Old April 27th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Modulation meter accuracy?

How accurate are these SWR/Power/Modulation meters for modulation? I am
restoring an old TRC-455. I want to get to 100% or just under. I do have a
scope, but figured that would actually be more difficult to measure.

Vinnie S.
Old April 27th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 26, 7:01 pm, Vinnie S. wrote:
How accurate are these SWR/Power/Modulation meters for modulation? I am
restoring an old TRC-455. I want to get to 100% or just under. I do have a
scope, but figured that would actually be more difficult to measure.

I think a lot has to do with the cost of the meter.
Some of the cheapo ones may be as bad as 25% tolerance... while some
of the better ones may be 15% tolerance.
The scope is a much better tool... and easy to visually see 100%. The
scope would probably be more like 2-3% accuracy.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 27th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 26 Apr 2007 17:14:56 -0700, Telstar Electronics
wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:01 pm, Vinnie S. wrote:
How accurate are these SWR/Power/Modulation meters for modulation? I am
restoring an old TRC-455. I want to get to 100% or just under. I do have a
scope, but figured that would actually be more difficult to measure.

I think a lot has to do with the cost of the meter.
Some of the cheapo ones may be as bad as 25% tolerance... while some
of the better ones may be 15% tolerance.
The scope is a much better tool... and easy to visually see 100%. The
scope would probably be more like 2-3% accuracy.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Do I inject a 1 KHz tone right into the mic plug, or do I have to go thru the
mic?

Vinnie S.
Old April 27th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 26, 7:16 pm, Vinnie S. wrote:
Do I inject a 1 KHz tone right into the mic plug, or do I have to go thru the
mic?

I would definately use the mic you plan to use with the rig. I usually
use 2KHz as a mid-point for audio (voice) adjustment. Then adj your
limiter accordingly. This should give you close to what you seek if
the 2KHz volume is at a reasonable level that would be representitive
of your voice.

P.S. If you had a Voicemax... you could adjust your modulation for
100%... and it would stay at 100% from 100Hz-20KHz... when you were
whispering or screaming. That's the beauty of an AGC...

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 27th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

P.S. If you had a Voicemax... you could adjust your modulation for
100%... and it would stay at 100% from 100Hz-20KHz... when you were
whispering or screaming. That's the beauty of an AGC...

I've got a old Fostex compressor I sometimes put between my scanner and
some amplified speakers. I can hear the TAC units whispering just as loud
as the dispatcher. The PRO-96 units have a built in AGC in digital APCO-25
mode. That feature won't work in the analog mode, only digital MOT-II systems.

Old April 27th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 26, 11:57 pm, Scott in Baltimore
wrote:
I've got a old Fostex compressor I sometimes put between my scanner and
some amplified speakers. I can hear the TAC units whispering just as loud
as the dispatcher. The PRO-96 units have a built in AGC in digital APCO-25
mode. That feature won't work in the analog mode, only digital MOT-II systems.

Is that unit you have a "clipper"?

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 28th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:
I've got a old Fostex compressor I sometimes put between my scanner and
some amplified speakers. I can hear the TAC units whispering just as loud
as the dispatcher. The PRO-96 units have a built in AGC in digital APCO-25
mode. That feature won't work in the analog mode, only digital MOT-II systems.

Is that unit you have a "clipper"?

No, it's a compressor for music.
Old April 28th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 28, 7:16 am, Scott in Baltimore
wrote:
Is that unit you have a "clipper"?

No, it's a compressor for music.

OK... just curious.

http://www.telstar-electronics.com/d...cialOffers.htm

Old April 29th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

ps.com...
wrote:
Is that unit you have a "clipper"?

No, it's a compressor for music.

OK... just curious.

http://www.telstar-electronics.com/d...cialOffers.htm

Why are you selling it again? Didn't work right?

Old April 29th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 29, 10:34 am, "Yo Mamma" wrote:
Why are you selling it again? Didn't work right?

Nice try... lol
The last pre-production unit is being auctioned off.

http://www.telstar-electronics.com/d...cialOffers.htm