Old June 17th 05, 06:23 PM
Philip de Cadenet

Default The future of shortwave?

Don,

As for the cost of fixed stations.. I think WBCQ is on the cutting
edge, building a wind farm to power it's transmitters..

HCJB in Quito Ecuador built dams and hydroelectric generation facilities
to power there mega watt transmitter site.

I thought it was 500Kw and more recently it has been running 100Kw to
allow other transmitters in the region to also be used!
--
Philip de Cadenet
Transmitters 'R' Us

Old June 18th 05, 08:17 PM
a_s_t

Mike;

I reckon that SW does have a future, particularly for the 3rd World.
Additionally, who's to say that new technologies don't implode with viruses
or terrorism, wrecking computerised systems? Modern TV and radio (FM,
digital) provide sanitised pap. Like other group members have stated; SW is
a medium for the truth and objectivity.

--
Tom

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
I am interested in the latest views on this topic.

What do you think - has shortwave got a future?

Views/links to articles would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike