Old June 24th 05, 05:43 AM
David Eduardo

Default The future of shortwave?

wrote in message ...
I guess this guy has never been to a less developed country where SW is
the only radio you can receive

I guess not. Hell, I live right here in NYC and at night the shortwave
bands are bursting at the seams.

And very little of it is of relevance to rural residents in the Third World,
such as Latin America. Which is why it is almost as difficult to find an SW
receiver at retail there as it is in the USA.

Old June 24th 05, 07:40 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message ...
I guess this guy has never been to a less developed country where
SW is the only radio you can receive

I guess not. Hell, I live right here in NYC and at night the
shortwave bands are bursting at the seams.

And very little of it is of relevance to rural residents in the Third
World, such as Latin America. Which is why it is almost as difficult
to find an SW receiver at retail there as it is in the USA.

Your view is just to extreme. There is plenty on SW of relevance to
people in central and south America. How can world events not be?

You might want to reevaluate your attitude as it is downright dour.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old June 24th 05, 08:04 AM
David Eduardo

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message
I guess this guy has never been to a less developed country where
SW is the only radio you can receive

I guess not. Hell, I live right here in NYC and at night the
shortwave bands are bursting at the seams.

And very little of it is of relevance to rural residents in the Third
World, such as Latin America. Which is why it is almost as difficult
to find an SW receiver at retail there as it is in the USA.

Your view is just to extreme. There is plenty on SW of relevance to
people in central and south America. How can world events not be?

Very little of interst to rural residents in Latin America can be found on
SW. First, such folk are generally only Spanish or indigenous language
speakers (such as the Quechua and Aymará and Guaraní speakers of the Andean
zone and Paraguay. Second, rural residents are very poor, wtih annual
incomes of less than $600 on the average, where a SW receiver is generally
not an option. Third, international broadcasts have very little that affects
local life in rural Latin America, and nothing to do with the cultures of
those areas.

Even in metro areas, there is very little if any use of SW. In the 60´s, I
pored over radio audience research in Quito and Guayaquil, and in the late
70´s in a variety (over 12) of other countries. In some cases, like Quito
and Guayaquil, in 60,000 interfiews in late 1968, not one mention of any SW
station was made! At that time, Ecuador had over 100 SW stations, most of
which are gone now... I wonder why? Based on that, I cancelled a licence I
had as I realized running a SW transmitter only benefitted the Empresa
Eléctrica Quito, S.A.

You might want to reevaluate your attitude as it is downright dour.

Dour? No. realistic? Yes. There is a reason why more than 2/3 of Latin
America´s SW stations have disappeared in the last 30 or so years.