Old April 24th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
AnthroCoon Micro

Default WTWP, a first listen

They've also been replaying the Nationals games during the wee hours.

wrote in message
In the Washington DC area, WTOP 1500 has been replaced by WTWP,
"Washington Post Radio", on 1500.

I've listened to it a bit in the first two days. They seem to be
wanting to do in-depth coverage of news stories, ala NPR. They had
interviews with some local newsmakers and many interviews with
Washington Post columnists/reporters.

The style so far has very little polish. Nothing at all like listening
to Morning Edition or Fresh Air, for example. I had a hard time just
turning on a WTWP interview in drive-time and understanding what the
heck they're talking about. They talk for ten or fifteen minutes THEN I
finally get the context. I contrast this with NPR's news and talk shows
where tuning in and picking up the context is way easier. Of course
I've been listening to those NPR shows for decades, and I do not expect
WTWP to be a Xerox copy of NPR's spit and polish.

This evening they're doing a Nats game. Last night they had a typical
AM radio finance guru huckster program on.

Tim.