Old July 11th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default legal power

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:50:08 -0400, "David" wrote:

Does anyone run legal power anymore? I can sit in my jeep and work the
United States and many times the world on any band from 10 to 40 meters
running 40 watts. But I can't seem to make a damn CB contact. I modified
my Yaesu FT840 for open TX when the 60 meter band became available to hams
and I can TX on the CB channels now. Even running 20 W AM no one seems to
hear me on any CB channel though I can tune up to 10 Meters and get a 59+20
signal report from Arizona an the same radio and antenna. I'm starting to
think that every CBer runs 600 Watts with a bad receiver. I used to have a
lot of fun with a little 4 watt CB when I was a kid and before I got my ham
ticket.

David KG2LI

The CB band has gone to hell this summer. I cannot engage in local rag chew
because I have DX coming in like they are next door. I love DX, but sometime I
want to just BS with my friends.

Vinnie S.
Old July 11th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

The CB band has gone to hell this summer. I cannot engage in local rag chew
because I have DX coming in like they are next door. I love DX, but sometime I
want to just BS with my friends.

And now you know why I earned privileges on lots of other frequencies.
11 meters is now just one band of many. I find folks that stay on one
band only. If you want to meet new people, you've just got to poke around...
Old July 15th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Frank Gilliland" wrote...

CFR95.425(a): You must not make or have any one else make any internal
modification to your CB transmitter.
CFR95.425(c): You must not operate a CB transmitter which has been
modified by anyone in any way,....

You radios are illegal and operating them is illegal. You manufacture
and sell a product which has the sole purpose of illegal modification
and operation.

Out of interest, would it be legal if he put it in a box as a plug in
unit?

Regards,
Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Old July 15th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:23:10 +0100, " Peter"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote...

CFR95.425(a): You must not make or have any one else make any internal
modification to your CB transmitter.
CFR95.425(c): You must not operate a CB transmitter which has been
modified by anyone in any way,....

You radios are illegal and operating them is illegal. You manufacture
and sell a product which has the sole purpose of illegal modification
and operation.

Out of interest, would it be legal if he put it in a box as a plug in
unit?

Yep, as long as the radio is not modified. The only external device
that is prohibited by Part 95 is an RF power amp.

That's U.S. rules, BTW.

Old July 23rd 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Frank Gilliland" wrote...
" Peter" wrote:

Out of interest, would it be legal if he put it in a box as
a plug in unit?

Yep, as long as the radio is not modified. The only external
device that is prohibited by Part 95 is an RF power amp.

That's U.S. rules, BTW.

As I expected :~)

Here in the UK, the use of power amps and pre-amps are
both illegal. However, as possession is not illegal, they
have to prove use.
The use of a SWR meter is only allowed while testing
the antenna.

External microphones could be a grey (or gray) area. The
radio is tested for approval, with the microphone that
will be supplied.
I believe that, if the manufacturer changes the microphone
supplied they must submit the radio for retesting - at a
very high cost.

But I see nothing in the rules about users plugging in any
replacement microphone they can get their hands on.

However, back to my original point...

His present method:
1. Is illegal.
2. Is only a board - putting off general CBers.
3. Is not as impressive to a CBer as a finished product.
4. Allows "screwdriver experts" to fekk up the
fitting and blame his product.
5. Has no way of proving "tampering", as the customer
is supposed to "tamper".
6. Allows less profit, with the extra going to
people, who may be wrecking the equipment.
7. Encourages "DIY" bodging inside radio.

What the potential customer is asking for:
1. Is legal.
2. Is "plug & play - CBer friendly.
3. Is a finished product and can look that way.
4. Ensures that only the manufacturer does
the wiring.
5. Can be warranty sealed.
6. Allows the manufacturer to make extra money
on the complete product.
7. Ensures the radio remains working as designed.

Yep, I can see why he decided to keep it as an
add-on board... You tell a CBer that the product
is legal, there's no way they are going to buy it.
:~)