Old March 17th 06, 08:04 PM posted to sci.engr.television.broadcast,rec.radio.broadcasting,ba.broadcast
Tiernan

Default Broadcast equipment preventive maintenance schedules

wrote:
Hiya! I'm a broadcast engineer who works for the gub'ment. To make a
long story short, my know-nothing bureaucrat superiors are pressuring
me to justify my job--these are people who wouldn't know a VTR from RTV
or a camera from a canned ham, so to speak. Part of the process of
educating these suits has been to submit a PM schedule. But NOW they're
asking me to back up my numbers with supporting documentation, e.g.,
manufacturer's recommendations, common industry practice and so on.
I've looked around and outside of a couple of things like overhaul
schedules in Sony VTR manuals, I'm coming up empty-handed! I could
really use some help. Can you point me to any specific manufacturer's
recommendations for PM schedules on any common items of television and
radio broadcast equipment? Would you be willing to share the PM
schedule you've written for YOUR station? Any sort of outside
documentation will help, since it wasn't written by me and will
therefore have instant credibility with my superiors (ha!).

Thanks in advance for your help. The job you save may be... mine

--Dave in New York

Dave....you need to go to radiolists.net and broadcast.net, now.

There are lists dedicated to these subjects and lots of engineers
subscribed. This newsgroup is a more general interest group about
broadcasting in the Bay Area. Specifically go to
and both provide
subscription information.

Dean