RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   FCC BUST IN TEXAS (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/70960-fcc-bust-texas.html)

[email protected] May 14th 05 07:26 PM

FCC BUST IN TEXAS

Hey Folks,
Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the
FCC. Here a list of the stuff that was hauled off:

NRG PLL-PRO 3 20W TRANSMITTER
NRG 220 WATT RF LINEAR AMPLIFIER
NRG PRO III STEREO CODER
NRG PRO III STEREO LIMITER COMPRESSOR
DAIWA CN-101L SWR+POWER METER
COMET CFM-95SL 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA
50 FEET OF LMR 400 COAX
KENWOOD R-1000 SW RECEIVER (my fathers old short-wave radio?)

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of
the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a
purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a
150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC
know about that?

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle
interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

Bill Blomgren May 14th 05 10:44 PM

On 14 May 2005 18:26:14 GMT, wrote:

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of
the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a
purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a
150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC
know about that?

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle
interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

The customs folk may be telling them, as all stuff coming into the country
gets customs declarations. Don't worry about having lost a few bucks worth of
equipment. The second time there will probably be nice healthy fines and
possible court action that people involved will be invited to participate in.

Save up 5 or 6 figures for your lawyer costs. You'll need them.

Scott Dorsey May 16th 05 07:19 AM

In article , wrote:
Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the
FCC. Here a list of the stuff that was hauled off:

NRG PLL-PRO 3 20W TRANSMITTER
NRG 220 WATT RF LINEAR AMPLIFIER
NRG PRO III STEREO CODER
NRG PRO III STEREO LIMITER COMPRESSOR
DAIWA CN-101L SWR+POWER METER
COMET CFM-95SL 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA
50 FEET OF LMR 400 COAX
KENWOOD R-1000 SW RECEIVER (my fathers old short-wave radio?)

That stuff isn't type-accepted. You should not be using it on the air.

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of
the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a
purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a
150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC
know about that?

The same way that if you bought an amp from HRO and didn't submit the
license along with it.

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle
interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

I'm not sure what the MEGA-MACHINE is, but if you're running non-type-accepted
gear that isn't custom-made, you're going to get a citation. It's good to
see that FCC at least enforcing _some_ technical standards these days, since
it's been a long time since they've paid much attention. Bring back annual
proof of performance measurements and hourly logs, that's what I'd suggest...
--scott

Sid Schweiger May 16th 05 07:19 AM

we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle interests of
the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

Brilliant, just brilliant. Advertise to the world that you intend to break
the law yet again. Why don't you just call the FCC and tell them? Oh,
sorry...YOU ALREADY DID!

Steve Sobol May 16th 05 07:19 AM

wrote:

Hey Folks,
Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the
FCC.

I don't want to start a flame war, but you're making it very difficult to
resist telling you what I really think about your complaints.

Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules, and since
you broke them and you obviously *knew* you were breaking them (you are, by
your own admission, a pirate), you really don't have any justification to
complain about the FCC seizing your equipment.

I understand and respect the fact that you may not agree with the current
rules. That's fine with me. And I don't think anyone here would claim that you
don't have a right to your opinion. But when you break the rules, even in the
name of civil disobedience, you risk getting punished, and that's obviously
what happened.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA -
http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

fredtv May 17th 05 07:55 PM

Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

I think the FCC should change the rules to allow higher power levels
depending on the type of equipment you're using.

Low power stations can provide a valuable service and should be allowed to
be part of the media mix.

Scott Dorsey May 18th 05 07:01 PM

In article , fredtv wrote:
Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

No. Crystal control is just as accurate as PLL control. And the FCC frankly
doesn't care _how_ you control frequency, just as long as it stays within
the specified limits.

I think the FCC should change the rules to allow higher power levels
depending on the type of equipment you're using.

Low power stations can provide a valuable service and should be allowed to
be part of the media mix.

That's what the whole LPFM licensing is about, and it's what the old Class D
allocation used to be about. The problem is that the bands are too crowded
for many of the things to be given out. There just aren't a lot of places
to shoehorn low power stations today because there are already too many
stations on the bands.

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.
--scott

Charlie May 19th 05 04:12 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , fredtv wrote:

Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

No. Crystal control is just as accurate as PLL control. And the FCC frankly
doesn't care _how_ you control frequency, just as long as it stays within
the specified limits.

Scott, the other item that's being missed by these people who believe
that they can use non type accepted equipment is the strenuous off
frequency emissions standards.

I think the FCC should change the rules to allow higher power levels
depending on the type of equipment you're using.

Low power stations can provide a valuable service and should be allowed to
be part of the media mix.

That's what the whole LPFM licensing is about, and it's what the old Class D
allocation used to be about. The problem is that the bands are too crowded
for many of the things to be given out. There just aren't a lot of places
to shoehorn low power stations today because there are already too many
stations on the bands.

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.
--scott

Charlie
--
To respond by Email remove never- from address

Korbin Dallas May 19th 05 04:13 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:01:23 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.
--scott

I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on a
Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Scott Dorsey May 19th 05 05:25 PM

Korbin Dallas wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:01:23 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.

I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on a
Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

I agree, but the chances of my ever running the FCC are about as good
as Clear Channel putting a classical station on the air.

Oh yes, and annual proof of performance measurements. I'd bring them back.
--scott