Old September 21st 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Sonic Cushion Speaker Wiring?

Hello Jimmie D:

No I didn't think of that! Maybe worth a try.

I have a good friend on 40 that is going to send me a custom circuit
that is supposed to do all this, and has a smart squelch to. We will see.

Jay in the Mojave

Jimmie D wrote:

Have you thought about putting a photo resistor in paralell with or
replacing your resistor, light from the bulb wuold casue the resistance to
decrease this should make the circuit more responsive. Its been a long time
since I played with photoressitors so I dont remember what kind of
resistance range they have. If they get low enough this could work pretty
decent.

I never thought that trying to do this on an 8 ohm circuit was such a great
idea. Doing it at sayy 100 ohms might be better using a lower wattage bulb
than the #47. Even at 8 ohms I thought a 3 volt flashlight bulb may do
better.

I never tried these ideas though because I took another route building my
own select-o-ject and incorporating an AVC circuit into it.

Old September 21st 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
I have a good friend on 40 that is going to send me a custom circuit
that is supposed to do all this, and has a smart squelch to. We will see.

Smart squelch? Please explain...

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old September 22nd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Brian:

The Smart Squelch is supposed to be smart, just as its said! That is the
squelch will open or turn on the receiver audio when a signal is
received in the receivers IF. A separate pick off of the IF RF is
sampled and then its supposed to only open the Squelch when there is a
real signal, and is not supposed to work on noise, bleed over, static
and such. The Smart Squelch is supposed to be able to discern between
noises and a real RF signal. And its advertised as having a very high
percentage of success, being able to only open the receiver with a rf
signal and not noise.

I built a Analog Smart Squelch back in the 80's for my Motorola System
500 Mobile SSB/AM CB Radio. (which all ready had a active Motorola noise
canceling circuit in the IF Section) It worked real well. It was great
driving down the freeway and not hearing motor noise, like setting at
home. The Smart Squelch came from a article in a magazine, and I bought
the kit and put it together.

But this new circuit is supposed to be digital. I haven't seen it yet.

But I know a lot of guys are using the Heil, Alpha Delta, and others
External Speakers with DSP for extra noise cancelling. I have a Heil DSP
External Speaker, and it works great, just need a smart squelch to go
with it.

Jay in the Mojave

Old September 22nd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

You may have to show off those kredentials again, Jay. I know I always
enjoy seeing them.

Old September 22nd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Telstar Electronics wrote:
Jay in the Mojave wrote:

I have a good friend on 40 that is going to send me a custom circuit
that is supposed to do all this, and has a smart squelch to. We will see.

Smart squelch? Please explain...

www.telstar-electronics.com

I remember something that use a "bucket brigrade" audio delay line in a
sqeich circuit in late 70s or early 80s. The audio was delayed a few
milliseconds so the hardware would have time to analyse the signal to see if
it should be squelched or not. Is this what yu are talking about. Probably a
piece of cake for DSP.

My first experience with DSP was in the Air Force. I was sent to school on
this new modem and endured a month of theory on how modems worked all built
around analog devices. In reality this thing was just a RISC computer
attached to D/A and A/D converters. The only thing analog about it was a
couple of op amps used on the input and output.. The modem itself was tiny
but the cabinet it was in was huge. I guess it had to be this way for all
the human interface that was needed.

Old September 22nd 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Telstar Electronics wrote:

Jay in the Mojave wrote:

[...]

Oh really, now thats interesting, the "bucket brigade" type delayed
signal for processing. Yeah I would think so, DSP that is now working at
the IF Frequencies should be able to handle all that.

Yeah I am sure the Modem must be able to account for data from noise or
other unwanted voltages seen. I am no Modem expert but your description
sounds like typical of over done military hardware. Maybe the engineers
wanting it to look like something big as it really didn't need to be.
Trying to sell the hardware, as compared to having to deploy with a
bunch of stuff that takes up too much space on a military transport
aircraft. Thats where the military needs to hire a separate maintenance
consultant group, not looking for a star placed next to their name.

I think we have only seen the tip of the Ice Burg here with DSP (Digital
Signal Processing). My old used Icom 746 Pro HF radio, is a first
generation DSP radio. I am able to adjust the Radio's IF (Intermedent
Frequency) Filters at a snap of a switch. Its noise reduction is
fantastic. Stations on USB can almost be rejected when monitoring LSB.

I would think more new wiz bang stuff is coming for DSP.

Jay in the Mojave

Kreediantials:

Rock & Roll fan, got both kinds of music

Owner 1967 Ford F250 4x4 Truck, no smog ****, has Hipo 460 CI Engine,
has worlds loudest PA System, great for oldie but goodie night at the
drive ins, or just wanting some normal person to get out of the way.

5 Kollege credits, 3 for passing, 2 for leavin early!

Got new gas operated Dryer, now got unsed 220 Volt plug for big Linear,
don't have to pull out Ma's oven to get 220 Volts no more, she don't
mind the big cord going thru the Kitchen into the washer and dryer room
from the living room

Happy to be alive and in good health, some folks don't have that blessing.
Old September 22nd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
The Smart Squelch is supposed to be able to discern between
noises and a real RF signal.

This is the key. I would certainly like to know how this is
accomplished. Seems to me this would be a complicated problem.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old September 23rd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello TE:

Yes agreed. I don't have a clue. But somehow its supposed to be able to
see the difference. And it can't be perfect, as everyone voice is
different, and there has to be a Gazillion types of noises out there!

My computer power supply had to engineered to generate noises and trash
in the RF Spectrum. I shielded it, added in filters, grounded the
computer like a radio, all helped but was not the cure. A year ago the
computer power supply died. The Computer Tech Dude said it was the wrong
kind, too small. OH Good!. Now with a modern larger power supply, only
the hand held will pick up noises when near the computer, not out in the
street. I could always tell when the kid was on the computer from the
radio picking up noise from the driveway.

Jay in the Mojave

Old September 23rd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Telstar Electronics wrote:

Jay in the Mojave wrote:

The Smart Squelch is supposed to be able to discern between
noises and a real RF signal.

This is the key. I would certainly like to know how this is
accomplished. Seems to me this would be a complicated problem.

www.telstar-electronics.com

I had the same problem using a computer power supply. I t really quietened
off after putting some small caps across the rectifiers.
You have to remember there are 2 sets of rectifiers. One changes the 120 or
240 vac to 300volts dc or so, this is sent to a switcher where it is turned
into AC again then rectified again. I think the caps were .001 for the 60hz
part and and .0001 for the switched part. These values are a guess as it has
been a while since I did this. I dont think the newer ones have this
problem.

I also saw where it is possible to rewire computer power supplies so you can
get something on the order of 50 volts at 10 amps. The one I saw took
rewiring the transformer with a new secondary and maintaing the 5 volt
winding for regulation. I want to get back to this, sounds like it would
make a good power supply for a FET amp.

External Speaker for your Radio/Receiver - You Can Hear It ! RHF Shortwave 0 October 27th 05 11:38 PM
cb speaker wiring bugsy CB 1 September 30th 04 01:49 PM
FS: PSC-10 Hammarlund Speaker for HQ-129X Michael Melland Swap 1 February 7th 04 02:49 AM
FS: PSC-10 Hammarlund Speaker for HQ-129X Michael Melland Boatanchors 1 February 7th 04 02:47 AM
Ext. Speaker Wiring Help ?? steelguitar Scanner 5 October 5th 03 05:00 AM