pirate broadcaster that eventually obtained a broadcast license,
Southwest London’s Radio Jackie always had some fans among ROR readers.
Stewart says the recent freshening of the station is a reaction to the UK’s
ongoing consolidation, so that there’s always local personality, and an
expanded list of 2,000 titles, all uptempo. Jackie’s topic was “what song
title described your weekend?” Answers included “Coffee and TV” (because
who could go anywhere or do anything else)? Also, “Reminiscing,” “Happy
Birthday,” and “I’m So Excited” (from a newly engaged listener). Here’s the
station just before 2 p.m.:

Camila Cabello, “Havana”
Supremes, “You Can’t Hurry Love” (with a “Radio Jackie classic” stager)
Tanita Tikaram, “Good Tradition”
[Detroit] Spinners, “The Rubberband Man”
Keane, “Everybody’s Changing”
Tom Jones, “No Hole in My Head” (his new song, a rocked-up ‘60s folk remake)
Furniture, “Brilliant Mind” (late ‘80s Euro)
Simple Minds, “Don’t You (Forget About Me)”
S Club 7, “Don’t Stop Movin’”
New Musik, “Living by Numbers”
Beat, “Mirror in the Bathroom”
Texas, “Black Eyed Boy”
Beatles, “All You Need Is Love”

Global’s Smooth Radio is the station that most resembles America’s current
Breeze stations — mostly ‘80s and ‘90s titles with a relatively controlled
cheese factor. Bauer’s Magic 105.4 is more mainstream, but even Mainstream
AC is gold-based now as well. There are times during the hour where both
stations could be Classic Hits stations, but also places where they clearly
are not.

Here’s Smooth as heard on “London’s relaxing music mix” just before 11 a.m.
with Myleene Klaas:

Emili Sandé, “Read All About It”
Fleetwood Mac, “Dreams”
Simply Red, “Stars”
Michael Jackson, “Man in the Mirror”
Take That, “Rule the World”
Wilson Philips, “Hold On”
Luther Vandross, “Never Too Much”
Real Thing, “Can’t Get By Without You”
Pet Shop Boys, “West End Girls”
Kool & the Gang, “Get Down on It”
Carpenters, “Rainy Days and Mondays”
Labi Siffre, “Something Inside (So Strong)”
Elvis Presley, “Suspicious Minds”

On Magic 105.4 during that same stretch, Nick Snaith’s topic was “are you
doing what you wanted as a kid?” Those stories, prompted by running into a
childhood friend who was now a firefighter, also often ended with “ … and
for the last 29 years … ”-type payoff. Here’s the station just before 11
a.m.:

Duffy, “Mercy”
Madness, “It Must Be Love”
Donna Summer, “Hot Stuff”
Lady A, “Need You Now”
Pet Shop Boys, “What Have I Done to Deserve This”
Lighthouse Family, “Lifted”
Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder, “Together in Electric Dreams”
Dido, “White Flag”
Queen, “I Want to Break Free”
Deniece Williams, “Let’s Hear It for the Boy”
Four Seasons, “December 1963 (Oh What a Night)”
Corrs, “Runaway”
Terence Trent D’Arby, “Sign Your Name”

Did you listen to Boom or any of these stations this week? Please leave a
comment.

Q Country Debuts In Ashland City

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-ashland-city/

Consolidated Media has relaunched Country 103.9 The Bear 790 WVWZ/103.9
W280FN Ashland City TN as Q Country 103.9.

Now sporting new WCHQ call letters, this is the third relaunch and fourth
set of call letters of the station since the former Southern Gospel WJNA
was purchased in early 2019. The station first relaunched as Classic
Country The Wolf simulcasting 105.1 WVWF (now WVWB) Waverly. It then became
103.9 The Bear with a mix of current and Classic Country in June 2019. The
AM signal rimshots portions of the Nashville market.

WCHQ is also seeking a Station Manager to oversee its business operations.

BIN Launches In Tupelo

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...hes-in-tupelo/

iHeartMedia has expanded its Black Information Network to another market
with the flip of Alternative Alt 107.7 1490 WTUP/107.7 W299CS Tupelo MS to
the network.

BIN 107.7 becomes the 31st market to join the Black Information Network.

The now former Alternative brand debuted in August 2018. The station
carried Premiere Networks The Woody Show in mornings.

John Lassman Joins WHMH As Morning Host/Operations Director

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...ions-director/

Following the November exit of Aaron Imholte following his attacks on KAZR
Des Moines morning host Heather Lee, Tri-County Broadcasting has named John
Lassman as its new morning host at Rock Rockin 101 101.7 WHMH-FM St. Cloud
MN.

Lassman will host The Johnny Rock Show starting Monday, March 1 and will
also serve as Operations Director for the company. The Minneapolis native
most recently served as Senior Executive Producer for the KQRS Morning Show
with Tom Barnard at Cumulus 92.5 KQRS until November 2019. Lassman has also
programmed multiple stations in Minneapolis including Alternative 93.7 The
Edge KEGE, Rock 93X KXXR, AC Lite 102.9 WLTE, Variety Hits 104.1 Jack-FM
KZJK and Alternative Zone 105 KZNR/KZNZ/KZNV.

His career stops also include serving as Operations Manager for Townsquare
Media Buffalo NY, Director of Marketing for WRIF Detroit and WAPP New York,
and programming WRXL Richmond VA.

Minnesota Rock Radio Vet, John Lassman, joins ‘Tri-County Broadcasting’ as
Host of ‘The Johnny Rock Show’, weekday mornings 6-10am on ‘Rockin’
101-WHMH. Lassman will also serve as Tri-County Broadcasting’s Operations
Director, starting Monday, March 1st 2021.

John’s long and storied career in radio started in grade school in his
hometown of S.E. Minneapolis, eventually leading to the #1 radio market on
earth, New York City. It was there, as Promotion Director and producing an
album of unsigned bands for WAPP-FM, that he met an unknown New Jersey
musician named Jon Bongiovi. Fast forward 35 years and Lassman is being
thanked on stage by Jon Bon Jovi at the 2018 Rock n’ Roll Hall Of Fame
induction ceremony, then reunited backstage.

Locally, ‘Johnny Rock’ is probably best known for his 2 tours of duty at 92
KQRS. Lassman also served as Marketing Director for WRIF/Detroit as well as
Operations/Program Director at 93.7 The EDGE, 104.1 JACK FM and 93X,
Minneapolis/St. Paul. John has also programmed XL-102/Richmond, Virginia,
WYRK/WJYE/JACK FM, Buffalo, New York and VP of East Coast
Programing/Townsquare Media. Lassman most recently served as On-Air
Executive Producer for The Tom Barnard Morning Show.

John added, “I’ve admired Tri-County Broadcasting, Rockin 101 and it’s
talented team for many years. Joining Owner and ‘TCB’ Gary Hoppe, long time
Program Director, Tim Ryan, both who can be found working late into the
evenings, plus, the talented staff, both on and off air, and the chance to
join this wonderful community, added up to a no brainer. I’m looking
forward to building ‘The Johnny Rock Show’ into a local and
self-deprecating morning radio institution for St. Cloud and the
surrounding areas. Speaking of “Institutions,” Power Radio’s ‘The Chucker’
was just released from a local one and will be joining me at ‘The Red House
That Rocks’. The Johnny Rock Show will have exclusive interviews with hard
rock heroes and first-hand accounts of my life backstage. It’s going to be
a blast. Enough of the negativity. Those types of shows are played out!”

Bon Jovi and ‘The Chucker’ aren’t the only radio reunions for Lassman.

“It’s also a reunion for myself and station consultant Lee Arnold, as we
worked together in the late 1980’s. At least, that’s what people say.We
have no memory of it, but we’ll take their word for it. Honestly, 1986 to
89 is a blur”.

WHMH Program Director, Tim Ryan, added, “Looking though our long list of
applications for our future morning show, one name came up that really
caught our attention. Radio veteran John Lassmans impressive resume rose to
the top of the list. Not only does Lassman come highly recommended by many
other broadcast professionals, he is also a recognized name in the St.
Cloud area from his tenure in the Twin Cities radio market. John has the
knowledge and experience of a long radio career and brings a fresh
perspective and new ideas not only to Rockin 101 but to Tri-County
Broadcasting, Inc. as a whole. As we move forward to the start of our new
morning show on Rockin 101, The Johnny Rock Show, John will be an integral
part of getting back to the foundation and storied history of our station.
Our morning show will be concentrating on the best in today’s Rock Music
and Johns brand of fun and entertainment, as we focus on community and the
magic that has made Rockin’ 101 the number one rock station for decades.
John has a ton of stories to tell and we look forward to hearing them all
for years to come. Heres to a bright future with John Johnny Rock Lassman.”

[RadioInsight] Cougar 93.7 Mentor Going Gold RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcasting Admin Broadcasting 0 December 8th 18 09:49 PM
[RadioInsight] Cougar 93.7 Mentor Going Gold RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcasting Admin Info 0 December 8th 18 09:49 PM
Flame wars Jim AA2QA CB 1 April 3rd 08 12:21 AM
Protest Wars RHF Shortwave 0 August 4th 06 09:04 AM
flame wars Steveo CB 32 June 8th 04 04:26 PM