Old November 20th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Magnum Delta Force distorted SSB modulation when cold.

My radio does not like low temperature. When cold (e.g. less than 50
deg. F), the SSB modulation is bad. Its a sort of brumming noise
superimposed on the audio. Strange, if I change to AM or FM, the
modulation is good, under same low temperature conditions. So, it
seems that the microphone is OK.

What I do now is to heat the radio using a hair drier until the SSB
modulation is OK. In a cold room, I need to do this every 15 minutes
or so.

Any ideas of what causes this, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Julian

Old November 20th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Julian wrote:
My radio does not like low temperature. When cold (e.g. less than 50
deg. F), the SSB modulation is bad. Its a sort of brumming noise
superimposed on the audio. Strange, if I change to AM or FM, the
modulation is good, under same low temperature conditions. So, it
seems that the microphone is OK.

What I do now is to heat the radio using a hair drier until the SSB
modulation is OK. In a cold room, I need to do this every 15 minutes
or so.

Any ideas of what causes this, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Julian

Sounds like maybe an oscillation. In any event... this sounds like a
job that will require a scope and schemetic. I don't see that you have
any other choice but to take this one in for repair.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old November 20th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 20 Nov 2006 02:11:09 -0800, "Julian" wrote:

My radio does not like low temperature. When cold (e.g. less than 50
deg. F), the SSB modulation is bad. Its a sort of brumming noise
superimposed on the audio. Strange, if I change to AM or FM, the
modulation is good, under same low temperature conditions. So, it
seems that the microphone is OK.

What I do now is to heat the radio using a hair drier until the SSB
modulation is OK. In a cold room, I need to do this every 15 minutes
or so.

Any ideas of what causes this, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Julian

Explain the word Brumming. Is it synonymous with vibrating?

Superimposed or additive?
Old November 21st 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

The distorsion is superimposed on voice, rather than additive. Its
like the voice becames modulated and distorted. Reducing the
microphone gain does not help. As under the same conditions, the AM or
FM modulation is not affected, I wonder whether the SSB modulator has a
sensitive component.

Old November 21st 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 20 Nov 2006 22:03:17 -0800, "Julian" wrote:

The distorsion is superimposed on voice, rather than additive. Its
like the voice becames modulated and distorted. Reducing the
microphone gain does not help. As under the same conditions, the AM or
FM modulation is not affected, I wonder whether the SSB modulator has a
sensitive component.

Explain the word Brumming. Is it synonymous with vibrating?

Superimposed or additive?

Most likely the voltage regulation to the vco is being compromised.

Old November 23rd 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

If it was affecting the VCO then FM wouldn't lock. Up North here we
get this problem every so often. It's a cap on the power supply,
usually somewhere around the driver or pre-driver. Just get a can of
freon from Radio Shaft (if they still sell it) and squirt the caps one
by one until you find the bad one and replace it.

But how does this work, I mean how one could see whether the cap is
defective by spraying it with freon?. Is just squirting the caps one
by one, while the TRX is warm, and see which cold cap creates
distorsion, or the defective cap will show up in some different way?

Thanks,
Julian

Old November 27th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote...

Explain the word Brumming.

Where is Voobner when you need him?

:~)
Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Old November 21st 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap

"Julian" wrote in
ups.com:

My radio does not like low temperature. When cold (e.g. less than 50
deg. F), the SSB modulation is bad. Its a sort of brumming noise
superimposed on the audio. Strange, if I change to AM or FM, the
modulation is good, under same low temperature conditions. So, it
seems that the microphone is OK.

What I do now is to heat the radio using a hair drier until the SSB
modulation is OK. In a cold room, I need to do this every 15 minutes
or so.

Any ideas of what causes this, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Julian

Yes, I've heard of this problem before. You're too friggen stupid to own
a radio like that, so just throw it in the dumpster before the FCC fines
your retarded ass.

SC