Old February 8th 05, 06:15 AM
Al Quaglieri

Default Pirate radio nonsense

--=====================_37349937==.ALT

Since the shutdown, KFAR has continued an abbreviated broadcast on the
Internet under a new name, Community Radio of Knoxville, or CRoK, and looks
for other opportunities.

"KFAR is going to continue to survive as an idea," Irwin said, "until we can
figure out some way of getting the people of Knoxville access to what
belongs to them - our airwaves."

Enough with these idiots.

Every time they get snagged we hear the cries of outrage re suppressed
viewpoints and the trampled First Amendment. But honestly, if you're
driving 65 through a school zone, you deserve a ticket even if you were on
your way to feed the homeless.

There is a process to putting a station on the air, and getting a license
is part of that process. Everything else - the lack of diversity on the
airwaves, corporate ownership of media, rights of free speech, blah blah
blah - is immaterial.

Here's what most pirate radio is: political diatribes from the far fringes,
music few people ever needed to hear again, shoutouts to buddies, and
buzzes, hiss, hum and dead air, presided over by the least capable air
"talent" ever to disgrace a microphone. There's a good reason these
self-deluded crusaders couldn't cut it in the world of professional
broadcasting - they suck, and so does their programming.

I think the most recent incarnation of the FCC has overstepped its bounds
by becoming the enforcement wing of those who want to beat America silly
with their Bibles; nonetheless, I still believe imposing technical
requirements and order on our broadcasting bands remain valuable functions
of the Bureau.

Someone please give these guys 100 kHz of the shortwave spectrum so they
can play radio and impress one another.

Al Q.
NY

--=====================_37349937==.ALT

html
body
blockquote type=cite class=cite cite=""font size=3Since the shutdown,
KFAR has continued an abbreviated broadcast on thebr
Internet under a new name, Community Radio of Knoxville, or CRoK, and
looksbr
for other opportunities.brbr
"KFAR is going to continue to survive as an idea," Irwin said,
"until we canbr
figure out some way of getting the people of Knoxville access to
whatbr
belongs to them - our airwaves."/blockquotebr
Enough with these idiots. brbr
Every time they get snagged we hear the cries of outrage re suppressed
viewpoints and the trampled First Amendment. But honestly, if you're
driving 65 through a school zone, you deserve a ticket even if you were
on your way to feed the homeless.brbr
There is a process to putting a station on the air, and getting a license
is part of that process. Everything else - the lack of diversity on the
airwaves, corporate ownership of media, rights of free speech, blah blah
blah - is immaterial.brbr
Here's what most pirate radio is: political diatribes from the far
fringes, music few people ever needed to hear again, shoutouts to
buddies, and buzzes, hiss, hum and dead air, presided over by the least
capable air "talent" ever to disgrace a microphone. There's a
good reason these self-deluded crusaders couldn't cut it in the world of
professional broadcasting - they suck, and so does their
programming.brbr
I think the most recent incarnation of the FCC has overstepped its bounds
by becoming the enforcement wing of those who want to beat America silly
with their Bibles; nonetheless, I still believe imposing technical
requirements and order on our broadcasting bands remain valuable
functions of the Bureau.brbr
Someone please give these guys 100 kHz of the shortwave spectrum so they
can play radio and impress one another.brbr
br
Al Q.br
NY /font/body
br
/html

--=====================_37349937==.ALT--

Old February 8th 05, 08:26 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Al Quaglieri wrote:

Here's what most pirate radio is: political diatribes from the far fringes,
music few people ever needed to hear again, shoutouts to buddies, and
buzzes, hiss, hum and dead air, presided over by the least capable air
"talent" ever to disgrace a microphone. There's a good reason these
self-deluded crusaders couldn't cut it in the world of professional
broadcasting - they suck, and so does their programming.

I agree. But I think that stuff _should_ be available on the airwaves as
a public service. I think that if someone wants to go on the air with
a station that broadcasts Mahler symphonies 24 hours a day, and they
can show they won't impinge on the contours of other stations, that the
FCC should grant them a license.

The problems today involve the licensing procedure being much too complex
for small noncommercial stations, and the number of stations already on the
air (often with the same programming) crowding the bands.

I think the most recent incarnation of the FCC has overstepped its bounds
by becoming the enforcement wing of those who want to beat America silly
with their Bibles; nonetheless, I still believe imposing technical
requirements and order on our broadcasting bands remain valuable functions
of the Bureau.

Sadly, I agree. But personally I think they should spend some time getting
Part 15 enforced, and dealing with the fact that most of the current radio
broadcasters are not performing much of a public service but are instead
just playing whatever comes over the bird.

Someone please give these guys 100 kHz of the shortwave spectrum so they
can play radio and impress one another.

How about making the 87.9 MHz "Channel 200" available for them? Have a
very easy to get special event license, that is good for one year and needs
to be renewed. This is much like what is done in some European countries now.

And, how about refusing renewals to some of the stations that just broadcast
satellite-originated pap that is identical to that of a dozen other stations
in their market?
--scott

Old February 9th 05, 09:09 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
| In article , Al Quaglieri
wrote:

Overall, not much to disagree with except:

| How about making the 87.9 MHz "Channel 200" available for them? Have a
| very easy to get special event license, that is good for one year and needs
| to be renewed. This is much like what is done in some European countries
now.

This was a disaster for the channel 6's affected. It's taken years of
reallocating the stations licenced to fix it, once the genie got out of the
bottle. And that was in the hands of ostensibly competent engineering
talent....do you really think that LPFMs would be as likely to have such
skills?
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old February 10th 05, 09:25 PM
Scott Dorsey

wrote:

Overall, not much to disagree with except:

| How about making the 87.9 MHz "Channel 200" available for them? Have a
| very easy to get special event license, that is good for one year and needs
| to be renewed. This is much like what is done in some European countries
now.

This was a disaster for the channel 6's affected. It's taken years of
reallocating the stations licenced to fix it, once the genie got out of the
bottle. And that was in the hands of ostensibly competent engineering
talent....do you really think that LPFMs would be as likely to have such
skills?

My suspicion is that with the coming of HDTV that this will be much less
of an issue. But I do agree with the technical concerns.
--scott

Old February 10th 05, 09:25 PM
Scott Dorsey

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:
Sadly, I agree. But personally I think they should spend some time getting
Part 15 enforced, and dealing with the fact that most of the current radio
broadcasters are not performing much of a public service but are instead
just playing whatever comes over the bird.

If people don't think it's a public service, they will turn it off;
we call this "competition". Who else but the listeners will determine
if a "public service" is being rendered? You?

Until the mid-1980s, the FCC did, and they had some fairly stanadardized
rules on the subject.

Today, nobody does. And if you look at the current statistics, most people
ARE turning their radios off. Radio listening has dropped considerably
except in the car, where there is a fairly captive audience. And, in the
car, we have people who seldom listen to any one station for more than
two minutes. That does not sound like ANY stations, therefore, are providing
the service the listeners are looking for.

It is made worse in that there are a lot of small niche markets that were
once served by radio stations, but which are no longer served because of
the increased operating costs and license cost has made it unprofitable for
them to broadcast to a small but often vocal market.
--scott

Old March 23rd 05, 06:30 PM
Sid Schweiger

Spoken like a true puppet of the FCC.

Spoken like yet another clueless moron, who thinks the laws don't apply to
him.