Old November 10th 05, 07:23 PM

Default Christie Banks/Rich Wood/Mike Ward - Old Thread Revisited

Sorry to re-hash an old thread but in light of mis-information and
more recent developments I feel like the thread has loose ends.

First here is the original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...015daff6c12caf

Ms. Banks had every opportunity to say "No thanks" before I spent
hundreds of dollars traveling to DC to meet with her. For whatever
reason she chose not to, and as everyone in this group can attest that
hundreds of dollars do not come easy in this business. I spoke with Ms
Banks the day before my departure and she was well aware of my
intention to travel to DC to meet with her. It was only after I
arrived in DC and tried to schedule a meeting with Ms. Banks that she
quit taking and returning my calls. Accusations that this was an
"impulsive action" are total bull****.. I expressed a sincere desire
to return to my home town and continue my broadcasting career, I felt
by showing some initiative and coming to DC to meet with Ms Banks, it
would underscore my sincerity, but unfortunately it simply left me
vulnerable to a cheap shot that I did not deserve. Thanks Christie!

There has never been anything stopping Ms Banks from posting "her side
of the story" in this forum. As I said in the original thread, I too
would like to hear her side of the story. She has chosen not to do so,
in my opinion because she has no legitimate excuse for her total lack
of professional ethics. She knows it, and so does anyone who read my
original post. Any half-baked justification on her part would just
further expose her true colors, and I doubt she wants that. The
opportunity was listed in FMQB as the "opportunity of a lifetime"
which kind of loses its impact when you post the same "opportunity of
a lifetime" every few months, as was the case here.

Last I heard Ms Banks was working for Clear Channel in Dallas and I
can't think of a better place for her to be. Clear Channel doesn't
even know the meaning of ethics, so I am sure Christie is fitting in
just fine assuming she hasn't been replaced by a harddrive or intern
working for free.

Michael Hughes and Max Dugan are running WARW now and I had the
pleasure of working for these two consummate professionals in Houston.
It appears as though they have removed the revolving door that Ms
Banks installed and one need look no further than Arbitron to see the
tangible results they have achieved. If WARW is looking for airstaff
in the future, I believe that it would truly be an opportunity of a
lifetime to work for 2 talented programmers with a decent set of
ethics and responsible management skills I can only hope I would be on
the short list based on what Dugan and Hughes know of me as their
former employee rather than the red flag that might have been attached
to my name in certain circles for being a whistle blower.

Mr Howell chimed in on the thread to stick up for Ms Banks, and to
boast of his "middle-management position in a top-rated,
independently-owned, medium market station" If you read the original
thread, he even had some suck-up blow his horn for him. I won't post
the brownie hounds name, I will simply refer to him as Waylon
Smithers.

Let's be realistic he Mr Howell did not get to the middle by
looking out for the little guy, why would this situation be any
different?

Is anyone surprised that he sided with the suits? Its almost as if he
was predisposed to it.

Rich Wood said: " Every job offer I've gotten or job I've applied for
has paid my transportation and hotel for the interview."

Well lucky you, I on the other hand have not always had the red carpet
rolled out for me, but my determination and persistence has paid off
on occasion. I've gotten job leads from going to remotes and talking
to other talent, taking program directors with 5X my salary to lunch
on my dime and working for low-budget small market stations
neighboring sewage treatment plants. I'm not bitter about paying my
dues, I'll do whatever it takes to get a good gig, and help my
employer succeed. I doubt Mr Wood would so much as drive a mile out of
his way to even hear about a job paying less than $100K, much less
travel at his own expense just to interview for a gig. This is part of
what seperates "us" from "them" and its pretty easy to see where Mr
Wood is coming from... the top. Not all of us have been as fortunate
as Mr Wood, and for every guy getting VIP treatment there are 100 of
us little guys busting our asses to make them look good. I've been
flown as far away as Sweden and put up in hotels by employers and
potential employers as well, I'm not going to paint some dreary
picture of my eating out of trash cans and living on the street, but
I wasn't looking for a free hotel in this scenario, I was looking for
my dream job in my hometown and was willing to go the extra mile to
bring it closer to fruition, many would respect that kind of effort,
but obviously not Mr Wood. I think his good fortune has tainted his
objectivity. I was board operating an (semi) automated station on the
graveyard shift for minimum wage while finishing High School when I
started in this business nobody GAVE me anything. I would venture to
say that Mr Wood would feel the actions I have detailed are beneath a
man of his stature and thus illustrate his insensitivity to those who
do the thankless grunt work to get gigs and keep things running
smoothly when the bigshots are sleeping or golfing.

If you want to pay some guy six figures to discourage potential
employees from going the extra mile, Mr Wood sounds like the guy for
the job. On the other hand, if you want a hard worker willing to roll
up his sleeves and do the things that need to be done but few want to
do, get in touch with me, I'd be glad to send you a resume or meet
with you to discuss how I can make a contribution.