Old June 22nd 05, 09:44 PM

I guess this guy has never been to a less developed country where SW is
the only radio you can receive

I guess not. Hell, I live right here in NYC and at night the shortwave
bands are bursting at the seams.

Steve

Old June 22nd 05, 09:44 PM
Invader3K

Default The future of shortwave?

Shortwave still has an important part in many parts of the world. It
helps people in remote areas stay informed. It's much more practical
than TV, internet, or even standard AM/FM in certain aspects. I highly
doubt you'll see much more major shortwave broadcasting from developed
Western countries though, at least domestically.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:44 PM
David Eduardo

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message
I guess this guy has never been to a less developed country where SW is
the only radio you can receive.

I owned a commercial SW license in Ecuador in the 60-s and turned it in as I
could see no way of making it work.

Additionally, I owned 12 other stations in Ecuador, ranging from Quito and
Guaquil to Tulcan, Lago Agrio and Bahía de Caráquez.

I have worked in every Spanish speaking nation in Latin America except
Uruguay, Nicaragua and Cuba. I have visited every single one, some as many
as 100 times. I have lived in Puerto Rico, Ecuador, Mexico and Argentina.

Your assumption is not correct.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:18:48 +0000, sdaniel13 wrote:

Now that we've (once again) established that shortwave is dead, let's
hallucinating as we tune around the shortwave bands.

Steve

David Eduardo wrote:
"a_s_t" wrote in message
Mike;

I reckon that SW does have a future, particularly for the 3rd World.

SW started dying as an effective medium in Latin America in the 60's,
and
there has been a reduction of the number of stations on SW of about 80%
since then with very few left... SW receivers are seldom seen now.

Additionally, who's to say that new technologies don't implode with
viruses
or terrorism, wrecking computerised systems? Modern TV and radio (FM,
digital) provide sanitised pap. Like other group members have stated;
SW
is
a medium for the truth and objectivity.

Which explains why it seems that half the SW signals listenable in Latin
America are venagelical religious broadcasters and very little news of
any
kind is available.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:44 PM

Nope. Instead we listen to baseball games in English on Armed Forces
Radio.

Steve