Old August 31st 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
MC MC is offline

Default Radio req. for UK/Cept and SSB

I am thinking of returning to CB after an absence of 16/17 years so excuse
the ignorance (and the x-post). Can anybody point me in the right direction
as far as obtaining a decent radio for both UK/CEPT as well as SSB usage. I
have seen the likes of the Cobra 200 GTL DX etc... but I am unsure whether
these 10 meter types will allow me to use the UK frequencies or are the just
for working the 10/11 meter bands. I see a few reviews of various radios of
this type requiring mods to get them to use the UK freqs. I would prefer to
be able to use the radio "off the shelf" for both UK freqs and SSB.

As I will be using the radio in a "Shack" (shed to be precise) I will be
running from a 12v/110mah battery and, because the battery is only being
trickle charged from a solar panel, I do not want anything over-powered (The
100w of the Cobra 200 GTL DX may prove too much of a power draw).

I would be grateful of any recommendations. I have a budget of around £150
(£200 at a push).

Thanks

MC

Old August 31st 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb

Hi there MC,

There are many great radios to choose from these days and many good places
to buy them from .

The 10 meter radio may need some kind of conversion to work on the cb bands
for example - i used to have a Lincoln for the ham bands and needed a quick
mod to go onto the cb bands

For your information CB in the UK will be de-regulated in October meaning
you will no longr need a licence but will need to use "leagel" Radios.

The UK 40 will be gone by 2010 leaving us with the "Mid" / CEPT / EU Band of
40 channels AM / FM like here in Ireland

There is a great forum i can recomend that i am a member
http://cbradio.10.forumer.com/

i hope this will be some info for you to have a munch on
any more let me know

all the best

Steve - The Yoda

Old September 1st 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 04:24:29 +0100, MC wrote:

As I will be using the radio in a "Shack" (shed to be precise) I will be
running from a 12v/110mah battery and, because the battery is only being
trickle charged from a solar panel, I do not want anything over-powered (The
100w of the Cobra 200 GTL DX may prove too much of a power draw).

Are you sure about the battery capacity? Seems very low.

12V 110mAh would power a typical rig on *receive* for about 15 minutes and
on transmit for less than 5 minutes. A 100W rig transmitting at full
power would flatten it in seconds.

Old September 3rd 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,uk.rec.radio.cb
MC MC is offline

"Dean" wrote in message

I think he meant 110 Amp battery ;-)

Oops, sorry, yes that is what I meant