Old August 7th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Monitoring Channel 9

Hello all,

I'm a new amateur radio operator, and though I know a license isn't
required to use the CB frequencies I hope to add a CB radio to my ham
shack. Also living not far from a major interstate and a good distance
from any major cities I hope to keep it tuned to channel 9 to monitor
for emergencies. I guess two questions .. do folks still use Channel 9
for emergencies, and do any law enforcement agencies still monitor it?

My main reason for adding a CB radio was to get traffic updates since
we have to hit the interstate when heading almost anywhere, but I
figure if I can help passers-by with the same equipment, what a good
way to use the CB radio.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there and see if others do the
same thing ...

Alex

Old August 7th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I'm a new amateur radio operator, and though I know a license isn't
required to use the CB frequencies I hope to add a CB radio to my ham
shack. Also living not far from a major interstate and a good distance
from any major cities I hope to keep it tuned to channel 9 to monitor
for emergencies. I guess two questions .. do folks still use Channel 9
for emergencies, and do any law enforcement agencies still monitor it?

My main reason for adding a CB radio was to get traffic updates since
we have to hit the interstate when heading almost anywhere, but I
figure if I can help passers-by with the same equipment, what a good
way to use the CB radio.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there and see if others do the
same thing ...

Alex

Your better off monitoring 19.

Old August 7th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.pizza.delivery.drivers,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.hackers.malicious,rec.radio.amateur.policy

DrDeath wrote:
"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

IT'S "YOU'RE" NOT "YOUR" AS IN SHORT FOR "YOU ARE".
you ignorant *******!

Old September 9th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:27:18 -0500, "DrDeath"
wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I agree. I had a minor emergency recently (was almost out of gas), I
hollared on channel 9 for awhile and got no one. I went to channel 19
and within a minute was told where the nearest gas station was, and
the guy even offerred to follow me in case I actually ran out. He was
ahead of me, so I told him to just keep talking to me, and I'd see if
I could make the station. I made it, and thanked him for the help.

Old September 9th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

CB will always rule highway travel. 10-4
Old September 9th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:27:18 -0500, "DrDeath"
wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Cool! It's good to see when CB and in particular, channel 19 can actually be
a good resource. If I'm in an unfamiliar area I run 19 and can generally
find my way around. A lot of people put down CB as a waste of time and
channel 19 is viewed as an unusable channel due to the amount of people that
use it to chit chat, but I've found most people are quite helpful. Thanks
for sharing your positive experience.

--
Owner of Daryl Hunt
Master of Slow Code