Old March 8th 21, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] Devin Steel Joins Hot 107.9 Atlanta As Program Director

RadioInsight

Devin Steel Joins Hot 107.9 Atlanta As Program Director

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...gram-director/

Radio One Hip Hop Hot 107.9 WHTA Hampton/Atlanta GA has tabbed Devin Steel
as its new Program Director.

Steel has spent the majority of his career in his hometown of Memphis where
he most recently spent nineteen years at iHeartMedia Hip Hop K97 as
PD/afternoon host and later rising to Senior Vice President of Programming
for the cluster in 2011 until his exit last July. He previously worked at
Flinn’s crosstown Hip Hop “Hot 107.1” KXHT as afternoon host, APD/MD and
then PD before jumping to WHRK in 2001.

Steel succeeds Tap Money, who exited the station after a little over a year
as Program Director last month.

The Most Successful Station Launches of the 2010s

https://radioinsight.com/ross/205728...-of-the-2010s/

What format trend of the 2010s had the most impact?

If the measurement is stations launched over the last decade or so that are
market leaders today, the highest yield was almost certainly in the move of
heritage News/Talk and Sports brands to FM. The 2010s began with the move
of stations like N/T WSB Atlanta and KFBK Sacramento, Calif., and sports
KFXN (the Fan) Minneapolis and WIP Philadelphia. This week began with an FM
translator for Entercom’s KMOX St. Louis on the heels of a new FM frequency
for its KYW Philadelphia.

The continuing tumult of the last year might have propelled spoken-word
stations into the top 5 anyway, but many of the stations that acquired an
FM or moved there outright, such as WMAL Washington, D.C., were chief among
January’s top-rated stations. That boom also includes WHPT (The Bone)
Tampa, Fla., which was still a personality-heavy Classic Rock station when
the last decade began.

By comparison, only a relative handful of music stations launched in
between 2000-10 were in the top 5 6-plus in January’s PPM ratings, about 15
in total, depending on how you count. None of those were the second or
third CHRs that popped up during the format explosion of the early ‘00s, or
the younger-leaning “New Country” stations that proliferated a few years
later when the format began attracting younger demos. None were Classic
Hip-Hop outlets or the all-’90s format that gave 2020 one of its few
heavily discussed new radio stations.

The January PPM month typically shows some lingering effects of the
Christmas-music season. But it’s unlikely that many second CHRs or younger
Country outlets are just one month of recovery away from the top 5. Even
before COVID-19, a Radioinsight story documented the surprising number of
stations that have been in their formats more-or-less continuously since
the 1980s. To some extent, those stations have managed to co-opt new format
developments. WMIA (Totally 93.9) Miami hasn’t gained traction with
all-’90s, but Soft AC rival WFEZ (Easy 93.1) Miami is playing more than
ever.

WFEZ celebrated its 10th birthday this year. Its Soft AC format has morphed
considerably, but not before it prompted a successful Soft AC launch at
KISQ (The Breeze) San Francisco, and the return of WLIT (Lite FM) Chicago
to Soft AC.

Ross On Radio has covered the Soft AC format at length, often to the
consternation of Mainstream AC programmers. But that group can also be
proud of current top 5 stations WREW (Mix 94.9) Cincinnati, WLDB (B93)
Milwaukee — which counts as a ‘10s launch by dint of a brief foray into Hot
AC and the most-recent launch, KDGE (Star 102.1) Dallas, which led the
holiday book and was second in the market in January.

Just as the advent of PPM helped drive the building boom in CHRs in the
early ‘00s, it also made sure that most markets had the Classic Hits
format, which, until then, had been faltering. Current top five launches
include WEAT West Palm Beach, Fla.; KBAY San Jose; and KXSN (Sunny 98.1)
San Diego. Sunny’s debut was particularly auspicious — a former Soft AC
that changed in pursuit of better demos and remained a market leader,
something that rarely goes according to plan.

We also observed last year that the Bob- and Jack-FM “Adult Hits” format,
the most influential programming trend of the mid-‘00s, seemed to be
undergoing a resurgence in early 2020, further defying any “fad format”
predictions. While most of the successful Adult Hits stations in this
month’s ratings were 2000s launches, newer ones include WBBB Raleigh, N.C.,
and KYOT (The Mountain) Phoenix. KKHH (The Spot) Houston wasn’t top five
6-plus in January but was also a prominent format launch in recent years.
Classic Rock KTKX (The Eagle) San Antonio also launched in the early 2010s,
forcing a heritage rival out of the format.

It’s worth noting that a number of the aforementioned launches don’t
represent format trends as much as opportunities created by owners with
other priorities. Dallas’s Star 102.1 and West Palm Beach’s WEAT were both
prompted by the loss of heritage stations. The most adventurous success
story this month was non-commercial Triple-A KUTX Austin, Texas, one of
several in the format this month, also including KEXP Seattle. KCMP (The
Current) Minneapolis — one of the first highly rated non-comm Triple-A
outlets, is in the high-3/low-4 share range now, but even that was once
unimaginable.

Radioinsight.com publisher Lance Venta, who along with Country Aircheck
ratings expert Chris Huff suggested this story, also cites the influence of
New York’s WNYL (Alt 92.3) and WNSH (Country 94.7). Those stations
demonstrated the commitment of their owners, Entercom and Cumulus
respectively, to the formats, and, in the case of WNYL, touched off a
building boom in the format, even though Alternative has yet to rebound
overall. Venta also cites WBQT (Hot 96.9) Boston, KHTP (Hot 103.7) Seattle,
and KXQQ (Q100.5) Las Vegas, which are among the most enduring of the
mid-’00s Classic Hip-Hop launches.

Soft AC and non-comm Triple-A may seem like opposites, but they share a
willingness to cater to disenfranchised upper demos, as well as COVID-era
listeners who are now in search of longer-span listening experiences. Both
have elements of “radio as it used to be,” whether it’s Soft AC playing Air
Supply or Triple-A’s hosts advocating for new music.

That there have been relatively few phenomenal and enduring new format
launches over the last decade reflects how both outside marketing and a
station’s ability to generate talk from existing cume have been diminished
since 2010, a time when radio was already playing defense. Podcasting has
captured the broadcaster attention that might have gone into station
launches. The new body of music that exists in streaming is arguably a
format, but not on the radio; CHR’s efforts to make a pest a pet by
acknowledging the hits of TikTok and ISPs have yet to pay off.

What are your most influential stations of the last decade? Please leave a
comment.

WAPL Fires Morning Host Len Nelson After Limbaugh Facebook Comments

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...book-comments/

Following a two week suspension for comments made on his personal Facebook
page criticizing Rush Limbaugh on the day of his death, Woodward
Communications Rock 105.7 WAPL Appleton WI has parted ways with morning
host Len Nelson.

Woodward released a brief statement noting, After careful consideration of
all contributing factors, including violations of our employment policies,
WAPL and Woodward Radio Group have decided to end morning show host Len
Nelsons employment. We are planning for the next chapter of the WAPL
morning show with Rick McNeal, and we will keep our loyal listeners and
advertisers informed as we make those decisions.

Nelson wrote the following on Facebook regarding his termination:

As stated by Woodward, Rick McNeal, who has hosted mornings with Nelson
from*1985 until 1999 and again since September 2003, will remain in place.

Original Report 2/18: Woodward Communications Rock 105.7 WAPL Appleton WI
has suspended morning host Len Nelson for comments made on his personal
Facebook page about Rush Limbaugh.

In a statement on WAPL.com, Woodward wrote, Recently we were made aware of
a social media post placed on a personal Facebook page by one of our
employees, Len Nelson. His personal views are not reflective of the core
values of WAPL nor of Woodward Radio Group. We are deeply committed to
being good people. We appreciate our listeners, sponsors and advertisers
and want to assure each of you this matter is being addressed swiftly.
Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns, we are listening.

While the original post has been deleted, a listener took a screenshot of
it alleging he personally attacked him in comments and called on others to
call the station. Nelson would write a lengthy apology in part stating, As
you might surmise, my actions have come with a personal cost. Ive been
indefinitely suspended from my job on the WAPL morning show and its
possible, after further consideration by the company, that I will be
terminated. I understand their decision but I hope in the coming days to
work together with management to find a resolution which will allow me to
continue to serve WRG, a company Ive greatly enjoyed working for, by doing
the job Ive loved for decades. I remain willing to take whatever steps that
might entail and I look forward to the opportunity. That my foolish and
incendiary Facebook activity has jeopardized that is a hard shot to take
but its one with which I must and will deal. To those of you with whom Ive
admittedly sparred too harshly, I sincerely apologize. I should have had
more respect for each of you. To those of you who have supported me along
the way, thank you. But please do me a favor and take a moment to do what I
have done here. We should all reconsider how we interact with those with
whom we have differences. There must be a better way than the path Ive too
often tread. I wish I had done such self-reflection earlier but I believe
we can all learn from our mistakes. Ive taken a look into the mirror and
what I saw is not the best person nor the best employee I can be. I pledge
to try harder and be better.

Nelson is on his second long stint in mornings at WAPL alongside Rick
McNeal. He and McNeal originally were part of the stations morning show
together from 1985 until 1999 and returned in September 2003.

Tim 'Romeo' Herbster Joins Entercom Philadelphia

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-philadelphia/

Tim Romeo Herbster is joining Entercom as Director of Music Programming and
Brand Manager of Classic Hits 98.1 WOGL and AC B101.1 WBEB Philadelphia.

Herbster most recently served as Regional SVP of Programming for
iHeartMedia based in Portland OR. The move marks a near homecoming for him
as a Pennsylvania native. He worked on-air in St. Marys and Erie PA,
Nashville and Salt Lake City before joining WKQI Detroit as APD/night host
in 2000. He would move to New York as Music Director/night host at Z100
WHTZ in 2002 where he would stay until being named Vice President of
Programming for Goom Radio in 2009.

Herbster would return to radio and make his first stint in Philadelphia as
Program Director of CHR Q102 WIOQ from 2009 to 2012 followed by a role as
Vice President of Special Projects for the company before heading to
Portland in 2016. Since 2010 he has also hosted the syndicated Saturday
night show Most Requested Live with Romeo which will be added locally on
96.5 TDY WTDY-FM.

He fills the opening created by the exit of Shelley Easton at the end of
2020.

Entercom announced the appointment of Tim Herbster as Director of Music
Programming and Brand Manager of B101.1 (WBEB-FM) and 98.1 WOGL (WOGL-FM)
in Philadelphia, effective immediately.

“I am so excited to welcome Tim to our Philadelphia team,” said David
Yadgaroff, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Entercom Philadelphia.
“The combination of his vast experience, passion for creating great content
and winning attitude will make such a positive impact on these iconic
brands.”

I’m thrilled to return to my home state of Pennsylvania and join the
talented Entercom Philadelphia team,” said Herbster. “Having programmed and
been on the air in Philadelphia earlier in my career, I know the listener
engagement is like no other market. The same passion that runs deep for
their favorite sports teams can be found in their radio station selection
as well. The WBEB, WOGL, and WTDY brands are not just radio stations, they
are franchises. Serving and entertaining the Philadelphia community is in
their DNA and comes out of the speakers between every song. Im also very
excited to bring “Most Requested Live” back to the city where it was born –
Saturday nights on 96.5 TDY. Thank you to David Yadgaroff, Jeff Sottolano
and Pat Paxton for the confidence and opportunity to come home.”

Veteran personality and programmer Tim Romeo Herbster’s career in radio
began as a DJ at the age of 15 in Pennsylvania and later led him to
Nashville, Salt Lake City, Detroit, and New York City. He started his
programming journey in Paris in 2009, made his way to Philadelphia, back to
New York, and then to Portland, Oregon, where he most recently served as
the Senior Vice President of Programming for iHeartMedia’s Pacific
Northwest region. He currently hosts the uniquely interactive radio show,
“Most Requested Live with Romeo,” which can be heard on over 170 stations
across North America.

SummitMedia Mixes Up Louisville

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...up-louisville/

SummitMedia has relaunched AC 106.9 Play WVEZ St. Matthews/Louisville as
Mix 106.9 with a music shift to Hot AC.

WVEZ is now positioning as The Best Variety of 2K and Today as it removes
most of its library from before 2000. The station retains its current
on-air lineup of Jesse Ras and MJ in mornings and Jordan Rivers in
afternoons. WVEZ had been branded as 106.9 Play since January 2016 as part
of its evolution from its former Lite 106.9 identity.

SummitMedia Louisville Market President Todd Pitt will be exiting the
company once a replacement is found. Pitt shared on Facebook that he is
relocating to Bradenton FL but will be working remotely for Summit in the
interim.

The changes in Louisville come on the heels of the company revamping two of
its Richmond stations last week. In addition to WVEZ, Classic Rock 107.7
The Eagle WSFR Corydon IN introduced a new logo and positioning from
Louisvilles Classic Hits to emphasizing the Classic Rock name.

The 9am hour of the new Mix 106.9 featured:

Lady Gaga Poker Face
Jonas Brothers Sucker
Ellie Goulding Love Me Like You Do
24KGoldn w/Iann Dior Mood
Kelly Clarkson Miss Independent
Justin Bieber ft. Quavo Intentions
Jason Derulo w/ Jawsh 365 Savage Love
Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera Moves Like Jagger
Pharrell Happy
Dua Lipa w/ DaBaby Levitating
Outkast Hey Ya
Rhianna Stay

Peter 'Kane' Deibler Dies Following Long Illness

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-long-illness/

Veteran syndicated CHR morning host Peter Kane Deibler passed away on
Friday, March 6th at the age of 43 after a long illness at the*Shady Grove
Adventist Medical Center in suburban Maryland.

After starting as an intern while in high school at KC 101 WKCI New Haven
CT, Kane began his on-air career at Syracuse Universitys student-run CHR
Z89 WJPZ Syracuse NY. He would work in his native Danbury CT as Sean Kelly
at 98Q WDAQ and then hosted late nights at crosstown CHR Hot 107.9 WWHT. He
joined 93.3 WFLZ Tampa in 1998 as evening host and would soon track The
Extreme Show to multiple markets. Deibler moved to Washington DC in 2000 to
serve as Program Director for XM Satellite Radios KissXM, 20 on 20 and 90s
On 9, the latter of which he also hosted afternoons. Kane would also begin
hosting the Sunday night edition of Open House Party in 2003. He would move
back to WFLZ in 2004, this time as Program Director/afternoon host.

Kane would return to Washington in October 2006 to anchor The Kane Show in
mornings on Hot 99.5 WIHT WAshington while continuing to do a separate
afternoon show for Tampa until WFLZ picked up the morning show in 2012. The
Kane Show would be heard in other markets including Baltimore, Harrisburg,
Louisville and Memphis via Premiere Networks and the Sunday Night Club Kane
show would be heard on nearly 100 stations until iHeart cancelled both
shows abruptly in April 2020.

In a statement released by his representatives, Deibler was described as
leading one of*the Washington areas most-listened-to morning radio
programs, playing the latest hits and popular segments. Kane routinely
discussed being a father to his two daughters, Sam and Sophie, endearing
him to his many listeners.*Although co-hosts*came and went, Kane remained a
constant, comforting voice for thousands of people driving to work,
dropping the kids off at school and running errands.

KSL Midday Host Lee Lonsberry Exits For Senator's Staff

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...enators-staff/

Lee Lonsberry is exiting Bonneville Media News/Talk KSL NewsRadio 102.7
1160 KSL Salt Lake City/102.7 KSL-FM Midvale UT to return to Washington DC
as Communications Director for Senator Mike Lee.

Lonsberry joined KSL as 12:30 to 3pm host in December 2019 after previously
working on the staff of Utah Representative Rob Bishop from 2015-2019. He
previously served as Executive Producer for his father Bob Lonsberrys talk
shows on 570 KNRS Salt Lake City and 1180 WHAM Rochester NY and in an early
stint at KSL served as a producer before moving to co-owned KSL-TV as a
reporter.

His final day at KSL will be Friday, April 2. The station has yet to
finalize plans for the daypart.

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) today issued the following statement announcing the
hiring of Lee Lonsberry of KSL Radio, who will assume his new role in early
April.

“I am pleased to announce that Lee Lonsberry will be joining my staff as
Communications Director. Lee is one of the most respected members of the
Utah media, fair and honest, and a consummate professional. His experience
in Utah, and on Capitol Hill working for Rep. Rob Bishop, makes him the
ideal messenger for my team as he works to serve the people of Utah.”

104.7 KJUL (Temporarily?) Ceases Operations

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...es-operations/

Summit American Inc. Soft Oldies 104.7 KJUL Moapa Valley/Las Vegas has
ceased operations.

President/General Manager and morning host Scott Gentry told listeners the
plan was to turn off the transmitter for a few months. The length would
depend on the economic recovery of Las Vegas to help restore advertising
coming into the station. Gentry directed listeners to co-owned Oldies Kool
102 1280 KQLL Henderson/102.3 K272EE Las Vegas, which will remain on the
air.

KJULs brand debuted in 1990 on the 104.3 North Las Vegas allocation as an
Adult Standards station. Following a series of sales the station ended up
in the possession of Beasley Media, who flipped it to Country in October
2005. The call letters and brand were picked up by the rimshot 104.7 Moapa
Valley signal in November 2005. The station is mostly heard in the northern
fringes of the Las Vegas market.

WNAP Signs Off With Land Sale

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...ith-land-sale/

WNAP Inc. has signed off Gospel Gospel Highway 11 1110 WNAP
Norristown/Philadelphia PA as it prepares to sell the land that houses the
stations studios and towers.

Local housing developer Better Living Homes Inc. received local zoning
approval to build 40 homes on the 5.35 acre site last year. The sale of the
site has not been consummated, however WNAP ceased broadcasting on March 1.
The station, which operated with 4.8kW daytime only, from a three tower
array, is continuing to stream online while ownership is currently
examining options with respect to returning the station to the air.

FCC Report 3/6: FCC Reminds Franken-FMs Of Upcoming Conversion Date

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...nversion-date/

The FCC sent out a notice this week reminding analog LPTV stations that
they must complete their digital conversion by 11:59pm on July 13.

This will mean the end of all low-power television stations on channel 6
using the analog loophole to operate as a radio station on 87.7 MHz such as
87.7 MeTV-FM WRME-LP Chicago, La Nueva 87.7 WDCN-LP Washington DC, Streetz
87.7 WMTO-LP Norfolk VA, and Drake Hall Memphis Radio WPGF-LP Memphis TN.
While WMTO-LP operator Core Radio Group is in the process of purchasing
102.1 WXTG-FM Virginia Beach, none of the other so-called Franken-FMs have
announced anything yet to keep their brand on the air past the July 13
deadline.

By 11:59 p.m. local time on July 13, 2021, all LPTV/translator stations
must terminate all analog television operations regardless of whether their
digital facilities are operational. Stations that have not yet constructed
a digital facility must cease analog television operations no later than
July 13, 2021, and remain silent until construction is completed. If a
station goes silent prior to completing construction of its digital
facility, it may file a request for silent authority.

All of the stations are being given the opportunity to file for a 180 day
extension of their Construction Permits for digital operation by March 15,
however the FCC is mandating that all stations must go Silent on July 14
should they not have their new facilities ready.

A pair of Orlando area signals have been issued Notices of Violation for
spurious emissions onto the airplane band creating interference at Orlando
International Airport. Cornerstone Broadcasting Corporations 97.3 W247AK
Deland FL was noted on 133.0626 MHz with a field strength level of -66.53
dBm. Sucremedias 99.7 WBVL-LP Kissimmee had spurs on six frequencies
including 114.145, 115.850, 118.385, 120.995, 134.585, and 135.765 MHz.

The FAA reported the interference from WBVL-LP to the FCCs Enforcement
Bureau on December 26, 2020 at 3:30pm. It took numerous attempts to contact
station personnel before the station turned off its transmitter around
9:00am on December 28 taking 41 hours, more than the three required by FCC
rules.

The FCC continues to issue fines to stations for failing to timely file
license renewals.

School District of Bay Citys 91.3 WCHW-FM Bay City MI was required to file
its license renewal application by June 1, 2020. However the station did
not until September 29 just ahead of its October 1 license expiration date.
WCHW-FM was fined $3000.

Carroll University, Inc.s 104.5 WCCX Waukesha WI was fined $1500 as a
secondary Class D service. WCCX was to have filed its renewal application
by August 3, 2020 but did not until November 12.

The following translators and LPFMs were fined $1500 as being secondary
services:

Clinton Educational Associations 92.5 KXJK-LP Clinton IA was to have filed
its license renewal on October 1, 2020 but did not submit it until December
28, 2020.
Coushatta Tribe of Louisianas 106.3 KWRJ-LP Elton LA filed its renewal on
May 29, 2020 just ahead of its license expiration of June 1 after its
required deadline of February 3.
Amazing Grace Churchs 99.1 KILB-LP Paron AR was required to file by
February 3, 2020 but did not until March 11.

Heritage Media of Kentuckys 103.9 W280FH Leitchfield KY was fined $1125
with its penalty dropped for what the licensee states was a clerical error
during the initial chaos caused by the COVID-19 pandemic causing the
company to forget to file along with parent 870 WMTL Leitchfield.

Deletions
This content is for Premium Annual and Premium Monthly members only. Visit
the site and log in/register to read.