Old September 7th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default gmrs, antenna, base station?

Hey, I know this is CB territory, but the activity is high and you guys
know
this stuff.

Want to hook up a nice high antenna to allow us to keep in contact with

the kids up
at the cabin. I understand height is almost everything but I can't
find a cheap
5 wattish radio that has a antenna mount and power supply. Is there
one?
I expect the antenna/cable to cost about $200. ??

I also assume, that with an elevated antenna, I'll need a GMRS license.

Any comments welcome. Thanks

Old September 8th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Danwa1456:

Look up the Murs Radio Service, on Google or what ever search engine ya got.

It has 5 VHF frequencies, with no FCC license needed, allowed low power
use, of 2 watts. But the 2 watts works well with good antennas. We get
30 to 40 miles on Murs base stations here in the Mojave Desert.

I went Quail Hunting and we got 3 to 5 miles with no problem over
different locations and such, with the low cost modified 2 meter hand
held radios on low power.

I carry a extra battery when hunting. And have a 12 volt cigarette
adapter that will charge the hand held radios while in the truck drive
to a hunting location, or charge them over night in the truck.

GMRS we tried and didn't like the short range that came with these cheap
**** mass produced goof ball radios.

The VHF radios will cost more but will work much better. I picked up a
few used older VHF hand held radios from the local Motorola Commercial
Radio Dealer for real cheap. Extra batteries, antennas, and chargers.
Also on E-bay.

I have the kid tear up the local ecology on his dirt bike, he carries a
VHF Hand Held Radio, and I can keep track of him and his friends with a
base radio, using just a few watts.

Jay in the Mojave

Old September 8th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 7 Sep 2006 15:33:01 -0700, wrote:

PS I'd like to get a solid 3 mile range.

You can build a ground plane, which would be small at that frequency. The
problem with GMRS and FRS (I use FRS), is that foilage greatly reduces range. I
get greater range after the leaves fall in late Oct and Nov.

Vinnie S.

Old September 8th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Danwa1465:

Yeah a VHF Base Antenna could be mounted on a mast, and put into a tree.
You want to get the antenna above the tree. Use LMR 400 Flex Coax.

They make VHF or UHF Base Station Antennas so that they can be assembled
to what every frequency you want. I have a cheapie that cost about 60
dollars tuned for the Murs channels, and works great. Antenna is
reasonable like weight, about 9 feet long, so its would be easy to put
in a tree. HRO or AES can help you out with what ever antenna you need.

Again I suggest you look into the Murs radio service.

I have made VHF Base Station Antennas that can take several thousands
watts for the 2 meter band. But you don't need any of that heavy metal
hardware.

Jay in the Mojave

wrote:

Northern pine forest. Was hoping a nice, very high, antenna at the
cabin could
work in this environment. We have pines, some of the largest pines
around, and
if I could figure out how to get up there, we could get an antenna
"over" the tops
of all the trees in the area. If not, then I'd put it on top of a two
story barn.

Old September 9th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
I have made VHF Base Station Antennas that can take several thousands

watts for the 2 meter band.

Hi Jay.

Meh Meh My Carona! hehe
Old September 9th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Jay in the Mojave wrote:

I have made VHF Base Station Antennas that can take several thousands

watts for the 2 meter band.

Hi Jay.

Meh Meh My Carona! hehe

Yeah those are for the 435 and S.S.S.S. (Seven Six Secert Service) guys

Issue the lead helmets please.....

Jay in the Mojave
Old September 9th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Jay in the Mojave wrote:

I have made VHF Base Station Antennas that can take several thousands

watts for the 2 meter band.

Hi Jay.

Meh Meh My Carona! hehe

Yeah those are for the 435 and S.S.S.S. (Seven Six Secert Service) guys

Issue the lead helmets please.....

Jay in the Mojave

The sound of ground rods being hammered in..

Part # 2 - The Simplest Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas That I Know Of . . . RHF Shortwave 0 June 2nd 06 10:57 AM
Idine Ghoreishian -by- Idine Ghoreishian { The SPGC Antenna by RHF } RHF Shortwave 6 May 22nd 06 07:38 AM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 09:37 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM